Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the week - Dec 7, 2003 (3.IV.)
on: December 07, 2003 12:38
From The Two Towers, Chapter IV, "Treebeard"
... And these trees grew and grew, till the shadow of each was like a green hall, and their red berries in the autumn were a burden, and a beauty and a wonder. Birds used to flock there. I like birds, even when they chatter; and the rowan has enough and to spare. But the birds became unfriendly and greedy and tore at the trees , and threw the fruit down and did not eat it.

[Edited on 7/12/2003 by PotbellyHairyfoot]

[Edited on 28/1/2004 by Figwit]
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the week - Dec 7, 2003 (3.IV.)
on: December 07, 2003 11:40
I always liked that quote, it's by Quickbeam isn't it? To me it sort of signifies the way humans have treated the world and all its inhabitants - there's plenty but we also want more, and in the end nothing but our own handiwork pleases us: we prefer wine over water, manipulated meat over a real chicken and strawberry candy over real strawberries.

I wonder if Tolkien ever realised how correct he was here, and if he hoped that writing this might open some people's eyes and make them change their behaviour?
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: December 09, 2003 09:45
Evil in middle-earth was spreading like a plague: even the birds were under its influence. Not just speaking creatures are affected by what is growing in the world. Except for Bombadil, it seems that all living creatures can be influenced by the spread of evil.
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: December 09, 2003 10:40
Evil in middle-earth was spreading like a plague: even the birds were under its influence. Not just speaking creatures are affected by what is growing in the world. Except for Bombadil, it seems that all living creatures can be influenced by the spread of evil.

What about Goldberry? Would you include her with Bombadil????
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: December 12, 2003 09:23
It is true that Golbberry was also unaffected by the evils of the world. I guess that I was lumping the two of them together. They lived in their own little world, with evil around them (Old man Willow, Barrow-wights) but it had no effect on them.
The quote could also indicate the problems arising from the loss of the entwives and the Ents' inability to increase their population to what was needed to protect their forest.
Stoneheart
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2003 12:50
... And these trees grew and grew, till the shadow of each was like a green hall, and their red berries in the autumn were a burden, and a beauty and a wonder. Birds used to flock there. I like birds, even when they chatter; and the rowan has enough and to spare. But the birds became unfriendly and greedy and tore at the trees , and threw the fruit down and did not eat it.

To me, it's a gentle reminder that the perils extended far beyond the obvious. It's easy to get caught up in the key battles and assume that the rest of Middle earth was getting along just fine.

Oh, hello all, first time poster. Looking forward to joining in with the book club and really digging in. Well met!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email