Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the week - Dec 14/03 (3.V.)
on: December 14, 2003 01:27
From The Two Towers, chapter V The White Rider
'Dangerous!' cried Gandalf. 'And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord. And Aragorn is dangerous, and Legolas is dangerous. You are beset, with dangers,Gimli son of Gloin; for you are dangerous yourself, in your own fashion. Certainly the forest of Fangorn is perilous -

[Edited on 28/1/2004 by Figwit]
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the week - Dec 14/03 (3.V.)
on: December 15, 2003 12:59
I just love this quote, PbHf! Thanks for putting it up. All in all this is a very humorous chapter, with a very witty Legolas and a grumpy and sarcastic Gandalf. I prefer Gandalf the Grey for many reasons, but I just love Grumpy Gandalf...

It's also a pretty deep quote, when you think of it: indeed everyone and everything is dangerous in its own way - but can that be said of everything? Does the same thing go for beauty, or for goodness?
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: December 15, 2003 10:59
everyone and everything is dangerous in its own way - but can that be said of everything? Does the same thing go for beauty, or for goodness?

Oh yes .... definately in Tolkien, and I suspect in real life too. Remember the quote that says that Gandalf with the Ring would be worse than Sauron with the Ring? Corrupting pure goodness into evil would be a much worse matter than simply having evil. I know that that is a special case, but it is applicable, I think
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: December 15, 2003 11:49
well, it's sort of what happens to Saruman, imho

I was thinking more of the Huorns, the Orcs & Uruks, the Trolls... is their goodness and beauty in them - are they good and beautiful in their own way?
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: December 16, 2003 12:02
I was thinking more of the Huorns, the Orcs & Uruks, the Trolls... is their goodness and beauty in them - are they good and beautiful in their own way?

Of course they are
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email