Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the week - Jan18/04 (3.VIII.)
on: January 18, 2004 10:22
I chose this quote for its look into the culture of the dwarves.

From The Two Towers, Chapter VIII, The Road to Isengard
...We would tend these glades of flowering stone, not quarry them. with cautious skill, tap by tap- a smal chip of rock and no more, perhaps in a whole anxious day - so we could work, and as the years went by, we should open up new ways, and display far chambers that are still dark, glimpsed only as a void between fissures in the rock...

Here once again, we find Gimli becoming passionate, as when he discussed his gift from Galadriel..

[Edited on 28/1/2004 by Figwit]
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the week - Jan18/04 (3.VIII.)
on: January 19, 2004 08:22
I absolutely LOVE this part of the book: Gimli's speech about the Glittering Caves is just magical.

And indeed, one of the most fascinating things is how Gimli tries to explain certain aspects of his culture to Legolas. Somehow I hear Tolkien's ideas on technology resonate through Gimli's words: there are different ways of using natural resources.

Good choice!
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the week - Jan18/04 (3.VIII.)
on: February 07, 2004 11:41
Really, I look at this moment as a point where Gimli and Legolas' friendship is driven deeper than a lots-of-time-spent-together-same-purpose type of friendship, which it obviously becomes. Gimli uses the words "glade" and "flowering", which obviously are reminiscent of the green living things that elves love, and the thought that "...a small chip of rock and no more, perhaps in a whole anxious day - so we could work, and as the years went by..." shows such patience and tenderness as is rarely seen in dwarves. It just seems to me that Legolas and Gimli form a deep bond here, a love of beautiful, natural things, only doing the barest minimum of interferance to bring it to it's maximum potential. It doesn't matter that the things they love are different: Green plants and glittering stone. What matters is that they can understand one another at that level, and take that understanding into different parts of themselves, however different they may seem.

Wow...I got really philosophical there. :love: The Professor's work just brings it out in me, I guess.

~Rosie
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email