Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post 3.IX. Flotsam and Jetsam
on: January 28, 2004 01:46
- What's the importance of the pipe-weed?

- The account of Merry and Pippin offers an explanation for a series of events in previous chapters. Are their things that are left unexplained?
Is this a better method than really describing the action?

- We're once again faced with 'water'. Where do we encounter it before, and what could it symbolize?

PbHf's Quote of the Week deals with Merry & Pippin's perception of Saruman and the pipeweed.

[Edited on 31/3/2004 by Figwit]
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
Post RE: 3.IX. Flotsam and Jetsam
on: January 29, 2004 08:08
We're once again faced with 'water'. Where do we encounter it before, and what could it symbolize?

Water is a purifying element. It drowns the evil, and washes away the filth the evil has left behind. Here, I think of the flood that overwhelmed the Ringwraiths at the Ford of Bruinen.
Ioreth_Fimbrethil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 08:22
Funny, I was going to say the same but you posted before I could type Morwinyoniel!

About the pipe-weed. I like how this seems to be all a hobbit needs to feel at home. I've never smoked and probably never will, but if I did I'd like to use a pipe... it has this homely feel.
Of course we can also see that to Aragorn it means more than just the comfort and a "coïncidence" maybe he's right to worry about how the weed came to Isengard!
Figwit
Send Message
on: January 31, 2004 11:55
- We're once again faced with 'water'. Where do we encounter it before, and what could it symbolize?

I know I'd be breaking my own rules with this answer, so those who don't want spoilers for the Silmarillion, back out .

I can't help but thinking about how the rivers have always still been inhabited by Ulmo - do you think that could have something to do with it?
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 05:27
I also thought of that - just didn't want to bring it up because it's only told in the Sil. This may well have something to do with the purifying effect of the water.

The way the events in Isengard are presented, told by Merry and Pippin, works unbelievably well in the book. The Hobbits give quite a full and vivid description about the doings of the Ents, and Saruman's reactions, as much as they can see them. In fact, it makes the story more real for me - we see everything through their eyes. I've never felt that something important was left out by doing it this way; rather, it is nice that there are some riddles in the previous chapters that get explained only later.

As for the pipeweed, it is a piece of luxury, in addition to a piece of home for the Hobbits. And, as Ioreth mentioned, it's a sign that maybe Saruman was not so ignorant about the Shire as he pretended to be.
Figwit
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 12:33
I like it the way it is too - it has this little side-comments that are truly hobbity, and it also refers to the tradition of story-telling Hobbits have.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 03, 2004 03:29
- What's the importance of the pipe-weed?
As a n00b on the Book Club, I want to give my opinion about this.

Not only it illustrates the feeling to be at home, but also, imho, it shows that Saruman in fact is sensitive for the little joys of life, even though he does not want to admit it to somebody else (not even to Gandalf). And that he in fact has some sort of contact with the Shire (perhaps needed them at first?), in spite of his 'dislike' of Hobbits. Well, not particularly dislike, but I feel he merely sees them as a minor people, not important in the big plan of the World. A strange thing for someone who wanted to be seen as a mighty and independent one.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email