Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the week- feb 16th 2004 [3.XI.P]
on: February 16, 2004 12:53
From TTT, chapter XI The Palantir
" Wait a moment! We shall meet again soon. Tell Saruman that this dainty is not for him. I will send for it at once. Do you understand? Say just that!"

Pippin's insatiable hobbit curiosity could have done serious damage, but instead, things may have worked out for the best. Sauron probably thinks that the ring is with Saruman now and he is less likely to be actively searching for it, possibly making things a bit safer on the east side of the Anduin, where Sam and Frodo were last seen. Saruman now has a lot of explaining to do when the boss sends for the hobbit and he cannot be produced.

[Edited on 29/3/2004 by Figwit]
legolasfan27
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the week- feb 16th 2004 [3.XI.P]
on: February 17, 2004 09:04
Nice choice of quote from this chapter! What might have been disastrous actually helped the cause of the Companions in the East, so maybe Pippin's curiosity wasn't such a coincidence after all....I was actually disappointed not to have a scene to read between Sauron and Saruman when Saruman found himself in the "cleft stick" he had created for himself, as Gandalf put it... Vinidictive of me, but I would have liked to hear him try to talk his way out of not being able to produce the Hobbit and the Ring!:evil:
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 07:07
Sometimes, I really wonder why Sauron let Saruman live after he had screwed up so badly...
legolasfan27
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 01:05
I guess by the time he cared to do anything about it, Sauron had other things on his mind like the assault on Minas Tirith and the possible reappearance of the Heir of Isildur...Doubt often leads to disastrous procrastination, in this case the disaster was what Saruman later did in the Shire, not so much what happened to Sauron.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 03:20
I wonder if it's luck or chance; or just like so many things in Tolkien's books 'fate'. After all: if Treebeard hadn't chased Gríma into Orthanc, if Gríma's aim hadn't been so bad, if the Hobbit's hadn't been left behind on the staircase, if it had been Merry in stead of Pippin, if...
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 03:32
Fate ....

Even the smallest of things can change the path of the world .....
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email