Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
Post Morgoth and the Silmarils [keep ~ link]
on: February 18, 2004 11:11
Why do you think that Morgoth wanted and coveted the Silmarils so much?

Was it their beauty? Was it the fact they represented the light of the Two Trees or the glory of Valinor? Was it the fact that he knew the Valar and the Eldar loved the jewels and Morgoth wanted to find a way to hurt his enemies?

What do you think???

[Edited on 8/7/2007 by cirdaneth]
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Morgoth and the Silmarils [keep ~ link]
on: February 19, 2004 02:23

I've only just started reading The Silmarillion, quite an intrepid endeavour. However, in answer to you questions, from what *I* could feel or understand, I would have to say that as Morgoth was/is one of the Valar, he would know their feelings and realise *exactly* what the Silmarils mean to them, therefore its a way of hurting them as much as he could.

Also, possibly a little of taking the light out of their lives.

Earnur
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 05:56
I think there are several possibilities, and it might be a combination of these.

1. He envied the Valar and their power, so he wanted some of the light that represented that power. He wanted to feel powerful himself, although the silmarills didn't give him any powers, except a scorched, black hand, and a stiff neck from having to bear a very heavy crown.

2. I guess he also wanted to hurt the Valar as much as he could.

3. Quite similar to no. 2: An act of revenge against Fëanor and the Valar

4. Greed. He simply wanted to have those nice, shiny things.

In short, he didn't really have any use for the Silmarills, but he wanted to hurt his enemies as much as he could. That's what I think.

Tcherepin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 07:39
It's his nature, it's who he is. Sauron is an echo of Morgoth, yes. I think one of the very best things about the LOTR movies is how they zero in, dead accurate on the ONE THING that the ring does to people that ruins them.

What's that one thing?

The word "mine"..... What does Frodo say when he cracks on Orodruin? "The Ring is Mine".

That's what Sauron and Morgoth are all about. Mine, mine mine mine mine. ALL mine.

Morgoth wants **everything** for himself, though he can't possibly conceive of why, or what he would DO with "everything" when he got it, and the most wonderful things come first....the Silmarils.
tinuvielQ
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 07:51
I think Morgoth ahd many reasons for stealing the silmarils...I definitely agre that his hatred towards Fëanor was a reason, because we all know how much Fëanor lusted after them himself, even when they were his. Also, the fact that Morgoth is a fallen Ainur would give him reason to hate the Valar and all that they hold dear. That being said, he would want to steal something that was so important to them. He had always been selfish and doing whatever he wanted, even in the beginning by singing his own clashing melody. Morgoth simply did anything to he wanted to gain his own personal satisfaction, meaning it could have just been that he wanted the stones for his very own.
atalante_star
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 08:31
Morgoth wants **everything** for himself, though he can't possibly conceive of why, or what he would DO with "everything" when he got it, and the most wonderful things come first....the Silmarils.

This is interesting, because that's what it seems like. But how does one reconcile Morgoth's want of the Silmarils with his nature as a nihilist - someone who wanted to destroy *everything*
Eressëa
Melkor's Apprentice
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 12:18
I think that Morgoth's want of the Silmarils is just another way of showing his nihilism (yey, learned a new word, now will practise to use it in the right context:blush. He started out by wrecking to pieces all that the other Valars had done. But since Varda hallowed them, he wouldn't be able to destroy them physically. Perhaps then Morgoth thought to himself in his darkness, that perhaps an even more thoroughly way to destroy the Silmarilis would be take him for himselves. They would be lost to the world, and this almost coinciding with the destroying of Telperion and Laurelin, the things most dear and beloved to the Valar and the Race of Elves were lost. The Valar were struck dumb after this, and Morgoth is free to do his will!!!! Furthermore, I would say to make the Valar feel at such a loss, would feel like a greater victory to him than anything else. I don't think he thought they'd be able to rise again, owing to the fact that he always thought himself their superior and since he rejected his creative abilities, when he started only copying mockeries of the others work, I think he lost his ability to see the alternatives they had to create other things to bring light to the world (the sun, the moon)....
More on this subject later, my thoughts just have to come to further agreement:blush:
Tcherepin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 01:37
Good question. I guess the way to approach this is to think about what Morgoth really IS, in terms of the wider context of the story. I mean, it's easy to get caught up in whether he was ainur or maia and all those terms, but at the core of it what IS Melkor/Morgoth? I mean, cut to the chase, here...

He's the anti-Illuvatar. What he wants more than anything else is to be able to do what Illuvatar can do, which is to create life. Tolkien wrote that Melkor struggled to find the Secret Fire, but failed because it is with Illuvatar....in fact, basically it IS Illuvatar. What's interesting to me is that JRR Tolkien wrote it up so that Melkor was created by Illuvatar (of course), but Illuvatar does not CONTOL his creations, he gives them free will. Melkor can't create, but he can warp and change and manipulate, which is how orcs came into being......Morgoth doing a bit of bioengineering on some captured elves or men. Morgoth then CONTROLS his pseduo-creations. You have no free will when you join up with Morgoth. He calls ALL the shots.

The theme of good = allowing free will and bad= controlling is carried out over and over. How about Harry Potter, is that theme in there as well? You bet!. Is Harry, or ANY of the students actually controlled by Professor Dumbledore? No. However, are the baddies CONTROLLED by Lord what's-his-face? (I can't believe I'm forgetting his name). See what I mean?

Sauron, Morgoth's lieutenant, controls orcs and trolls and the Nazgul as well. Contrast that with Gandalf, who serves Illuvatar. Gandalf leads, he inspires, he enlightens but he does not CONTROL. Big difference. Anyway, I'm rambling.

I don't actually think that Melkor/Morgoth or Sauron necessarily want to destroy. In fact, the reverse is true, what they want more than anything else is to create, but since they can't, they take out their fundamental frustration by destroying OTHER creations, or twisting them so that they appear to be "creation", but in fact aren't. It's not that they can't create anything at all, I mean Sauron created the ring but they can't create LIFE.....or beauty, or all the other good things which they know as well as anyone else does, is what has true value. in their heart of hearts Sauron and Morgoth know they're failures.....which makes them that much nastier.

JRR Tolkien expresses a fundamental lesson in humanity with Morgoth, which is echoe'd through human cultures for millenia. Even Linda Ronstadt (The Britney Spears of my generation *LOL*) nailed the EXACT same lesson on the head in her song "Love is a Rose" in 1977.

Love is a rose, and you'd better not pick it
only grows when it's on the vine.
Handful of thorns and you know you've missed it
Lose your Love when you say the word "Mine".

Melkor's existance is a handful of thorns, because his existance is the essence of screaming the word "MINE" at the top of your lungs, and then pitching a hissy fit and making everyones life miserable around you when no matter how loud you scream, you STILL don't get what you want. What do people like that do? They break windows, they throw dishes, they stomp out of the room, they start fights, they create Orcs and dragons and try to ruin all the peoples of Beleriand or Middle Earth and spit in the face of the Valar......

....but in their heart of hearts, what they WANT is to be able to create beauty.

This is interesting, because that's what it seems like. But how does one reconcile Morgoth's want of the Silmarils with his nature as a nihilist - someone who wanted to destroy *everything*
Tcherepin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 02:01
BTW, the movies nailed one other thing absolutely dead-on, and I understood something about the stories that I'd never picked up on before after watching teh scene where Eowyn does in the Witch King.

Remember, "no man can kill me" says the witch king. He doesn't say "I am too powerful for you" or "I am the King" or "Tremble before th epower of my ring"...no he defies death. He cuts to the chase, tries to prey upon what he believes, and what Sauron has taught him is the core of fear in all human beings....the fear of death. He is SO wrong. Of course, it took him a a couple of thousand years to find the woman who PROVED him wrong, but *hey* *LOL*

What did Sauron offer with the nine rings, what did he offer to the men-who-became-Nazgul, to 'hook" them in the first place....power, sure, but power to do what?

Power to control LIFE.....the power to never die. But wait, can Sauron GIVE life, or just twist it? Can he try to CONTROL it?

well, we know that Sauron can't give life, right? He can't do it, he doesn't have the Secret Fire, and so what does the power of Sauron, expressed through his control of the nine rings do? It takes the life that the men-who-became-Nazgul already had, and stretches it out. Sauron can't make life, but he sure as all get-out can try to CONTROL it.

Remember how Bilbo said a little before he gave up the ring that he was feeling a little 'stretched thin"? Remember how Bilbo, though he was an old, old man, looked like a hobbit....oh, about MY age!! *LOL* He gives up the ring and in the very next scene he looks like an old, old man. His life was being *stretched* through the power of the ring. He wasn't getting MORE life, because Saurons power can't do that. The life had had was just getting Stretched.

The Nazgul have been "stretched" through Saurons power for a couple of thousand years. Can you imagine how fundamentally miserable and tired and exhausted and ruined they must be?

Sauron capitalized on the men-who-became-Nazgul's fear of death and offered them a trick bargain....."you will never die", which is NOT NOT the same thing as "you will have new life, forever" in exchange for just putting on this ring, oh and I'll throw in a whole lot of power to control other men, I'm good at using power to CONTROL things, and you will be, too.....

"give me control, and you will never die"..................of course, you'll become a miserable wraith with no hope and no joy left in the tenuous thread of your miserable existance, but you won't "die". Sauron can't give life, he can only twist it. The Nazgul are the most horrific example of what screaming

MINE!!!!!!!!!!!! when you can't have what you want, and you can't do what you dream of, can really do.
atalante_star
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 02:05
I don't actually think that Melkor/Morgoth or Sauron necessarily want to destroy. In fact, the reverse is true, what they want more than anything else is to create, but since they can't, they take out their fundamental frustration by destroying OTHER creations, or twisting them so that they appear to be "creation", but in fact aren't.

There's an essay in Morgoth's Ring called Myths Transformed, and I think that it sheds a great deal of light on Morgoth's motives.

"Thus, as Morgoth, when Melkor was confronted by the existence of other inhabitants of Arda, with other wills and intelligences, he was enraged by the mere fact of their existence, and his only notion of dealing with them was by physical force, or the fear of it. His sole ultimate object was their destruction.
He was aware, at any rate originally when still capable of rational thought, that he could not 'annihilate' them: that is, destroy their being; but their physical 'life', and incarnate form became increasindly to his mind the only thing that was worth considering. Or he became so far advanced in Lying that he lied even to himself, and pretended that he could destroy them and rid Arda of them altogether.
This was sheer nihilism, and negation its one ultimate object: Morgoth would no doubt, if he had been victorious, have ultimately destroyed even his own 'creatures', such as the Orcs, when they had served his sole purpose in using them: the destruction of Elves and Men. Melkor's final impotence and despair lay in this: ... Melkor could do nothing with Arda, which was not from his mind and was interwoven with the work and thoughts of others: even left alone he could only have gone raging on till all was levelled again into a formless chaos. And yet even so he would have been defeated, because it would still have 'existed', independent of his own mind, and a world in potential."

OK. I hope people stuck with me through that.

As others have said, Melkor wanted to create - and to give those things he created the spark of life and have them call him Lord. That was the essence of Melkor. But he couldn't do that - the Flame Imperishable was Ilúvatar's alone. So Morgoth set about destroying Ilúvatar's world, wanting to reduce it to nothingness so he could rebuild it as he wanted it - as its Lord and Master. Um. Not sure where I'm going with this. I tend to wander off in digressions when talking about Morgoth. Oh yes - the Silmarils.

It's fairly obvious from that quote above that eventually Morgoth would have destroyed the Silmarils. That if his plans had come to fruition, the Silmarils would only have been a temporary acquisition. From this, therefore, I would maybe say that his main reason for wanted the Silmarils was to steal something infinitely precious from the Valar.

But then there's that word "covet". Morgoth coveted the Silmarils (don't ask for a reference, but I know it's in there somewhere!). You don't covet something you don't believe you love / admire. So I think there was an element of Morgoth wanting the beauty of the Silmarils.

And something else I've just thought of, while reading through that quote. ... Morgoth wanted to rid the world of Ilúvatar's children. The Silmarils were something created by Ilúvatar's children. But the Silmarils were not alive. Didn't represent such a threat to Morgoth. Again, I'm not entirely sure where I'm going with this .. I'll try and think it through more ....
daffadowndilly
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 03:00
I think I read somewhere that if Morgoth couldn't claim something as his own, he would try to destroy it. Eg... as soon as Arda was created he went there and declared himself its lord. When he couldn't defeat the Valar he...uh... did something to Arda (can't remember:blush.

Anyways, he was sort of doing both at once. He claimed the Silmarils and totally destroyed the light of the Two Trees as far as the Valar were concerned. What good would the Silmarils do them if they were stuck in Morgoths crown?

Also, I think the Silmarils had some sort of power to make people want them, not only because of their light or beauty or anything. (light and beauty enhances it greatly, of course.)
Tcherepin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 04:06
Great Quote you found, atalante_star...right here..

****"Melkor's final impotence and despair lay in this: ... Melkor could do nothing with Arda, which was not from his mind and was interwoven with the work and thoughts of others: even left alone he could only have gone raging on till all was levelled again into a formless chaos. And yet even so he would have been defeated, because it would still have 'existed', independent of his own mind, and a world in potential.""****

Right on the money. RIGHT ON.

Melkor made a choice in the beginning. He chose to sing his own song in opposition to Illuvatar.

How utterly futile. He can't create Arda, he can't create another, his own Arda. If you remember back to the first book in the Silmarillion, the Valar CHOSE to enter Arda, and not all of Illuvatars spirits made that choice. Illuvatar did not force the Valar to enter Arda...Illuvatar does not CONTOL, because Illuvatar does not do that. He allows choice.

The Valar saw that Arda was beautiful and chose to enter it. Melkor saw that Arda was beautiful and CHOSE TO ENTER IT. Melkor is pretty darned stupid, but he's not blind. He values beautiful, living things. He's stupid in that he chooses to entrap himself in the very thing that will torment him and demonstrate to him that he's a failure; he can't create his own Arda, he can't create life, he can't create beauty. I can't think of a better way to drive someone insane than to surround themselves to all eternity with a constant reminder that basically they are a pathetic failure in their own eyes.

And so what does Morgoth/Melkor DO? Strike out at the creation he entraps himself within. The orcs aren't even his!!!!! They're creations of Illuvatar that he has warped, and so atalante_star the quote you found is right on....in the end, Melkor/Morgoth would have destroyed the Orcs as well.

The Silmarils, the Trees, they're all things of living beauty. Melkor/Morgoth knows that. He wants them. MINE!!! He wants to make things like them, but can't, so he screams MINE!!! all that much louder, and then goes bent on destruction out of eternal frustration.

He wants things of living beauty because he recognizes that they are the things that count, they are the things that have ultimate value.......... and he hates things of beauty because they remind him that he can't make them himself.

Melkor/Morgoth is a tortured spirit, and Sauron is exactly the same, only "smaller".
Eressëa
Melkor's Apprentice
Send Message
on: February 20, 2004 02:36
I think I read somewhere that if Morgoth couldn't claim something as his own, he would try to destroy it

Yes Daffodownlilly I remember having read that too.... And that is exactly what he is doing with the Silmarilis, for these were indeed things he WERE able to claim his, and therefore there would be no need to destroy them. They had no life, they would not disobey him in any way.
Why he went for the Silmarilis and not something else? If one is as powerful as Morgoth, and with the same lusts and hatred, would we then not go for the greatest treasure there was -that'd be the Silmarilis then. What makes them even more valuable is that they are treasured by both Elves and Valars, and he had become so twisted in his mind that he wished to see their unhappiness!!!!!

Yes, for starters perhaps what Melkor wanted was love and beauty -to be able to create new things of life. But while setting in his great and dark fortress of Angband, he was corrupted, and his mind was twisted. Love and Hate don't lie far from each other, and when one is living a life in solitude, sorrounded only by fell thoughts and endless brooding on evil thoughts, you will loose your ability to reason -good will seem bad, beauty will seem ugly. Melkor looses his capability of reasoning, he looses his wisdom and what before was great turned to cruelty -I doubt a creature such as Melkor would think of green grasses and beauty, when he planned his world domination, or if he hadn't got so entangled in his own webs, that he was blinded to good....

Uhh, think all I have written are just bits of rambling, hope you can make something out of it, since I completely lost my point somewhere:blush:
atalante_star
Send Message
on: February 20, 2004 05:37
I'm not sure that Morgoth ever really wanted beauty and love and fluffiness. He wanted *power* and *control* and *worship* - right from the start.

From the Music of the Ainur:
"it came into the heart of Melkor to interweave matters of his own imagining that were not in accord with the theme of Ilúvatar; for he sought therein to increased the power and glory of the part assigned to himself ... He had gone often alone into the void places seeking the Imperishable Flame; for desire grew hot within him to bring into Being things of his own.
Melkor was filled with shame, of which came secret anger."

Then when the Ainur first saw Arda:
And he feigned, even to himself at first, that he desired to go thither and order all things for the good of the Children of Ilúvatar, controlling the turmoils of the heat and the cold that had come to pass through him [in his creations in the Music]. But he desired rather to subdue to his will both Elves and Men, envying the gifts with which Ilúvatar promised to endow them; and he wished himself to have subjects and servants, and to be called Lord, and to be a master over other wills.

So we have jealousy, envy, a lust for power, anger, shame, a desire to be in charge and in control - and that's even before Melkor set foot in Arda. I don't call that starting off wanting beauty

And a quote just to show the utter futility of Morgoth's endeavours:
And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined.
And thou, Melkor, wilt discover all the secret thoughts of thy mind, and wilt perceive that they are but a part of the whole and tributary to its glory.
Eressëa
Melkor's Apprentice
Send Message
on: February 20, 2004 08:25
I had forgot that it was put like that:blush: Somehow I just liked the idea of him having had some good in him once -which he probably also had at the very first That be when Iluvatar first created him.
But I also think that most of this envy, lust for power etc come from the fact that he wanted to supercede Iluvatar, mightier than Iluvatar in any way imaginable... Perhaps a "person" of such ambition and lust for power, is not able to cope with the fact that he'll never reach the heights he's wished for. No matter how much he tries, he will never be unable to create something of life by his own will. Mockeries of the creations of Iluvatar. Mockeries of whom to, why Morgoth himself. He is faced by his failure everytime he lays eyes on them, for they are naught be the twisted remnants of the greatness Iluvatar made....
Taking the Silmarilis is, as I've pointed out before, also a way of destroying something -or making a mockery of it. Perhaps there is no physical ruin or change to be seen on the Silmarilis, but they lost some of their glamour, and he hit the Valars where they were most vulnerable.
But then, it is also stated many places in the Silmarillion that Melkor hated the Firstborn more than the latter, all of the reasons for this I do not remember to detail, but I'll try look it up later. And it is furthermor mentioned that above all of the Elder he hates Feanor (again the reasons are not fully remembered -looks like someone needs to read up on their Sil:blush: ). But owing to that fact, Morgoth perhaps was even more eager to bring his enemy to his downfall, and that he did in every possible way....
A thought on the matter popped into my head just know -even though Morgoth is a coward, perhaps some sick and twisted desire of his, is to cross blades with his enemy, as to be acknowledged in his greatness.... I'm not saying he was uncertain or something, but to crush little ants might just raise the spirit of a twisted creature a bit higher.....

[Edited on 20/2/2004 by Eressëa]
atalante_star
Send Message
on: February 20, 2004 10:35
Somehow I just liked the idea of him having had some good in him once -which he probably also had at the very first That be when Iluvatar first created him.

That's only natural - people always look for the good in everyone. I tend to think, though, that Morgoth was never *good*. I think to start with he was just full of his own importance, full of dreams, and full of resentment that he couldn't fulfil his dreams. And as time went on, he got bitterer and bitterer, more and more frustrated, and more and more scared that he might be destroyed. Its no real wonder that he ended up pretty much insane. To see the world in front of you everyday, to show you that you had failed, and that everything you wanted hadn't come true ...

I'm sure that you're right Eressëa, and that in some twisted way, he wanted to be acknowledged as great once again by the Valar (though he probably wouldn't ever have admitted that )

And it is furthermor mentioned that above all of the Elder he hates Feanor

For lots of reasons ...

- he defied Morgoth (and even slammed a door in his face ) Go Fëanor!!!
- he created the Silmarils
- he stood up to the Valar, and defied them
- he was brilliant, and bright, a fire spirit that Morgoth couldn't corrupt directly. Morgoth had to get round him by tricks and wiles, and I guess Morgoth really liked people acceding to his will immediately

and probably lots of other reasons that I can't think of at the moment
Eressëa
Melkor's Apprentice
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 03:41
It is actually quite ironic, that the two most powerful/skilful Iluvatar created (that is from the race of Ainur and Elves), both fell into disgrace.
It is said of Melkor
To Melkor among the Ainur had been given the greatest gifts of power and knowledge, and he had a share in all the gifts of his brethren

And of Feanor is told
Fëanor was the mightiest in skill of word and hand, more learned than his brothers

and
He was tall, and fair of face, and masterful, his eyes piercingly bright and his hair raven-dark; in the pursuit of all his purposes eager and steadfast. Few ever changed his course by council, none by force. He became of all the Noldor, then or after, the most subtle in mind and the most skilled in hand.

This is but a small picture of their greatness. Rereading these bits made me think a somewhat controversial thought (or at least it might be) -the spirits of Melkor and Fëanor were in many ways equal, of course they had differnt peronalities, I would never say Fëanor was evil, but thay're both skillful and intelligent etc.
Might this have been some deliberate link that Tolkien made between them?
atalante_star
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 04:50
Rereading these bits made me think a somewhat controversial thought (or at least it might be) -the spirits of Melkor and Fëanor were in many ways equal, of course they had differnt peronalities, I would never say Fëanor was evil, but thay're both skillful and intelligent etc.
Might this have been some deliberate link that Tolkien made between them?

I think you're right, at least in a way. They were both originally the brightest and most brilliant of their kind. They both "fell". They both, at least partly, went insane. Their influence lasted pretty much forever.

Obviously, there are a huge amount of differences too ... but I think there's enough to say there is a parallel, at least in spirit ....
Tcherepin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 08:42
Last night I was rooting around on Amazon.com....see, you all have inspired me to look a little bit further into all this, so I've ordered the book of Tolkien's Letters........ANY-way, I came across the books called the History of Middle Earth. I didn't even know they existed, though I'm sure thatyou all do!

Apparently one of the books is named Morgoth's Ring. In the description of the book on Amazon.com was this, which I'll cut and paste here...

"Above all," Christopher Tolkien writes in his foreward, "the power and significance of Melkor-Morgoth...was enlarged to become the ground and source of the corruption of Arda." This book indeed is all about Morgoth. Incomparably greater than the power of Sauron, concentrated in the One Ring, Morgoth's power (Tolkien wrote) was dispersed into the very matter of Arda: "The whole of Middle-earth was Morgoth's Ring."

That's pretty consistant with how the Valar exist, I mean the power of Ulmo runs through all the waters of the earth, it's perfectly consistant to see that the power of Morgoth runs through the fabric of everything, as does the power of Manwe. But you know, that's not how it started out.

Therein lies a difficult and wonderful thing. Beleriand, the Valar, the elves, Middle Earth and all of it are not fixed things. They evolved over time in the mind of JRR Tolkien. So "who was Morgoth?" is a question that can be answered in one way if you read Tolkien's earliest writings, and would be answered another way if you read the things he wrote during the middle of his life, and differently again if you read what he was working on just before he died.

I think that's fascinating, actually. There's nothing like a good ambiguity to keep peope interested! *LOL*
atalante_star
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 08:54
Apparently one of the books is named Morgoth's Ring. In the description of the book on Amazon.com was this, which I'll cut and paste here...

Um .. yes ... thats the book I've been quoting from left right and centre on this thread
"Morgoth's power (Tolkien wrote) was dispersed into the very matter of Arda: "The whole of Middle-earth was Morgoth's Ring."

OK. This is a bit complicated. You've managed to hit on one of the more complicated things in Tolkien's world It's an argument essentially about what is known as the "Morgoth Element" - the idea that Morgoth managed to dissipate some of himself throughout Arda, and it was that stain in the material of all things (the Morgoth Element) that allowed Sauron to create the Ring.

I'll try and write an article on the Morgoth Element over the weekend. I've been meaning to do it for ages ....
Eressëa
Melkor's Apprentice
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 12:47
Might not the Morgoth Element be the strike of evil there is in every creature in Arda, or more -the possibility of becoming evil -to be corrupted.
Morgoth were the first to corrupt anyone, and he started out corrupted things when there was no Arda, when there was only Void, therefore his Elements of Evil where in the very creation of Arda -he planted the seeds even before he went to dwell in Arda.
I will think further about this matter to sort my thoughts on this matter out.
think there's enough to say there is a parallel, at least in spirit ....

Yup, that is exactly what I think -and that might also be what make them hate each other that much -like two magnets with the same energy
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: March 18, 2007 02:03
I've always felt that Morgoth's desire to eliminate the Children of Illuvatar was played out as sadistically as possible by slow;y corrupting their hearts so that they would destroy not only each other, but the world that had been made for them. Thus he could punish, and torture the Valar and spite Illuvatar, whom he knew he could not destroy.
TolkienLibrary
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2007 01:49
Morgoth did steal the silmarils for a particular reason and for the same reason did not destroy them... he must have been thinking how he would accomplish it and when his plan would be a succes.
He teamed up with Ungoliath to destroy the two trees and then immediatly also stole the silmarils, knowing all the doings of Fëanor and having corrupted his mind slowly. By doing this he did his greatest evil! He created the rebellion of the Noldor against Valinor. This led to the disastrous Oath of Fëanor, which all but annihilated the entire house of the Noldor in Middle-earth and changed the history of Middle-earth completely. Of course Morgoth did put the Silmarils on his crown... his plan was working, and as long as the Silmarils where safe, the terrible Oath would do the rest.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post Re: Morgoth and the Silmarils [keep ~ link]
on: June 17, 2012 01:51
*bump
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email