Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Aranel_Laivinelen
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Eternity Circle (scripted)
on: February 26, 2004 11:34
(((My character is in the character database: Auralowis Silvren, and there is an OOC for this thread in the OOC forum. Respond to the OOC thread if you want to join.)))

Jump. She felt the air around her, her eyes blindfolded. She needed not the sense of sight. She started her run, sending out a gust of air out towards her jump point.

She had no idea how deep or how wide the chasm was. When her air hit the opposite side, it ricocheted off the walls of the canyon, returning back to her in seemingly all random directions. But she knew how to interpret the returns. She smiled. The chasm was about 100ft deep and 50ft wide, with the opposite side about 50ft higher than the side of the chasm she was to jump from.

She jumped, sending a blast of wind down. The force of the blast thrust her up, and she immediately tucked air beneath her, throwing another blast behind her. She tucked her legs in under her, somersaulting in the air. She let herself enjoy the free air around her, then plummeted down to the ground, stretching her body out again. She dove, parting the air before her, then slowed, her hands hitting the ground first. She sprung off her hands and gracefully landed on her feet, her knees bending to absorb the shock.

She was on the other side of the chasm.

[Edited on 27/2/2004 by eldir]

[Edited on 27/2/2004 by Aranel_Laivinelen]
Electra
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Eternity Circle (scripted)
on: February 28, 2004 04:18
(Hi Aranel! Well here I am Hopefully this post is alright, but please let me know if I have made a mistake, I am liable to make minor mistakes Thank you very much for letting me join your AWESOME thread!)

A skinny little girl sat at the cream colored kitchen table. Her strawberry-blond curls bobbed up and down as she bounced in her chair to the music of a wooden insturment her neighbor played constently outside his home. The room was painted yellow resembling a field of buttercups making the kitchen bright and cheerful. A slender red-haired mother stood contently humming to herself, washing dishes as her father sat reading the daily paper and sipping his coffee as usual, his blond hair neatly combed for work. The little girl’s glittering teal eyes watched as the toast on her plate levitated into the air, making a few twirls and landing in her fathers glass. The two parents stared awe struck at their small giggling daughter knowing from then on their days would never be normal again.

Hopping to keep their own powers hushed the two loving parents Candice and Romney told nothing to their daughter, and never spoke of the toast incident again. Although nothing stopped the course of life, nor the little girl from turning into a young lady. At the age 11 the quiet family befell another accident. Their extremely rude aunt came to visit them for dinner one brisk evening. She loved money more then anything, and felt anyone who hadn’t enough money was worthless. Expressing these aspects harshly upon her lower-class, working father and mother angered the young girl as they sat down on the couch before delving into the delicious cake for desert. The cake floated out on its own accord plopping right atop auntie’s head. Out of fright their aunt left and never returned. The young 11 year old had no idea what she had done, nor why the incident occurred. Yet knowledge, experience, and ideas came quickly to the fast thinking young girl throughout her next six years with the help of her parents. One of the gifted was finally born.

~~~~~
Fae plopped into a cushiony grey chair in the library of ‘The Elemental Circle Temple’. Bright teal eyes read line after line rapidly, as long ebony lashes flicked from page to page. A strand of her warm dark honey-golden hair fell into her face. Long delicate fingers tucked the strand behind her ear pierced with an emerald stud mirroring the other, as she read intently on. From the time she had played a fairy in a town play; her pixie cropped hair had grown, rippling just past her shoulders. Picked for the part only because she was said to have a beautiful singing voice and Fae was so light it almost seems as if she were flying, which was in fact quite true.

Setting down the book titled ‘Fire Elements,’ Fae picked up her black bag fishing in the side pocket for her note pad. Finding the small blue hand made notebook amidst assorted pens aligned in their proper slots. A small smile formed at the tips of her crimson rose-bud lips as she scribbled down the ingreadience upon how to make fire posions, as well as learning how to create fire(which she could not do) yet her friend Lix, although a bit odd at times, was a very nice person, and always enjoyed joining Fae in annoying the crabby librarian.

Reading fixedly another noise averted her attention from the Elemental Fire book. The true reason Fae found interest in the fire element, (including all others as well), was because her mother was of the fire elements. Most said Fae possessed the wrong elements, for her stubborn personality took after Candice's, her mother. Yet Fae was a creature of the Air taking after her father in grace and eloquence. Setting down the book, and quickly retireing her notbook to the depths of her beg, Fae turned about expecting to see the sour faced librarian scolding her once again for absolutly nothing, but instead found another.

(There you are Aranel I hope the post is free of technical substence!! Sorry I did not even notice I put Christmas in there or the coffe mug, hehe well I suppose I was tired and wanting of a vacation! Take care!)

[Edited on 5/3/2004 by Electra]
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2004 06:31
Arden grinned crookedly as Fae spun around. His pale blonde hair fell into his eyes; eyes that held a mischievious glint to them.

"So that's where the book went." he said in hushed drawl, pulling over a chair from a nearby study desk that the library was littered with and straddling it. "Studying up on our elements, eh, Fae?" He rested his chin on his red clad arms.

Peren watched Auralowis practice her skills. He sat on the nearby ground, his dark green eyes studying her. A squirrel perched on his shoulder and a crow with one blind eye was on the other. A fox with a wounded leg was in his lap and a few rabbits at hsi feet.

Peren had the elemental powers of Earth. When he was six, he had accidently found that he had a strong connection with plants and after that with animals. He had struggled to keep it a secret, afraid of what his parents would think, but such things could not be hidden forever. And so, at ten years old, he had been sent here.

Peren's slender hand went to his pocket, where a recent letter from his mother told him of his younger brother's doing at school. The fox nudged his stomach.

"Yes, I do miss them." he asnwered, then looked up as Auralowis walked towards him. Peren stood carefully and smiled at her. "You get better everyday. The masters will be proud Aura."

(OOC: Okay, Peren's hair is just above shoulder length and his eyes are green now. ^__^ I won't be on tomorrow becuase I have to work; sorry for the shortness of this post, but it is late and I must be getting to bed. Please don't get too far ahead of me!)

[Edited on 29/2/2004 by CarolP]
Gil-galad_of_Lindon
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 29, 2004 10:00
Lix was sitting in the meditation room trying to meditate. But it didn’t seem to be working. Someone had told her to try it, that it might even her temper, but it just took too long. She had been sitting there for half an hour already, and didn’t feel any different. Except perhaps for the growing anger caused by the fact that meditation was so annoying! Finally, she couldn’t take it anymore. She opened her eyes and swept her hand across the candles, gathering the flames in her hand. She held the heat and light in her hand for a moment, then suddenly opened it to let out a pillar of fire that flew up to the ceiling and enveloped the walls. Simultaneously she blew out the fire in everyone else’s candles, and made numerous puddles of wax on the floor. Then, just as suddenly as it had started, the fire in the room stopped. Someone with water gifts had put it all out. Lix stalked out of the room and threw her meditation robe on the floor in a heap of flames. There, in the temple, she couldn’t explode anything without the risk of getting in trouble, but at the lake there were plenty of things that no one would miss. She walked through the woods and set the trees on either side of alight, careful to control it so as not to set the entire forest on fire. It was like a burning hall, leading straight to where she was. When she finally reached the lake she sat down heavily and drew her knees close to her with a frown. In the water she saw her reflection; a young woman with pale skin and fiery red hair blowing freely in the breeze. Her dark blue eyes were never calm, always lit with some emotion taken to extremes. She disrupted the mirror image with an explosion in the earth below it. She continued this, picking random rocks and dirt around her to send flying through the air in tiny pieces.
((Hope that’s what you envisioned her as, Aranel.))

[Edited on 29/2/2004 by Gil-galad_of_Lindon]
lyrav9
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2004 06:52
Meiri was silently kneeling with her eyes closed and was deep in meditation. Her hands were outspread over the object in front of her. She was practicing her healing skills and trying to heal the sickened cat that someone had deposited on her doorstep. With her hands she located the trouble spots, deep within the poor cat's body, and began to patiently pull the threads of dark air loose.

The art of healing was a complicated one and required immense patience and serenity under pressure. By meditating and focusing her mind on what she was healing, Meiri could feel the pains of her patient and in turn know the exact location of the cause. To her, she sensed light and dark threads, in varying strengths and thicknesses, holding the body together. It was a tricky business identifying which threads should be pulled loose. An accumulation of dark threads was a sign of injury, but not all dark threads were harmful, nor were all light threads beneficial. Meiri had come to understand, over her years of training, that the body worked through balance and the body needed both light and dark to function properly.

The injury to the cat was not a fatal one, looking something like a stomach ache - the cat must have eaten something bad. It was an easy one to heal. With one hand, she began to unwind the long dark thread that was holding the entire mass together. With the other hand, she absentmindedly plucked out the dark and light threads sticking out of the mass.

Meiri knew what she was doing, so she cast her thoughts out to see where everyone was. Almost immediately all the candles in her room blew out, and a surge of heat appeared in another room. She must have sensed Lix's mood and was getting herself ready to deal with whatever problem would occur. So with a fond smile for Lix, and a wave of her hand, she doused the fire and pulled the heat back into the moisture in the air.

She was almost finished with her work, when she sensed someone approaching. There was just one more thread to pull out and she would be done. Searching deep within the body, she saw the straggler - a thin, almost invisible light thread embedded within an intricate twining of dark and light. With a happy sigh she pulled it out. The cat stirred, but Meiri put a hand on the cat's head and it settled down into a deep sleep.

Pushing her long black braid back over her shoulder, Meiri leaned back to rest and to wait for her door to open.

Rowan was standing under her namesake, a rowan tree, observing Aura going through her training. She watched as Aura cleared the chasm with ease and grace.

Rowan loved being in the temple. Her friends were so wonderful to her and she was just happy being able to help out in any way possible. For once in her life she felt useful and needed. Her mother was horror struck when one day, out of nowhere, Rowan had made her dinner bowl fly towards her. After that incident, things like that kept happening all the time. So one day her mother bundled her off to the temple and left her there. She'd cried bitterly over this separation, but the kindness of the people at the temple, and her growing confidence and pride in her acheivements helped banish any lingering thoughts of sadness. Deep in her heart she would always mourn not having a mother, but overall she was extremely content.

Aura and Peren chatted for awhile before they spotted her watching them. "Rowan! What are you doing hiding over there?" Aura chided, with a huge grin.

Rowan waved cheerfully as she headed over towards them, but was feeling a little sheepish. She couldn't help herself. She was just more comfortable hanging in the background.

(I hope this works for you Aranel! Let me know if I should edit anything)

[Edited on 1/3/2004 by ithillinde]
Aranel_Laivinelen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 06:30
(((Sorry, Electra, I should have made it more clear...um, there are no forms of modern technology...would you edit the CD player, the mention of Christmas, the radio, coffee mug, etc.?

Think of this world as a totally different world from ours, and it is much more ancient, more reverent of nature, and more dependence on gods (and much more communication with them), similar to ancient Rome, Troy, or the middle ages.

The rest of it is great, and I like everything you guys have come up with so far. Just keep playing around with the personalities so that you feel comfortable playing your character. I hope you guys enjoy it! I know I am.)))

"You get better everyday. The masters will be proud, Aura." Aura took off her blindfold, tied it around her wrist, and saw Peren and his animal companions watching her. She smiled and carefully lifted the fox from Peren's arms with both her hands and hugged it to her chest, careful not to disturb its injured leg.

"I only hope that I would be able to become an Adept soon..." Aura spoke softly, stroking the fox. Her friends, including herself, were all Initiates, the intermediate rank. The highest rank an Elemental Mage could achieve was an Adept, which signified graduation of their studies, and the recognition as a full-fledged mage in the outside world. Then she noticed Rowan standing under one of her favorite trees watching them.

"Rowan! What are you doing hiding over there?" Aura chided, with a huge grin.

She walked over, and they started to head back to the Temple, for a new day had started.
Gil-galad_of_Lindon
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 10:28
Finally, Lix could find no more rocks to destroy, and she deemed it not worth the effort to find each small remnant. Her previous boil had calmed to a simmer, but if agitated it was ready to flare up again. So she stood and let out the fire from the trees, leaving little but a trail of ashes. She followed the trail back to the building with her eyes on the ground and hands in her pocket. She picked up an apple in the cafeteria, planning to eat it but ended up tossing it into the air as she wandered the hallways. She could think of nothing to do. No, that wasn't true. There were many things she should have been doing, but she just didn't feel like it; she feared running into someone who would set her off again. Much to others' surprise, Lix disliked her temper as much as others did.
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 11:34
Torin had stood, watching with his piercing gray eyes as Aura cleared the chasm. She had improved much. Before she could notice him though he turned and went back into the Temple. He walked silently in search of his brother. He was surprised he hadn't been watching Aura as well.

As he continue down the hall he caught sight of the fiery Lix. He turned back around not wanting to deal with her anger that could be easily set off at the moment.

As he went back the way he had come he saw Aura with her friend Rowan walk in. He nodded to Aura when she caught sight of him.
Tanyela*Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 04:03
Kelon sat in one of the meditation rooms his hands resting on his knees and his eyes closed. The flames in the candles flickered softly every now and then causing shadows to dance along the walls. His thoughts were filled with the rushing winds, the feel of flying, and the great moments he spent with his friends. Kelon loved to start his day off in a calm peaceful mood.

Slowly he stood up and walked around the room blowing out each candle, one by one. When he was down he went outside, and headed towards the school. Almost immediatly he heard voices he recognized. He walked over, brushing his short black hair out of his gently gray eyes.
"Hello Aura. Rowan." He nodded to each of them and then waved at his younger brother, Torin.
"Come on over." Turning back to Aura he smiled. "So where are you to headed?"
Aranel_Laivinelen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2004 03:25
"To class." Aura smiled as she replied, then wondered where Peren had gone off to. They had separated at the Circlet, for she and Rowan had taken the Air entrance, and Peren went off to the Earth entrance. She took off her cloak and brushed fox hair off of it, then hung it over her arm. "But I think I'll head over to the springs first, and then to Tere Kalandra's Air Manipulation class."

She looked up as Lix joined them. She could tell that many distanced her because of her fiery personality, but that did not stop her from befriending her. As Lix threw the apple in her hand into the air, Aura brought the apple to her, and took a bite. She smiled at her, saying, "I hope you don't mind, but I was hungry." She wasn't really, but she winked at Lix. Everyone else instantly ducked as they expected flames to shoot out. But none did.

Lix laughed as she saw everyone's reaction, and winked back. Aura was probably the only one that didn't set her off easily. Perhaps that was because she was about the only one that didn't purposely avoid her because of her unpredictable mood swings. Well, her and Meiri.

Aura looked about her, wondering where Meiri was. She felt her healing a while ago, while she was heading back to the Temple from the Linden Forest where she went off to train at the crack of dawn. She loved the morning...and training with the Eastern wind and the rising sun at her back was an experience like none other.

"Which reminds me, shouldn't you all be heading to class?" Aura knew that except for Kelon, who had Watch duty this morning, Rowan, Torin, and Fae all had scheduled Air Manipulation with her, and Lix had scheduled Metalworking with Tor Rubin. She guessed where Peren and Meiri were, Peren on his way to his Herbology class with Tor Silvanus and Meiri to her Divination class with Tere Rana. Or maybe they were somewhere together...Aura smiled at the thought. The classes offered at the Temple were offered at all hours of the day, and the students were responsible for setting their own schedules daily, attending all their classes, and tending to all their chores. Only chores and watches were scheduled, and the rest were up to the students. They were instructed as much as was needed and no more. Their classes were structured this way, and so was graduation. This meant that anyone can graduate and become an Adept at any time, as long as they passed their final exams. And if a journey was assigned to them...they had to come out of it alive.

Aura felt a pang of guilt grip her heart, almost making it hard for her to breathe. She fought for her breath slowly, careful not to let anyone notice or to let a tear drop. She remembered her brother, and her hand immediately went to her necklace. He had one just like it. She dismissed the thought, letting her hand drop.

Her friends had worried looks on their faces.

"What is it, Aura? A premonition?" Rowan asked her, moving a hand to rest on Aura's shoulder.

"No. A memory." Aura replied, and fell silent.

[Edited on 5/3/2004 by Aranel_Laivinelen]
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2004 07:02
Peren entered his Herbology class and sat calmly near the back. Taking off his cloak, he settled the fox on it carefully; the crow and fox were the only animals that remained. Peren had found that most of the wild animals avoided the temple simply becuase they were cautious of the other humans.

The green eyed boy smiled to himself and took a seat.

Arden stood, tired of being ignored by Fae. He knew she was solitary, but she didn't have to be rude. He scowled a little to himself as he headed off to class. Hopefully, he'd catch up with Lix in Tor Rubin's class. It was a lot more fun with her around.

The blonde boy grinned and began to walk a little faster.
Gil-galad_of_Lindon
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2004 09:57
Lix couldn't help but find the group's general fear of her amusing, and laughed out loud as they ducked. Even as they broke up and she began walking to her class, she couldn't help a small smile. She loved how Aura could put her in a good mood. As she walked she fekt the air chill and pulled warmth around her like a blanket. She thought nothing of it though, probably a draft caused by an inexperienced Air. It soon passed and Lix continued on to Metalworking. It was one of her favorite classes, as evidenced by the interestingly shaped bracelets and hair clips she wore.
Electra
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2004 05:59
(Sorry Jaid_Skywalker I didn’t mean to ignore Arden!! Just busy with school making me a bit slow in responding!! I hope I am portraying Fae correctly Aranel_Laivinelen and I stand by what I said earlier this thread is wonderful!!!)

A small smile spread across Faerantil’s fair face as Arden ambled up beside her. Quickly whipping her smile away she continued to skim the pages as the toe-headed boy glanced over her shoulder as his curious pale hazel eyes glimpsed at the ‘Fire Element’ book she rapidly turned the pages.

"So that's where the book went." he said in hushed drawl, pulling over a chair from a nearby study desk that the library was littered with and straddling it. "Studying up on our elements, eh, Fae?" He rested his chin on his red clad arms.

A mischievous smile often portrayed climbed her lips again, as she did not respond only waiting for his long awaited temper raising at least a smidgen, for she knew Arden never seemed to anger easily. Getting board with her, her glittering teal eyes caught sight of his small scowl as he got up from his seat. As he started heading out the door, Fae slammed the book shut, making the librarian give Fae a reproachful eye, and ran to Arden’s side. Grinning at him she replied, “You may have your book back Arden, you might need it for your metalwork. Although I must say the fire element has some very interesting lessons.” The boisterous young girl whirled around to continue to her Air Manipulation class but turned back around again with a sensuous smile, “And sorry for ignoring you so long, I almost thought I might have to give in and speak before what little temper you have got the best of you.” Knowing he was a very hard person to become melancholy or irritated Fae had fun challenging him, but never intended on making anyone sad or angered. Kelon was her favorite to challenge in wit and words for he was the peacemaker of the group and it seemed they were a mach with words. Taking pleasure in reading about the elemental powers and anything else Fae also found and interest in thought, ideas, wit, and words. As she ran off towards the Air Manipulation class Fae called back, “Sorry for stealing your book, I shall try not to do it again!”

Slowing her pace, Fae’s teal eyes met with the intense dark blue eyes of Lix. Fae smiled seeing the fiery red-head laugh. “Hi Lix!” Fae called and ran up to her friend. Fae only knew two people who could calm Lix possibly better then herself, Aura and Meiri.

Remembering the first time she had met Lix, and everyone else for that matter. Fortunately, Fae met Lix in one of her boiling moods, which seemed to be spilling over the pot instead of being afraid as her usual response Fae stood up to Lix for she was not afraid at all, until Lix shot a stream of flam towards her. Her teal eyes had grew wide as she held up her hand, palm facing the approaching flames, because of her air powers Fae was amazed at her own powers as the flames had stopped in mid air, and blew into nothingness. From then on Lix and Fae had become friends, although Fae still kept everything close to the vest as she did with all her friends. Some of the teachers suspected her holding back amounted for her holding back in her powers as well, for when everyone executed a task Fae usually never finished her full attack.

Nodding to the others she greeted them as well, “Hello Aura, Rowan, Kelon, and Torin.” Noticing Aura's overjoyed expression drop to sadness Fae asked quietly, "Aura are you alright?"

"What is it, Aura? A premonition?" Rowan asked her, moving a hand to rest on Aura's shoulder.

"No. A memory." Aura replied, and fell silent.

Staying by her friends for a bit longer, watching casiously as Aura's face lifted from the distrought state happiness rejoyced inside Fae once again. Finishing, “Well I shall meet you four in Air Manipulation, have fun in metalwork Lix!” she called running off again hoping to be the first to the Air Manipulation class because the teacher had wanted to talk to her, once again. Fae had a feeling the professor wanted to discus “tuning her skills” again which meant reminding her to finish her attacks. “Because I have taken an interest in noticing your powerful attacks. It would only help you to finish them fully,” the voice rattled off in her mind as she continued quickly towards class.

[Edited on 6/3/2004 by Electra]
lyrav9
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2004 08:38
The anticipated knock sounded on the door and Meiri turned to find Tere Rana smiling from the door.

"Meiri, I think we were supposed to meet up for your Divination lesson about half an hour ago," she said, still smiling.

"Tere Rana, I apologize!" Meiri exclaimed. "I was so intent on my healing that I'd completely forgotten about it."

"I figured as much. But try not to forget in the future. I'm only letting this go because you have been doing very well in Divination. We will have to reschedule your lesson for another day because I've another student to teach in half an hour."

Meiri was slightly embarrassed, but felt that Tere Rana was not angry or upset. They rescheduled their Divination lesson for the following day.

At the moment, Meiri was at loose ends. Her friends were all currently having lessons. She ambled through the library, but having been given a repreive from her lesson, she was not in the mood for studying.

She was still a little tired from her healing, so she decided to go to the House of Meditation to rest. The House of Meditation was one of her favorite places in the temple. The calmness and serenity of the great hall called to her. Whether she was surrounded by others in the great hall or working by herself in a quiet room, she felt soothed and completely at ease. She had no worries when she was there.

Meiri learned early on how meditation helped hone her skills in Water. The first step to becoming a master Healer was to be able to sink into a meditative trance and focus your mind deep within yourself and deep within your patient. Meditation was also vital in Divination. But water manipulation required conscious thought, and therefore was a bit tougher for her to get a handle on.

Another reason why Meiri enjoyed meditation was that she was more aware of her surroundings and also could sense the auras of the people around her. And most strange of all, she felt the auras of her closest friends the strongest, and even when they weren't in the same room as her.

Right now she felt Peren's aura - calm and relaxed, with slight tremors of tension. Aura's spiked from a feeling of exhilaration to a drop of deep sadness, but was slowly working it's way back up to normal. As for the others, there was not much change, other than Lix's flickering red every now and then, but that was normal for her.

Sinking into her skin, Meiri closed her eyes and settled into the familiar groove of relaxed awareness.

Rowan looked sympathetically at Aura. She'd looked so scared and then so sad. Rowan guessed Aura was thinking about her family, and laid a comforting hand on her shoulder.

Fae rushed past them, calling over her shoulder, “Well I shall meet you four in Air Manipulation, have fun in metalwork Lix!”

They - she, Aura, Kelon, and Torin - took their time getting to class, and found Fae speaking to their instructor. They settled themselve into the comfortable chairs and waited for their lesson to begin.

For Rowan, Air Manipulation was not all that difficult. She was quick to grasp the concepts by mainly observing her friends and practicing on her own. Although she was proud of her accomplishments, she was extremely shy about showing them to others.

[Edited on 6/3/2004 by PotbellyHairyfoot]

[Edited on 3/7/2004 by lyrav9]
Aranel_Laivinelen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2004 12:44
(((Awesome, guys! And thanx for editing your post, Electra! I hate telling people to edit their posts...I feel like I'm limiting people's creative energy...so I hope I won't have to again! But for one last time...lyrav9, the use of Meiri's full name... I'm sorry I forgot to mention this before, but well, amongst mages, it is a powerful thing to speak a person's full name. A mage's full name is only entrusted to close friends, and only spoken under necessary circumstances. If you wish the person harm, you can gain full control of their body, and bind them fast in the spell you are working against them. You can even kill them by bidding their spirits into Death if you are strong. If you are healing, you can bring the person back from the dead, if the person is not far gone into Death and if you are an extremely gifted healer. You must also gain the mage's god/goddess' permission to bring that mage back into life. You can also locate the person's whereabouts (through scrying with a crystal and speaking their name), send them a thought-message even when you are not telepathic (through the speaking/whispering/mouthing their full name and touching an item that belonged to them), etc. For powerful things, like killing the person or bringing them back from life, you need to fully speak the name in a clear tone, but for lesser workings such as scrying, you only need to whisper or even just form your mouth around the word. Wow, that was extensive...but that was why I gave everyone a nickname. Sorry for the delay in explanation...and this really long OOC that should really be in the OOC forum...)))

After taking a short bath at the healing springs, Aura felt refreshed although she awoke at sunrise to go train outside the Temple grounds. She met her friends in Tere Kalandra's well-aired classroom, in a fresh silk long-sleeved shirt that was gathered at her cuffs with silver buttons and one of her many pairs of her usual black trousers. The shirt had been a gift from Lix on her sixteenth birthday. A fine one, for her friend was talented at crafting, and everything she made was a work of art. She had made the trousers herself, designing for comfort rather than looks. Her boots testified her commitment to comfort, for they were rather worn and soft, the leather broken in by much use. After checking her belt to see that she had brought her hair tie, she settled down on the floor atop a comfortable cushion, setting a small shoulderbag down next to her and taking out a leather-bound book with one hand while the other fished out her hair tie. She was glad that she had had time enough to dry her hair after her bath, for she disliked smudging her writing. She had air-dried her hair, summoning a cool breeze and letting it run over her hair. She now gathered it up into a single ponytail, letting it stay out of the way. A few stray hairs escaped the bind, but it couldn't be helped. She let them frame her face, and concentrated instead of taking in her surroundings.

Today the classroom had nice, small breezes wafting in from the glassless windows, accompanied by the sunlight. Fae was speaking to Tere Kalandra, and her friends were scattered about the room, chatting and getting ready for class. Torin was silent, deep in his meditation breathing, his eyes closed. Rowan and Kelon were in conversation, smiles on their good-natured faces. Although Rowan was painfully shy, she spoke to Kelon as easily as she spoke to her, with only a hint of pink around her cheeks. But then, it was hard not to feel at ease talking to Kelon. There was only one other girl in the classroom that wasn't one of her closest friends, and she was staring off into space, her eyes clouded. Aura wondered if she was in the midst of a working when Tere Kalandra tapped her desk softly.

All conversation seized, and all eyes turned to her. Aura realized that Fae had taken a seat, and smiled at her. Fae returned her smile quickly, before Tere Kalandra had begun to speak.

"I decided that we would try something quite different today." The tall woman spoke, her voice melodious. The instructor had long silver hair that sweeped the floor, with matching silver eyes. She wore a white robe with gold edged around the hem that signified her as an Air Temple instructor, but the way she held herself demanded respect even without the help of her attire.

"With the strong grasp of the foundations, I believe you all are quite ready for this...new challenge." She spoke, her eyes twinkling. She smiled, and extended her right hand out towards the center ceiling while extending her left out towards the windows. The students all looked up, their curiosity evident in their expressions. No one sat in the middle of the room, for it was reserved to serve such purposes as this.

The wind changed abruptly, and the cold wind from outside began pouring in through the windows. The wind gathered in the middle, however, was starting to radiate warm waves out towards the students, and Aura started to realize what was about to happen, as it flashed before her eyes.

Lightning! The flash was not strong enough to blind, but the vibrations in the air was felt by all present in the room. It was exhilarating.

Try to contain a spark, summon it to yourself and shape it in the way you want. Tere Kalandra had sent all of them a thought-message, for the wind whipped around their ears and made it hard to hear. The second flash came, and Aura instantly stretched out her index finger and middle finger in unison, focusing her will and call to the spark. The spark did not come willingly, for it had a will of its own. It wanted to be gone, absorbed into the atmosphere. Aura bid it to stay and come to her outstretched fingers. After some struggle, it came, but it refused to stay after it reached her fingers. The third strike came, and this time, she was able to contain a spark in her fingers. She added the other hand, outstretching the index and middle fingers to touch each other, then widened the gap between them until the spark lengthened in the gap. Then, she brought her fingers in a full circle, shaping the spark into a thin loop. She succeeded, and experimented with it, shrinking it until it was small enough to be a ring on her smallest finger and enlarging it so that it became as big as a chakra. She held the chakra version of the spark in her right hand and looked up to observe the endeavors of her friends.
Gil-galad_of_Lindon
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2004 10:04
Things weren't nearly as interesting as in Metalworking. The teacher had instructed the students to undertake a projet that combined all the skills they had learned in the past month. Of course, the Fire gifted had also been told that they were not allowed to use any furnaces. Supplies were at the front of the classroom, and there had been a mad dash for each student to get what he or she desired. But Lix had stayed back. She did not like to rush into things without thought. So while most of the class were trying to figure out what to do with the various metal they had claimed, Lix was shaping the image of a circlet, nacklace, and bracelet in her mind and planning how to fashion them. She looked at what was left; silver, copper, small bits of gold, bronze, and iron. It didn't take her long to sort them out into piles for each piece, and as most others were beginning swords, Lix was using the smaller tools with finer movements and more attention. Currently she had melted the silver and was stretching it into the thinnest possible strands for the circlet. It broke several times, but Lix was unusually patient when it came to her crafts.

[Edited on 8/3/2004 by ithillinde]
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2004 08:51
(OOC: That's okay, Electra! I understand how it can be)

Arden flipped through his book and thought absentmindedly about his project. The boy scuffled his feet on the floor a little; he didn't really feel like school today. Sighing a little, Arden pushed his book away and drew his tools towards himself. Might as well start...

[Edited on 9/3/2004 by ithillinde]
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2004 01:39
Torin found success in creating a spark on his second try. He shaped it and reshaped it, experimenting with his new found ability. He looked over at Aura who seemed gotten quickly enough. His eyes then glanced over at his older brother Kelon who was having very little trouble before returning to concentrating before it was whipped out by the wind in his moment of not being focused.

Kelon's spark was in the form of a simple circle, he had a little trouble like most of those in his class but found it easy once he got the hang of it.

(I'm sorry it's so short.)
lyrav9
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2004 01:53
Rowan tried several times before she could hold a spark in her hands. The first few attempts were made very tentatively, as if she were testing the waters to see how it would be done. She would touch and let go, touch and let go, each time her tries getting stronger and the spark growing brighter.

Rowan seemed to know exactly when give it her all. A thrill of something - excitement? magic? power? - would run up her spine and she sensed she was ready. So closing her eyes and focusing on drawing the air around her, she pictured a spark circling above her hands. The spark was just out of reach, but curling her fingers inward, it settled gently into the palm of her hand.

She opened her eyes and saw it sitting there, calmly - if a spark can be calm - and smiled. She looked around to find all her friends were successful in their endeavors. But she turned towards Kelon, almost as if she was seeking his approval, and said softly to him, "Your spark looks beautiful."

[Edited on 12/3/2004 by ithillinde]
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2004 07:13
Kelon smiled warmly at Rowan, who's spark was centered in her palm. Surprisingly calm unlike most of the others which flickered like flames about to go out for some.

"Ah, but not as beautiful as yours,"he told her, his eyes still holding the same warm smile.

When it seemed as if everyone grasped the concept or were successful, Tere Kalandra had them come to an end.
Aranel_Laivinelen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2004 09:56
(((Thanx for editing your post, lyrav9!)))

After the introduction to lightning, Tere Kalandra ended the lesson with meditation, to calm their senses and to restore
controlled breathing. Aura felt energized, and her magick flowed through her, like blood pumping through her veins, with every breath. It was then that they all heard the warning bell.

The deep bell rang throughout the Temple, jarring everyone who heard it. It only meant one thing. The Temple was being attacked.

Tere Kalandra nodded to the class, and they all followed her out of the classroom. The white-robed Learners, the young ones who haven't even received the rank of an Initiate yet, were being ushered to their dorms by their caretakers. They had frightened looks on their faces, but none let out any other signs of distress. The Water Initiates and some of their instructors headed to the Houses of Healing, their steps brisk. The Earth Initiates headed to the Brewery, to brew medicine for the to-be-wounded. The Air Initiates and the Fire Initiates ran to the outer walls, going to the Watchtowers. The instructors all reported to the Northern Tower. And that was where the Air Manipulation class went to.

Aura sent her winds out, eavesdropping for information. Her winds returned to her with snippets of hurried conversation as the Temple's inhabitants hurried to their designated places. Ahead of her, Tere Kalandra had met up with Tor Rubin, and their conversation flowed to her ears as her currents picked it up.

"But the pirates haven't attacked Elanel for many years." Tere Kalandra spoke in her gentle voice that was streaked with alarm.

"Their old leader was overthrown. The new leader has forged an alliance with the Eastern Mages..." Tor Rubin's last comments were lost as the wind whipped around as they rounded a winding path to approach the outer walls. Tor Rubin whispered some words in the Mage tongue, and swept his hands over the wall. The white stone wall cracked in the shape of a door, and Tere Kalandra pulled out a small key from the invisible inside pockets of her robe. When the door opened, they saw the Northern Tower, a massive stone structure almost twenty stories high, with its three-hundred and thirty-three steps looming up to the sky before them, and those that have yet to witness the sight let out a small gasp. The group went into the tower, and saw the winding steps that seemed to stretch on forever to the darkness above. The place was dimly lit with torches, with flames that did not flicker even when the door was opened and the strong currents of air was let in.

"Are we to climb these stairs?" Lix, who had come with Tor Rubin and Arden into the tower, spoke, her dismay clearly shown on her face.

"No, we must get up as quickly as we can. I have a better idea." Tere Kalandra winked at her, and ushered the group into the center of the tower, where an empty space stretched up to the ceiling above. While Tere Kalandra walked a circle around the group, Aura absentmindedly ran her fingers through the strands that had escaped her ponytail, and felt her hair spring up at her touch. She still had remanents of lightning left. She combined her lightning with the static electricity from her hair, and fashioned a ball of light, letting it float up to illuminate the whole area.

Tere Kalandra sent her a thoughtful look, an indecipherable expression on her face. Then she turned from her, her eyes clouded over in concentration at the working at hand, and the air around them began to whip around them, although there were no windows in the stairwell to let any winds in. The group began to rise, accelerating as they went. Aura, who had let her lightning disappear into her hair, leaned down to inspect the hard surface she was standing on, and saw that it was solidified air. They passed by a blur of stairs, and slowed as they reached the top. They stopped at the top landing, and Tere Kalandra waited until everyone had gotten off, then stepped into the landing herself. The air currents slowed, and Tor Rubin, at the head of the group, opened the door, stepping up into the observatory. The domed ceiling of the observatory was pure glass, showing the skies above and granting a view of the whole Temple and the lands surrounding the Temple to the Azure Sea beyond. A small group of Dedicators and Dedicateres (Tor and Tere for short) stood in the center of the room, with only a few students with them, whispering and murmuring amongst themselves. They joined the group in the center, and waited for Supreme Dedicator Korydon, who was currently looking out in the direction of the Azure Sea, to give them instructions.

[Edited on 12/3/2004 by Aranel_Laivinelen]

[Edited on 13/3/2004 by CarolP]
Electra
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2004 06:56
Following the other students, Fae’s long strides lead her quickly to the out white stone walls. Whispering a few words and sweeping their hand over the wall Tor Rubin formed a door from the stone. Tere Kalandra pulled out a small key from the invisible inside pockets of her robe, and unlocked the door to the Northern Tower. Stepping inside, the students crowded in a circle as Tere Kalandra circled about them, solidifying the air beneath them. Fae’s teal eyes flickered as she saw the ball of light Aura created, and smiled at her, but said nothing.

The smile quickly whisked from her fair complexion as they entered the observatory. Gazing up at the tall doming ceilings made of glass Fae wondered how long they would be there, having over heard parts of a conversation before between two teachers. ‘The Pirates have returned,’ she thought curiously, ‘I wonder what they want,’ she paused turning her gaze about the room again, as the single answer came to her instantly, ‘Power.’

Crossing her soft red clad arms Fae’s defiantly teal eyes gazed out over the lands, a small fire flickering in her core, as a thought raised every so slightly, ‘Let them come.’ Knowing she was not at all ready for any attack, Fae felt confused at her own surety. ‘Professor already doubts my strength, lashing out doesn’t prove anything.’ She chide herself for her own thoughts, turning her gaze to the smooth marble ground she focused on the different swirls and patterns as the Supreme Dedicator Korydon pivoted his own eyes from the Azure Sea to instruct them. As he spoke her eyes seem to fall on each detail, and Fae’s quick mind started rising, ‘Did these designs form a code?’ she wondered, but her attention was ripped away from a teachers gaze. A man she had never seen before there, an elderly man with snow white hair and hazel eyes. Clenching her teeth Fae returned her attention to the Supreme Dedicator Korydon listening to his instructions, for she disliked being noticed, but on the other hand disliked being a follower. Usually in her group of friends Fae was the first to try something, but never going to far with anything, or revealing her true finish. Strong willed and smart mouthed many of the teachers had a hard time getting through to Fae, as did some of the students. Her honesty clashing with others at times, but Fae never meant to be rude, only truthful.
lyrav9
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 03:49
After her success with creating lightening, Rowan was filled with happiness and satisfaction. It was a rare mood for her to be so happy. Which is why she was caught off-guard when the warning bells began sounding. Shooting a frightened look at her friends, they were quickly ushered out of the classroom by Tere Kalandra.

Rowan silently followed them up into the North Tower. She had calmed herself on the way there and was able to fully observe what was around her. The North Tower overlooked the entire grounds of the Temple, from twenty stories high. Tere Kalandra had carried the entire group up with air currents. At the moment she could not see anything other that the rolling green hills and sparkling blue streams, but a wall of fog was hiding a view of the outside.

Rowan faded into the background, unconsciously choosing a shaded corner to stand in. The light blond hair and lavender dress would have been easily noticable in the dark shadows if it was anyone other than Rowan who was standing there. She leaned against the smooth wall and watched. The instructors were all there listening intently to Supreme Dedicator Korydon giving out instructions. She also noticed that the students of her Air Manipulation's class were the only ones in the tower, and no other initiates.

Underneath their calm facade, the instructors were worried and anxious. Rowan watched as some faces tightened slightly at the mention of pirates, and how others closed their eyes for a little longer than necessary. She also caught Supreme Dedicator Korydon's eyes flicker more than once over to Aura. Everyone else was too busy to have caught those guarded looks under his lashes. Rowan wondered what that could mean.

Meiri was already halfway out the door of the House of Meditation when the warning bells began to ring. She'd felt curents of warning running through her body as she was meditating, and then she'd known something was coming. By the time she was at the door, she was already sensing the auras around her trying to understand if this was a true attack and mentally going over her healing strategies for when the time came to use them.

Looking at Meiri's face, one could say that she looked unconcerned about what was going on, and in a way that was true. She had a great confidence in the people around her that she trusted them to do whatever was possible to make things right and had no reason to dout their strength. And also because she could not let outside matters ruffle her inner calm. But, she was worried that she hadn't had a stronger premontion about this before. Elanel had not been attacked in years and she would have imagined that a threat this large would be easily sensed. There must be some strong magic working on the outside.

Meiri brushed back her long black braid back over her shoulder and serenely drifted over the courtyard to the Houses of Healing. The Houses of Healing were a large, sprawling expanse of interconnected buildings. They were divided into various sections, each House dedicated to a specific type of injury and the extent of injury. She would get her orders from the Head Healer where her place would be. She was advanced enough to be directed into the Central House, where the most severe cases were treated. But she'd never performed a Healing for anyone that seriously injured.

As Meiri crossed the threshold of the main entrance, she felt, rather than saw, Peren turning around a corner. He was headed to the Brewery, which was located next to the Houses of Healing. She paused where she was and waited for Peren to come into view. When he saw her his face visibly relaxed. Meiri knew he'd been looking for her, and would not have entered the Brewery until he knew where she was.

"Peren," she said, walking up to him, "do you know what this is about?"

[Edited on 3/16/2004 by lyrav9]
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2004 06:12
Peren's green eyes studied his friend. "I do not know, although I heard some of the other students say something about pirates." he stated, hands full of herbs he had brought with him. "I suppose some of the others may be needed to fight." he gave Meiri a slight smile, sensing her unsurety. "You'll do fine. I must get to the Brewery now"

Arden stood with Lix, unsure of what to do or say. For once, the usually joking fire-user was silent, his red-clad arms crossed.
Gil-galad_of_Lindon
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2004 10:49
Lix suddenly noticed Arden standing next to her and stopped her work. She moved her eyes, nothing else, to look at him.
"Do you need help?" she asked as kindly as she could.
She didn't like being watched very much.

[Edited on 18/3/2004 by CarolP]
Aranel_Laivinelen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2004 06:17
Aura silently observed the room. Tere Kalandra walked over to Tere Rana, who was with Tor Silvanus, and soon Tor Rubin joined them. Aura knew that the four of them were part of the Guardian Circle, Supreme Dedicator Korydon's four pillars, most respected amongst the mage community. They have fought with Tor Korydon in the Great War, when the Eastern Mages allied with the Hafalas Empire to launch an attack against Melorea for the first time on a grand scale. They aimed to wipe out the small kingdom of Melorea, which was in recent turmoil from the mutiny of the First King. This took place almost thousands of years ago, when the gods still roamed the mortal lands. The Guardian Circle and Tor Korydon defeated the Emperor Mage of the Eastern Mages, Emperor Kojiren, whose name some still fear to speak. They traveled to Elanel after the Great War, and established Elemental Circle, to train the young mages with the most potential to serve the kingdom.

Aura noted wariness on the instructors' faces as the spoke quietly amongst themselves. Aura resisted the temptation to eavesdrop. It would be rude, and Aura knew that if it was something she needed to know, she would know in time.

Tor Korydon turned, and briefly fixed his gaze on Aura's astonished face before he shifted his gaze about the room. As the room settled into silence, Aura recovered from her initial shock. She thought she had seen something along the lines of approval in Tor Korydon's eyes. She wondered if he had glimpsed her thought, and blushed slightly. While she recovered, she felt someone moving close to her, and turned her head slightly. It was Torin. He came to stand next to her, and just then, Tor Korydon's voice penetrated the complete silence. Aura and Torin fixed their full attention on Tor Korydon as he spoke.

"We have Seen the Pirates of the North cross the Northern Boundaries. The Northern Watch has confirmed it." Tor Korydon's eyes fell upon the Circle briefly, his eyes twinkling, almost with pride. Then he turned to the crowd, his expression serious. "They are heading for the shores of Elanel, to arrive around mid-day." His eyes traveled around the room, meeting everyone’s eyes. “We must be prepared for this threat.”

Heads nodded, as looks of determination marked the faces of the room. As Tor Korydon moved amongst them, giving each one a specific duty, Aura found Tor Korydon’s eyes move over to her more than once, making her very uncomfortable. She found herself taking comfort in Torin’s presence next to her, and bowed meekly when it was their turn to be assigned their duty. The Circle had moved behind Aura and Torin, and Tere Kalandra gathered her Air Manipulation class to her, while Lix and Arden stood with Tor Rubin with the rest of their metalworking class.

“Are they ready?” Tor Korydon asked Tere Kalandra softly.

Tere Kalandra nodded, laying her gentle hand on Rowan’s shoulder, who was staring uncomfortably at the ground.

“Some of you will accompany Tere Kalandra to the shores. The rest of you will stay behind to attempt to shift air currents to our advantage. Perhaps we can even stop this threat from reaching our shores.” Tor Korydon looked around, starting from the back of the gathered group and coming to rest his eyes on Aura.

“I shall leave the decision up to Tere Kalandra.” Tor Korydon finally spoke, closed his eyes briefly, then moved on.

“Kelon, Sari,” Tere Kalandra pointed to Kelon, and then to the girl Aura didn’t know in her Air Manipulation class.

“And Aura. You three stay here. The rest of you, come with me.”

Before Aura could protest, she heard Tere Kalandra’s voice in her head.

There will be a greater need for you here than out there. Report to the Eastern Tower. Tere Kalandra met Aura’s eyes with a stern look, then signaled for Rowan, Torin, and Fae to follow her out of the room. Aura’s friends threw her a sympathetic look, then walked out.

Aura was feeling very much under appreciated, for she felt as if Tere Kalandra felt that she was not ready to face the combat with the Eastern Mages. She knew that she was ready. She had proved it to be true over and over again. Then why would Tere Kalandra leave her behind?

Kelon joined her, and Aura smiled, not letting her disappointment show. She noticed that Lix had stayed behind with a few people Aura did not recognize, and Arden had left with Tor Rubin. Lix also joined her.

“We are to do house work while they get all the fun.” Lix spoke, a mischievous look on her face. ‘I’m to report to the Brewery to help keep the fire under control.”

“Well, let’s get started then.” Aura spoke, sharing a wistful smile with Lix, then bid her farewell.

They stepped back onto the landing, back into the stairwell. Aura jumped down, letting herself fall for a while, then slowed her landing until she felt the ground under her feet, her knees automatically bending. She waited until Kelon and Sari followed suit, then stepped out of the tower, and they ran down the small hill on which the Tower was built without a backward glance.

[Edited on 25/3/2004 by Aranel_Laivinelen]
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2004 06:37
Arden followed Tor Rubin with some of the other students. He shivered a little, as the air suddenly seemed colder. Half closing his eyes as he ran, he reached inside himself for the fire that always burned within. Warmed and more confident, Arden's eyes reopened and the pale boy smiled a little as the shore came into view.

Peren was crushing some herbs into powder, when his half blind crow, Kain, squawked and flapped his wings. The dark-haired boy looked up. "What is it?"

Kain's feathers ruffled before he smoothed them down again. Peren gave a half-smile. "It will be awhile until you go into a battle again my friend." he stated, turning back to his motar and pestle. "My place is with the healers...but..." he cocked his head, one green eye looking at Kain with an inquistiveness that was almost birdlike. The crow gave squawk in reply and flew out a nearby window. Peren watched him fly away. Kain would be his eyes for the battle.

Tira, the chipmunk who usually took residence in Peren's tunic pocket, stuck her head out, nose quivering. Jace, his fox, lifted his head from where he had been sleeping. The boy looked back to his work. They could probably feel the change in the air.
Aranel_Laivinelen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 08:20
The wind whipped around Aura, Sari and Kelon as they climbed the long climb upto the hill where the Eastern Tower stood. Aura coaxed the wind to flow past them, not hinder their climb.

When the door swung open, Aura saw the familiar empty chute reaching up into the darkness. She had gathered threads of wind on her climb, and felt the winds tug at her clothes and hair as they encircled her. She stepped into the tower, and without hesitation, flung her winds down to propel herself up. She felt up for the trapdoor that she knew was right above her, then bid it to grant her entry with her mind. She felt the door fling open and propelled herself onto the top of the tower. The wind was strong here, for the top of the Eastern Tower was not enclosed in a glass dome like the Northern Tower. Instead, the top was open to the sky, and served as a watchtower of the Air Gifted. Aura felt her hair being freed from its bond and quickly willed the leather strap to her hand. She pocketed it, and looked around.

The Eastern Tower was full of panicked Air Initiates briskly walking around the walkway, attempting to achieve something they were having limited success with. Aura sent out her winds, to find out what they were trying to do.

"The winds are too strong! I cannot grab hold!" A strained cry whipped past her.

Aura whipped her gaze around, her gray eyes searching for the source of the voice. She found the girl on the opposite side of the tower, rising into the air, careening out of control and starting to be carried away swiftly by the wind.

Aura instantly found Kelon's eyes and a wordless signal was exchanged. They rose into the air simultaneously, in control and with purpose. To her surprise, Sari followed them, revealing herself to be adept at flying. Aura signalled for them to each send a strand of air out and they quickly wove a net of fast-moving air currents over the girl. When they got back on land, the girl was safely returned to the ground.

Now, over the tower! Aura thought to Kelon and Sari, and they willed the net over the tower, expanding it to cover the entire landing. The wind at the top of the tower drastically dropped, and voices fell.

Aura lowered herself so that she was on eye level with the girl, who was almost carried away by the wind. "Are you all right?" Aura asked softly, meeting the girl's green eyes with her gray ones. The girl slightly trembled, then nodded. Aura helped her to her feet, then looked out onto the landing. All eyes fell on her and her comrades, some with looks of awe, others with envy and contempt. Finally, a platinum-haired boy detached himself from the silent onlooking group, and came upto the girl.

"You okay, Xantha?" He asked, his eyes concerned. When he received his reply, he turned to Aura. "Thank you. My sister and I are greatly indebted to you." He bowed to her, his index finger and middle finger outstretching together and crossing over to his left shoulder.

"No need for that. We did only what needed to be done." Aura spoke, her eyes warm and grasped the boy's shoulder. He straightened, then smiled in gratitude. "My name is Xino, and this is Xantha. You are...?"

"Aura. And this is Kelon and Sari." Aura completed the introductions, and felt the tension in the air drop as conversation started up again all around the tower.
Aranel_Laivinelen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2004 04:08
They stopped at the edge of the forest, and just beyond the sandy shores, they could see the deep blue of the Azure Sea. Tere Kalandra found Tor Silvanus' eyes, and he gave her a small wink. She let a small grin escape, then turned to the serious task at hand.

She motioned for Fae, Torin, and Rowan to come closer. As they did, she knelt down and laid her hands atop Rowan and Fae's shoulders, the ones closest to her.

"This threat threatens our lives, and the ones of the people we love." She spoke softly, meeting their eyes. "We go into battle because we have no other choice. However, we do not do so blindly, we must have a plan, for to fight the Eastern Mages without one is a sure defeat."

"The pirates do not weild magic, so they would send the Eastern Mages first, to finish us, then come out for the plunder." Tere Kalandra gave a little smile, then continued. "The Eastern Mages draw on the Dark for their power, from the Fallen."

"Who is this Fallen? I do not recognize the name..." Fae voiced her question, herself very knowledgable about the past.

"Phoeanor had a twin brother, the First Born called Pathos. Little else is known about him, except that he was exiled to a different plane of existance by Melor and Laurea, called the Darkness. With the fall of the First King, Pathos has been gaining much power, and he has been able to transport his spirit back to this plane, into willing bodies." She stopped, wondering how much she can tell them. She hesitated, then spoke, with caution. "It is rumored that Emperor Mage Kojiren shares his husk with the God of Darkness."

A collective gasp escaped the girls' lips. Torin stayed silent, his intense eyes in total concentration.

"You must not, in any circumstance, face the Emperor Mage alone. In fact, if things go as planned, you will not face any of the Eastern Mages alone. You are to stay hidden in this forest, until you hear the eagle's cry or see our red signal flares." Tere Kalandra put emphasis on every syllable. "Do not venture into the battle when you are not supposed to. Understand?"

The three nodded, and Tere Kalandra felt the tug on her mind. She closed her eyes briefly, then opened her mind up to the person sending the message, her father.

It is time, Kalandra. The warm voice of Tor Korydon's voice was tinged in her mind with determination.

Tere Kalandra opened her eyes, then bid her charges farewell. "May Astra guard your hearts and guide your paths under the sky." She blessed them, then left quickly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tor Rubin, Tor Silvanus and Tere Rana was already there, as Tere Kalandra completed the Circle. She met Tor Rubin's eyes for a moment, inquiring with her eyes about Tor Rubin's charges.

"They are safe and well-instructed." Tor Rubin whispered to her, and she knew that he had given them similar instructions. She felt Tor Silvanus' hand find hers and squeeze in encouragement. She knew that he was telling her to relax, but the air itself around her was tense. She calmed her mind and her racing heart, for she needed a clear mind to accomplish this task at hand.

She opened her eyes, meeting her father's wise ones. She saw so much in them, for her father was responsible for the lives of many. She saw worry, weariness, and determination, along with love and compassion.

I'm here, Father. You do not have to bear this burden alone. She spoke to his mind.

I must, Kalandra. At least for now. He replied, sorrow in his mind voice. Then he spoke aloud, "They are coming."

Five pairs of eyes turned to look at the horizon, and they saw that from their vintage point, atop a massive boulder, the ships were starting to appear. They were silvery black in the sunlight, and Tere Kalandra could not stop the small shiver from running down her back. She felt the onset of an ominous cloud, as the sky above the ships were darkened. The black clouds rolled towards shore, and distant thunder sounded from them. She was grateful for the comfort of Tor Silvanus' hand and grasped it tightly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We are too late." Aura spoke, frustration in her voice. She opened her eyes, and saw that Xantha had burst into tears, mistaking her tone of frustration as one directed at her. She softened her tone. "Sorry Xantha, I wasn't mad at you. I was mad at the pirates." Xantha wiped away her tears, sniffing. Aura stood, impatient. "There must be something we can do still."

"We can try to clear up the sky for them." Kelon spoke. "It would be to their advantage that they fight under a clear sky than under rain, probably an acid one at that."

"Yeah, we can do that." Xino piped up.

Aura couldn't help smiling at the guy's enthusiasm. She took a deep breath, then nodded. "Yes, let's."

Aura turned to the group. "We have failed at stopping the boats from reaching the shores, but we can still aid them by clearing away the rain clouds that accompany their boats. Will you not aid them?"

The group responded with choruses of "we will"s. Even the reluctant ones agreed, nodding ever so slightly.

Aura took another calming breath, then smiled. "All right then. What are we waiting for?" They all sat down, and closed their eyes, slipping into the Aeral form, and flying to the shores, their bodies left behind.
Aranel_Laivinelen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2004 09:56
We cannot hold for long! Tere Kalandra desperately thought to no one in particular, as winds whipped her floor-length silver hair around. They were currently protected by Tor Korydon's shield, which guarded them against the acid rain that was pouring out of the sky. The rain fell heavily against it, beating down with a force that was only just matched by the powerful shield. The ships were just reaching the shoreline, and five figures cloaked in black disembarked the ship slowly, as if savoring their trapped victims.

Just hold on. Although Tor Silvanus, one of the Earth Gifted, was not an innate telepathic, through physical contact, by touching her hand, was able to intercept her thought and reply in return. Tere Kalandra and Tor Korydon concentrated in altering the wind somehow, to change the direction of the murderous clouds and the unnatural rain, but the simple task of holding the shield up preoccupied the two Air Gifted, and little was done about the falling rain.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aura hovered above the lines of trees, looking on. She could feel the presence of her friends in those woods, but she knew she could not linger in the comfort that brought her. Instead, she went on past the forest to the shores, where she saw the brilliant white light of Tor Korydon and Tere Kalandra's power shielding the Circle against the rain that only fell on the sandy shores beyond the border of the trees. In her Aeral form, she knew that she would not be affected by the physical rain, but still not be immune to its psychological affects. She braced herself.

Hang on, guys! She cried out in her mind, then plunged into the darkness, others following her.

They were immediately overcome with feelings of dark doom bearing down upon them, and chills overcame their Aeral bodies. Slowly they recovered, thinking pleasant thoughts, and went to work on the winds that ravaged the scene and blew the rain in all possible directions so that the Circle down below were trapped in one position, on their boulder and under their shield. They drew on the winds they had brought with them, fresh winds from beyond the forest, and threaded them to make them stronger.

No, first trap the rain clouds, don't worry about the rain! Aura directed the group of Air Gifted Aerals to send their winds to the rain clouds, not fling the already falling rain away from the group on land. It would take them too long, and time was of the essence.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Torin's eyes were fixed on the battle raging, or rather, the unequal ambush of the Eastern Mages against the Four, and ran his fingers through his hair. It was his habit when he was frustrated about something that was beyond his control. When he caught himself doing it the second time, he lept up to his feet.

"I don't know about you guys, but I can't stay here and watch while those guys gain the advantage over our group." Torin said, his voice clearly mirroring his frustration. "Are you with me, or not?"

"But Tere Kalandra said--" Fae started to protest, then was cut off by Torin's interruption.

"She did say, didn't she?" Torin interjected. "Well, she did say that we should not leave the forest, right?"

"Yes...?" Fae spoke, looking to where Rowan was carefully watching them, silent.

"Let's just say that we leave our bodies behind, hidden in the forest, safe and sound. She didn't say anything about our Aeral forms joining the battle, now did she?" Torin reasoned, a playful look adorned by his twinkling eyes. "What do you say?"

Fae looked to Rowan, who looked determined, and a meaningful look was exchanged between them. She finally turned back to Torin, who was waiting for her reply. She took a deep breath. "All right, then. Let's."

They sat down on the mossy forest ground, and slipped into their Aeral forms, then flew over the treetops to join the fray above the battle.

The first thing they saw was the Aeral group above the battle, attempting to strip away the advantage the Eastern Mages had unfairly placed in their favor.

They exchanged looks, and went over to Aura, Kelon, and Sari, who was busy trying to contain the rain clouds above, with the other group of less experienced Air Initiates. Without a word, they quickly added their numbers to theirs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aura saw her friends join the fray, and exchanged a brief greeting before they added their skills to their fruitless attempts. Again, the clouds refused to budge, held there by a stronger, darker force, and the winds forced on them did no damage.

Where is it being held? Torin's familiar mind voice invaded her despairing thoughts.

I don't know. Wait... She surrendered her hold on the winds to Torin, and flew down to the ships docked at the shores of the Azure Sea, with the Eastern Mages calmly sitting around, waiting, as if for the break in the storm that would allow them to go in and finish off the drained group that defended the shores. Aura bit her rising anger down to a controllable level, and searched for the culprit. There. She found the one responsible for the storm, dressed in black and gazing up into the sky with menacing eyes, eyes that held the clouds to their position over the shores. She gave no thought for any plan of action. She plunged down, and ran her fingers through her hair, gathering up her stored energy of lightning. She let it grow between her fingers, feeding it her controlled anger, and released it, aiming it directly at the man. The lightning traveled through the sky in a flash, then it struck its mark. The man, wide-eyed, and paralyzed when struck, let out a cry of agony, and fell to the ground, his eyes empty. Aura did not know if he was dead or just unconscious, but she knew that her work was done. She flew up to join her friends, and the freed clouds were driven past the shores, away from the Dedicators, towards the black ships of the Northern Pirates and the waiting Eastern Mages.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email