Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the week- March 1 st, 2004 [4.1.ToS]
on: March 01, 2004 03:37
From TTT Chapter 12 The Taming of Sméagol
'I wonder,'said Frodo. 'Its my doom, I think, to go to that Shadow yonder, so that a way will be found. But will good or evil show it to me?'...

Frodo obviously believes that he is not the master of his own destiny but rather, his course has been chosen for him . The forces of both Good and Evil want him to head towards Mordor so he is sure that a route will be found for him.
He almost feels as though he is a pawn on a great chess game - but he doesn't know who is directing his moves.

[Edited on 2/3/2004 by Figwit]
legolasfan27
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the week- March 1 st, 2004 [4.1.ToS]
on: March 02, 2004 09:27
He does sound rather fatalistic, doesn't he? Almost as though it hadn't been his choice, to take the ring out of the Shire, to Bree and then Rivendell, then to Mount Doom. That he's just been following a path in huge mosaic, the exact pattern of which unclear to him but which has long been laid. Kinda makes you wonder how Tolkien felt about "free will"....
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the week- March 1 st, 2004 [4.1.ToS]
on: March 03, 2004 12:37
Well, Gandalf does tell him that there are other powers at work in this world, other powers than the will of evil. The entire trilogy hints very often at the idea of fate being the ultimate Director - fate as in the songs of Illúvatar and the Ainur, for those who read the Sil.

I also like the fact that Frodo realises it's not really in his hands.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email