Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post 4.I. The Taming of Sméagol
on: March 07, 2004 01:06
A few questions (as ever, pm me if you know any better ones):

1) What *does* happen to Frodo's sight?

2) The Elvish rope is a typical example of Tolkien magic. Why doesn't it come across as silly?

3) Gollum: how is he introduced? Why are Sam and Frodo's reactions so different? Where did Gollum get the skills to persuade people? Why does Frodo address him as Sméagol?

4) 'Sméagol will swear on the precious.' Is it Sméagol who swears this, or Gollum.

PbHf's Quote of the week deals with the idea of fate in this chapter, and with Gollum's promise.

[Edited on 31/3/2004 by Figwit]
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
Post RE: 4.I. The Taming of Sméagol
on: March 12, 2004 08:32
1) What *does* happen to Frodo's sight?

I think it's very much what we would call a psychosomatic reaction. There are several factors that, when combined, make him feel that he has fallen into a complete darkness: the effect of the Ring is getting stronger when they get closer to Mordor, the storm darkens the landscape, and then there's the Nazgûl cry - probably its source isn't very far away. And, we have already seen in the previous chapters what a close contact with a Nazgûl can cause, when Merry was attacked in Bree.

2) The Elvish rope is a typical example of Tolkien magic. Why doesn't it come across as silly?

Maybe because the "magic" is very subtle. The rope just does contain some positive power, as is seen when the closeness of the rope lifts the darkness from Frodo's eyes, and when it unties itself. But, there's no need to cast any spells or perform any rituals to make the "magic" work.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: March 19, 2004 06:17
frodos sight... i always assumed that this was because of the wraith, he only recently had the injury from the blade that drew him into the shadow world, i assumed that the call of the wraith pulled him a bit into that shadow world again.. so affecting his sight (the ringwraiths are described as blind arent they)

the elivsh rope magic doesnt seem silly because tolkien left a get out, it could have been the knot... also the elves are set up as so fantastical in earlier chapters (fair, wise, graceful, immortal, if those arent "magical" i dont know what is) we have been introduced to a food that fills a mans stomach in one bite... a rope that unknots itself isnt too big a leap from that.

i think its smeagol that swears on the precious... the promise bound him for quite some time, so i think it must have been genuine... though i have to admit that i didnt really understand the duel nature of gollum and smeagol until much later in the books (or perhaps even until the film was released)

as for gollums skills at persuding people, frodo and sam were lost and needed to get out, thats a pretty persuasive factor in itself...

Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: March 20, 2004 12:27
lol k, I guess you have a point

i think its smeagol that swears on the precious... the promise bound him for quite some time, so i think it must have been genuine...

I just assumed it was Gollum that made Sméagol swear, which provides him with a loophole: it's Sméagol who swore, so he's still free to take it or harm Frodo.

I never looked at it from that perspective, but I guess you do make a good point!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email