Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
lalludar
Council Member
Send Message
Post DROP (Dragon Riders of Pern) all 15+ books! (anyone thats read come here)
on: March 22, 2004 01:16
i have only read 2 of the books, the first two in the harper hall trilogy, finished the second book today, starting on the third tomorrow. i've read dragogsinger and dragonsong, and starting on dragondrums tomorrow. there are over 15 books, and i think 3 or 4 of trilogy's within those books. the other books are "the people of pern, dragonquest, the whyres of Pern" and many others. if you've read any of them, come her to discuss your likes, dislikes, and anything else about the books. i have many questions to ask also.
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: DROP (Dragon Riders of Pern) all 15+ books! (anyone thats read come here)
on: March 22, 2004 04:37
hmm... "Dragonsdawn", "Dragonflight" "dragonsong" "the white dragon" and.. probably two or three others have i read. I don't remember them especially clearly, but they're good books, I like her representation of dragons. Usually, dragons are a mythological creature, and usually, you can only find them in fantasy, but McCaffrey's branch of mixed sci-fi fantasy is really cool.
harper hall trilogy? Is that the accounts of the Harpmaster or Loremaster or hallmaster or whatever it was he goes by? *doesn't mean to insult*... was his name Robert, or something of the like? *can't remember* I read them probably three or four years ago, sorry..! I remember most of the stories, but not precise details.. like names... At first it tells about his parents, and then he starts telling it... or something like that... *is shutting up now*
Nauma
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: DROP (Dragon Riders of Pern) all 15+ books! (anyone thats read come here)
on: March 22, 2004 06:30
His name's Robinton, and he's the Masterharper. I don't know how many I've read... a bunch of them... but I love the ones about the Harper Hall. Probably because I've always identified with Menolly and Robinton, my two favorite harpers. My obsession with Pern isn't quite as serious as my obsession with LotR, but it might be significant that I have teddy bears named Robinton and Halanna, and nothing named after things from LotR... When you've read the Harper Hall trilogy, you really ought to go and read Masterharper of Pern at the very least, and whatever the one is with the dolphins (Dolphins of Pern, perhaps? ). I've never been as fond of the Pern books that didn't have anything to do with the Harper Hall, but then, I'm much more musician than dragonrider. They're all pretty good books.
Arathorn2112
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 22, 2004 07:05
I'm a big Dragonrider's fan. Anne McCaffery is my second favorite author next to Tolkien. The best way to read the first six books of the series is to read them in this order:

Dragon Flight
Dragon Song
Dragon Quest
Dragon Singer
The White Dragon
Dragon Drums

All six books are interconnected and they each tell a little different view of the whole story. I collect the Pern books and have all first additions prints in the series except for the last one her son wrote. I have read these as many times as I have LOTR. If anyone has any questions just let me know, I probably know more about Pern history than Middle Earth history.:love:

[Edited on 3/23/2004 by Arathorn2112]
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: March 23, 2004 02:53
YAY! Anne McCaffrey's one of my favorite authors. I have ALL the Dragonrider (and Harperhall) books - in hardcover.

"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2004 08:50
I love Anne McCaffrey's Pern, and I have all the books except Dragon's Kin written by Anne and her son Todd McCaffrey. I must say, though, that I prefer her Talent series to Pern.
Precious!
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: March 23, 2004 10:34
One of my favorite series I have to say that the later books started to suffer in quality, though, in my opinion. Too many of the same themes, and the writing wasn't as sharp. Still, I find the entire series enjoyable The only one I haven't read is that one by her and her son...
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
lalludar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2004 03:18
a quick question, is Menolly in any of the books besides the Harper Hall books. and are, uhh, i can't remember his name now. Menolly's first tutor, the one that died at the beginning of Drasgonsong, is he in any of the other books? or is, i can't remember his name eather, menolly's friend and the main character of dragondrums (thats the book i'm currently reading) he in any of da other books?
tuttleturtle
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2004 03:30
I am currently reading Dragon Flight. They are really good
Arathorn2112
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 23, 2004 04:30
Menolly's master was Petiron. He was Master Robinton's father. The only other book that he is in is The MasterHarper of Pern. It's the life story of Robinton and his relationship with his parents.

Menolly and her friend Piemur are in most of the books after DragonQuest. They both play a major role in the series. It's easier to tell you which books their not in:

Moreta, Dragonlady of Pern
Nerilka's Story
Dragons Dawn
Dragons Eye
The Chronicles of Pern; First Fall.

They might not be in the last book that Anne wrote with her son. I'm not sure since I haven't read that one yet.

I'd tell you more, but I don't want to spoil anything.

[Edited on 3/24/2004 by Arathorn2112]
lalludar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2004 02:39
i'm halfway done with DragonDrums. the whole Pern books started in the eightys, didn't they?
Arathorn2112
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 24, 2004 03:31
The seires started in 1967 when Anne wrote a short story called "Dragonrider" for the sci-fi magazine Analog. She got such a good response for it that she decided to write "Dragonflight" which was published in 1968. During 1971 she published "Dragonquest", 7 years later she published "The White Dragon". She also published "DragonDex" in 1978 which had to do with many of the things of Pern.

[Edited on 3/25/2004 by Arathorn2112]
lalludar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2004 12:04
ohhh, cause my godfather read it in the eighties, and he said thats when they came out. guess he's wrong.
Arathorn2112
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 26, 2004 01:04
I don't think that the series got very popular until the early eighties. Plus I don't think they were released in Europe until the late seventies, Anne's publisher, Balintine Books, tended to make sure a series would sell well before they released it internationally.
lalludar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2004 01:37
ohhh. i just got past the part in Dragondrums where Piemur gets his fire lizard i love these books
Lady_Rhaledien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2004 06:42
I've read all her Dragonrider books except the one she's written with Todd. Oh how I love them. I have to admit I like some of the older ones over the newer ones... but I always wince at the inconsistencies that I notice. Still, a great series, one that got me into sci-fi and fantasy when I was just starting to grow up.
I'd have to say the Dolphins of Pern is probably my favorite book of them all, despite the tragedy that set me balling for an afternoon. (Those that have read know what I'm talking about)
Arathorn2112
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 26, 2004 08:14
I'd give my right arm for a bronze fire lizard!. They would make the neatest pet. I've got a dog that you would swear could read your mind, (his name is Jake) but he still doesn't compare to a fire lizard.

Lady R; I know what you mean about The Dolphins, it's one of my favorite Pern books. I would love to meet the Tillek and swim in the seas of Pern. I wish Anne would write a sequel this book.:love:
lalludar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2004 03:00
woohoo! just finished Dragondrums yesterday!
lalludar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2004 11:11
i am now reading moreta: dragonlady of pern
LadyAlyxia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2004 05:08
I've read all of them, I think, except perhaps the most recent ones. I like how they're mostly fantasy with a good splash of sci-fi. the first few are my favorite, but I love the harper hall ones, too. I also liked Nerilka's Story. I'll start a new thread to recommend fantasy books.
lalludar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2004 09:39
At the time that i had made this topic i had only read Dragonsong and dragonsinger. now i have rrad those 2, plus dragondrums, moreta, skies of pern, renegades of pern, dragonsdawn, chronicles of pern:first fall, and Masterharpor of pern, and i am going to the library to get more tomorrow!
hiryu
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2004 03:23
I have read almost all of the pern series, I thought it was quite good.
MarilleTheMadElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2004 06:11
A friend of mine told me about a website that tells you what order to read the DROP series. I can't find it, would any of you guys know about it? If you know the web address PM me. Thanks.
StormyBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2004 10:26
A friend of mine told me about a website that tells you what order to read the DROP series. I can't find it, would any of you guys know about it? If you know the web address PM me. Thanks.

This is from Anne McCaffrey's website.
http://www.annemccaffrey.org/
Go to "books" at the top, then click on "series" and then "Dragonriders of Pern." You'll get her own how-to-read guide. Put your mouse over a book for details.

hope that helps
lalludar
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2004 02:08
ohhh, i didn't know that, i just read them all in different orders LOL, exept for the Harper Hall trilogy
Isafjordur
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2004 07:44
I started with the Harper Hall trilogy, actually. I liked the books so much that I moved into reading the other books in order, starting with Dragonflight.

I do love those books! I think Anne kind of jump started science fiction by introducing strong female characters (sci fi and fantasy weren't big on female characters before the 1960s). She also showed that sci fi is not all about space wars and technology but also about society, art, music and biology. I love how she consults with experts to get her theories on astronomy, biology, solar energy and what not for her books.

I agree with Rivka that the last books have not been as good, but I attribute that to the editors, especially when they do not catch details about dragon colors and character names changing in books. But overall, the series is grand!

Has anyone seen the graphic novel (comic) made of "Dragonflight?" Also, I read a rumor somewhere that a US TV network had been thinking of making a TV series about DROP filmed in New Mexico (What? Not New Zealand? Or Iceland? Or Norway?) But the idea was scrapped because the storyline changed so much to appeal to mainstream audiences that it lost the soul of the books.

If it ever gets made into a movie- I think PJ and WETA are THE guys to do it.

Faramirsgirl73
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2004 04:16
The DRAGONRIDERS OF PERN are my favorite book series after THE LORD OF THE RINGS. I think it would be cool to be a dragonrider. Anne said it was like having the perfect pet.
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2004 05:35
I have been an Annefan nearly as long as I have been a Tolkien fan. I have read all the books (including the one by Todd) at least once and most many times. The forum mentioned by Stormy Baggins is a fun place to interact with other fans and I recommend it highly. If anyone has any questions about Pern that some of us here can't answer, I guarantee you that Hans of that site can!
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2005 10:11
In keeping with the discussion on a thread in the Pony I hereby resurect this thread!

A lot has happened regarding Anne and her fans. The official forum I mentiond before is closed as a forum but others have sprung from the ashes and if anyone wants info on them they can pm me and I'll be happy to elaborate.

Anne has turned Pern over to her son Todd now and the jury is still out on how successful that will be. Dedicated fans of any author tend to get snippy about other people dabbling in their idols playground as members of this site know well :rolling:

Anyway, I'd like to know what anyone else here thinks of Todds efforts so far. :feedback:
Isafjordur
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2005 10:57
Anyway, I'd like to know what anyone else here thinks of Todds efforts so far. :feedback:

Howdy! Thanks for resurrecting the thread! How funny! I am just reading right now Todd McAffrey's "Dragonsblood." I also read Dragonkin.

I was actually surprised to find he sticks very close to the spirit and writing style of his mother. (She was vetting his last book). There were a few times I forgot it was not Anne McCaffrey writing the book. He also maintains her tradition of having women as the main characters. I also like that he looks at the watchwhers with respect. The current book deals a lot with some cool genetic theories and a neat timeline paradox plot.

What I don't like is that there are some obvious errors in the plot that editors should have picked up on- things mentioned that contradict what had been confirmed in other books. I blame editors for this, since the later DRoP books by Anne McCaffrey also seem to suffer from this. The only other thing I do not like is some of the female characters smack of Mary Sue traits- I would like them to be a bit more well rounded, not so perfect at everything.

Overall, though, not a bad start. Certainly plotwise in the last book, he has some fun messing with your mind and leaving little puzzles and clues in the plots.

j_mercuryuk
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2005 01:45
I'm a fan. I'm a member of the KTL (anyone else a member?)
But I couldn't get through all the Wyrs of pern and since I haven't read further. Menolly is my favourite, I liked Piemur, but after dragondrums he started. . .well, more annoying me.
I like the whiite dragon, apart from the bits with Jaxom and Ruth. Hate Jaxom though.
Shade_Skypage
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2005 04:43
I've read the Harper Hall trilogy, the Dragon Riders of Pern trilogy, All the Weyrs of Pern, The Skies of Pern, and I plan to get the Dragon Lover's Guide to Pern. On the subject of dragons, Eldest, sequel to Eragon comes out in 27 days and 14 hours
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email