Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the week- March 22nd, 2004 [4.III.BGC]
on: March 22, 2004 03:12
from TTT the Black Gate is Closed
'Hobbits must see, must try to understand. he does not expect attack that way. His Eye is all round, but it attends to some places more than to others. he can't see everything all at once, not yet. You see...

Gollum seems to reasoned this out quite well. He shows a surprising understanding of Sauron's abilities for such a downtrodden individual and he must have been very observant when last he 'visited' Mordor.

[Edited on 25/3/2004 by PotbellyHairyfoot]

[Edited on 26/3/2004 by Figwit]

[Edited on 29/3/2004 by Figwit]
legolasfan27
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the week- March 22nd, 2004 [4.III.BGC]
on: March 26, 2004 06:45
I don't think I give Gollum enough credit, that's a sharp observation indeed! It's odd that Gollum and the Nameless One would share the same obsession- repossessing the One Ring- yet Gollum can see and reason out the flaws in Sauron's scheming and remain blind to his own lust-filled pursuit of it, which will lead to his conspiring to commit murder. Gollum exhibits a very "human" aspect with this observation. Looking back at this section and comparing it with some others, makes me pity him more than anything else...
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: March 29, 2004 12:15
On the other hand, one might argue that this sly thinking is a result of his lust for the Ring, and that his insight is tied in with the desire and the fact that the Ring has taken such control of his thoughts....
legolasfan27
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 09:04
Oh the joys of reading a good book and sharing opinions on it! Can someone really be taken over by the desire for something to the extent that it makes them "smarter"? Seems possible, doesn't it, from what happened to Gollum. He's so fixated and comsumed by the Ring he can see around the plans of someone much more powerful. I guess tunnel vision has its uses; but the end of it proves its limitations.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 11:11
Lol, yeah

I think Gollum really has become very clever at achieving some goals - I mean, he has enough 'people skills' to be pursuasive and he's manipulative, which seems odd to me since he's not around other scentient beings thát often...
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email