Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the week- March 29th, 2004 [4.III.BGC]
on: March 29, 2004 08:22
from TTT the Black Gate is Closed
'The look on Frodo's face was enough for him; he knew that words of his were useless. And after all he never had any real hope in the affair from the beginning; but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed

-nothing monunmental - just a look at Sam's thoughts and concerns [or lack of them] on the mission. It's Frodo's job to worry things through and make plans. Sam just follows along and makes sure that Frodo is talken car of while he looks after the future.

[Edited on 29/3/2004 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the week- March 29th, 2004 [4.III.BGC]
on: March 29, 2004 11:38
I love this quote, Pb, I have it underlined in my copy of TTT.

As a matter of fact, it also says something very important about Tolkien's concept of 'hope': not as long as despair could be postponed. While we think of hope as something that's a natural stance, Tolkien links it to a state of desperation, and only then hope surfaces and is necessary (and useful). That's something to think about!
legolasfan27
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 08:52
I noticed that same line because it must be the only thing I disagree with in Sam's character. Hope isn't supposed to be the last resort when all else has failed and you've arrived at despair, yet that's how Sam sees it because he trusts Frodo to worry about the big issues and has such faith in him he's sure he won't need hope...
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 11:09
I adore that part of Sam's personality! I've always felt that many people 'abuse' hope: and Sam's faith in Frodo's ability is very touching.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email