Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of The Week- apr. 19/04 (4.VI. The Forbidden Pool)
on: April 19, 2004 04:59
From TTT chapter- The Forbidden Pool
From Faramir , directed at Gollum;
'Ther are locked doors and closed windows in your mind and dark rooms behind them,' said Faramir. 'But in this I judge that you speak the truth. It is well for you. What oath will you swear necer to return; and never to lead any living creature hither by word or sign?'

Apparently Faramir has some ability to read into the minds of others. He is certainly a different type of leader than his brother, Boromir.

[Edited on 20/4/2004 by Figwit]

[Edited on 26/4/2004 by Figwit]
legolasfan27
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of The Week- apr. 19/04 (4.VI. The Forbidden Pool)
on: April 19, 2004 09:04
Disclaimer - I've not yet read FoTR, so all I know of Boromir is from what Faramir says of him at Henneth Annun, so if anything I say is incorrect or debatable, feel free to shoot me down.

In dealing with Gollum I see perhaps the biggest difference between the brothers. Earlier Faramir said that his father's decree was for [/i]anyone[i] found in Ithilien to be slain out of hand. I have no doubt from what is said of Boromir that he would have followed this order to the letter, not making the time to stop and judge the person based on his purposes, as Faramir did. And even had Boromir made the exception for Frodo & Sam, he wouldn't have for Gollum. He wouldn't have been interested in binding Gollum by oath or trusting Gollum to keep his word.

It's interesting to wonder how the story would have worked out if Faramir had gone to the Council instead of Boromir....hmmm...
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: April 20, 2004 07:27
Lol, that's an interesting thought indeed!

I don't really know if he's a different kind of leader - he's a different person, that's certain, but I think they both work the same way. We never see Boromir as a leader, and I think part of his behaviour in FOTR is caused by that frustration: he has to follow Gandalf's and Aragorn's lead all the time, and is hardly ever consulted.

But I can imagine Boromir, like Faramir, avoiding unnecessary violence (Boromir isn't a violent man, though he is very quick to pull his sword). I do believe he would never have been so kind to Frodo and Sam, but he would have interrogated them and let them go. The fact that Boromir was tempted by the Ring and Faramir was not, is not only tied up with their different temperament but (imho) mainly with the different circumstances they are in when confronted with Isildur's Bane.
[I have to credit Trignifty for changing my mind about this one ]
legolasfan27
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2004 09:06

The fact that Boromir was tempted by the Ring and Faramir was not, is not only tied up with their different temperament but (imho) mainly with the different circumstances they are in when confronted with Isildur's Bane.

Hmmmm...that's a seriously good point. If the same person is capable of reacting differently to the same thing under different circumstances, can different persons react the same to that aforementioned thing in different circumstances? Have to ponder that one some more...

I've so many more questions, but I'll save them until I can get my hands on FoTR...
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: May 12, 2004 01:48
I wouldnt say from that that faramir could read into the minds of others... i think its obvious if you pay attention that Frodo is carrying a heavy burden and evading questions and you could probably tell from just knowing how people behave that hes being as honest as he can be but theres more to the story that Frodo is letting on... I think that Faramir has just had more oppertunity to study how people behave than his brother and so has a slightly differnt perspective on things
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email