Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of The Week- apr. 26/04 (4.VI. The Forbidden Pool)
on: April 26, 2004 03:32
As we are not going on to the next chapter until next monday I decided to use a second quote from this chapter- from Frodo to Faramir;
' But where else will you direct me?' said Frodo. 'You cannot yourself, you say , guide me to the mountains, nor over them. But over the mountains I am bound, by solemn undertaking to the Council, to find a way or perish in the seeking. And if I turn back, refusing the road in its bitter end, where then shall I go among Elves or Men? Would you have me come to Gondor with this Thing, the Thing that drove your brother mad with desire? What spell would it work in Minas Tirith? Shall there be two cities of Minas Morgul, grinning at each other accross a dead land filled with rottenness?'

This gives a very accurate description of Frodo's dilemna and why he still has to accompany Gollum and follow where he leads.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of The Week- apr. 26/04 (4.VI. The Forbidden Pool)
on: April 26, 2004 04:20
Oh, I marked this quote in my book Pb! You read my mind! I love it, it's a bit like Frodo saying to Faramir: 'You're caution and wisdom are good in theory, but this is the reality I have to face and I can't be cautious.' I love that, how Frodo actually tells Faramir something about the reality of life - while you would guess it'd be the other way round.
legolasfan27
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 26, 2004 08:35
Choice quote, indeed! Frodo sums up what would happen to Faramir's beloved Minas Tirith if the Ring were taken there in a few effectively shudder-inducing words, especially to someone like Faramir who knows what Minas Morgul is like.

Frodo's resolution is unquestionable in this statement...and this is one of those instances when I'm inclined to "forgive" him for being blind to Gollum's evil, he has no choice, after all.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: April 26, 2004 10:47
Shall there be two cities of Minas Morgul, grinning at each other accross a dead land filled with rottenness?'

I especially like this line, it has such a vivid ring to it - I can practically see the two cities 'grin' at eachother.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email