Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
SilentDarkness
Council Member
Send Message
Post Help for the Struggling Author
on: May 19, 2004 08:24
This is a place where people can suggest ways to get over writer`s block (dread!!!!!) or how to find ideas.
SilverMoonLady
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Help for the Struggling Author
on: May 19, 2004 04:47
Ah, the evil writer's block!

Wow, I don't know any one way that works for everyone, but I have found the following rather useful for myself:

1. Music! This is key for me to write well in any case, but the emotions in a really good piece of classical or celtic music just sends pictures flying into my head. Some good alternative music can really do it too, that is all a taste thing, but so, anything that gets your heart and mind moving.

2. Step away. Sometimes, just dropping it and doing something else for a few hours or days is all you need. I know that at the end of my two obligatory non-writing days of the week, I can't stop I'm so full of words and ideas!

3. Write something else. At any given point, there's always at least two pieces in the works for me. I get stuck on one, I go to the other.. Things might move a little more slowly overall, but it does keep me from burning out, especially on the long multi-chaptered angst fests I so enjoy dishing out. So grab that one line/scene that you dashed off on the napkin three weeks ago and do something with that if your main squeeze is stuck. You'd be surprised what can happen.

4. Reread what you have written. Go all the way back and read it through as one piece. There may be a little thread you'd forgotten that's subconsciously snagging you, and this may catch it. Or maybe the initial *wow* idea that inspired you got lost in the details, and this is a good way to get back to it.

Just remember, sometimes all it takes is time. Real Life can take a big bite out of your creativity, your energy or your time, but all situations change. And you never know when the muse might come on back, swinging the ole' cast iron frying pan of inspiration at you. I spent 10 years without creating so much as a limerick, much less something I could show somebody. But it does come back, so keep on dreaming and keep on writing!
Divinity
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 03:57
We understand ! Go for a jog, excersie, get out in nature!! Just let your thoughts run away for awhile. You get your idea.
RoseCottonSam
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 04:41
I always find that reading a book (that might link to your genre) could help you, not using plagerism you could think of a good idea
SilentDarkness
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 04:50
I know a friend of mine told me to go away from the project for a little while and do something else.
Lady_Firniswin
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 05:07
Going for a walk helps, speak to God also. He would know.

Reading books, watching movies, listening to music, playing video games. Walking through a forest or somewhere in nature would help alot.
Illuin
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 07:09
ah the dreaded writer's block--ugh!! I had that for 4 months straight! It was nasty!! Reading helped, music, meditation with scented candles helped a lot, but what really helped me was just to write it out-whut I did was create a word documen on the computer and I just wrote what was on my mind-I just drained myself of all that was blocking my writing and I felt so much better--the key is to just write whutever comes to mind so your mind will empty itself of all the stuff that's in there which causes the block--it helpd me--try it
SilentDarkness
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 09:45
very true. i just need some time.
VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 01:51
Great advice from all of you.
I often have a lot of trouble coming up with ideas. Any advice on that topic would be gratefully accepted.
Thanks! *rushes off to write something*
Celebrian_Kementari
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2004 11:14
It's funny, the "put it aside" idea never works for me, it just makes me lazy. What I do is just keep writing, and trying to do it in a time with no distractions. And if that doesn't work, I go back and try to see where I made a wrong turn. Because if the story isn't compelling to me, it won't be compelling to anyone else, and so I should change something.

I used to just keep writing through the parts of a story I thought weren't very interesting, but then it occurred to me: if they're not interesting, why not take them out? Big inspiration there.

I just find that you have to dedicate a lot of time to the story so that you stay in writing mode. A professional author I heard once said: Write at least five pages a day. Well, I can't manage that, not until I can earn money from writing, but I write for at least an hour a day. If I don't, it just doesn't flow so well.
elvenmaidofmirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2004 11:22
Going for a walk helps, speak to God also. He would know.

Yeah, speaking to God always helps! Yay, Firniswin! Also, don't think about it for a bit. The idea will 'come' to you!
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 04:15
All very excellent ideas. I find that listening to music helps me a lot. I have one other idea that might sound odd: If I'm stuck, I'll pretend to ask one of my characters for help. I've written a few "side stories" as a result of this. It helps me loosen up and I've used some of the material for my main story. Sometimes my characters come up with good ideas!
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Gildor-Inglorion
Elvellon ar Pethdan
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 04:38
Music is definitely a powerful way to make breakthroughs. Music is, very interestingly, one of the most powerful things known to man. If you can find a song that creates the feel you want, the words usually shortly follow.
Reasonably_Crazy
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2004 07:33

~I agree with the music part, but make sure the music expresses the emotions you want to portray. Don't listen to "concerning Hobbits" while writing an angst fic, nor should you listen to romantic piano while writing an action fic. I did that once, and it wasn't pretty.

~I don't know, but I always write better if I handwrite on paper, then go through the paper again, adding or taking out things, and then type it and edit some more. Often if I do this at different times of the day new ideas pop out and improve my work.

~See if there's a certain time of day (or night) or place that inspires you. I like to write best late at night, in my room with a certain lighting. The little things can make a difference; if they're not there, you might choke.
Lindir
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2004 01:56
I tend to find loads of problems with my fics - I've got one now, actually, for my next one - and I find that the best thing to do is think about it all of the time. Not literally, of course, but I think on it when I'm walking the dogs, trecking those three gruelling miles to school. Remember that the human brain is the best computer in the world of Man, so you will come up with something.

Yes, music is a huge help; I tend to listen to the LotR soundtracks, finding a track that fits what I'm trying to write and listening to it intently for a time. Believe it or not, that does actually work: say, for example, that you are trying to think of a sad scene - I find that track seventeen *The Breaking of the Fellowship* on FotR is good, as well as track eighteen on TTT *Samwise the Brave.* Try that and see!

If you are pining for an idea, however, and the God of Plot Bunnies is giving you no cute little rabbits to shoot with the shotgun of inspiration, do not dispare. Watch the news. Watch TV. Read. Think. The last point is the most important one...

I was stuck for an idea a couple of weeks ago, and then I started to think about the time before LotR actually happened. That went on to thinking on Isildur, and then to Aragorn's bloodline ... and then to his father, and the way he grew up. Then I began to think a series of whatifs, and came to the solution that I was going to write a huge fic on Arathorn and Legolas. It just happened. Just like that.

Lindir
uniaeca
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2004 01:55
I know how all of you feel, the evil dreaded writers block that all authors get. But instead of going on about all the times i've had writers block i'll just give you advice I got from the website of my fav author here they are -

Introduce a new character, a strong one with an individual style in speech, dress and behavior--one who will cause the other characters to review their own actions and motives to decide where they stand with regard to the new character. Don't forget that with me, at least, new characters include animals: most characters will react to an animal intrusion of some kind in an interesting way.

Have something dramatic happen. As Raymond Chandler put it, "Have someone come through the door with a gun in his hand." Machinery or vehicles (cars, wagons, horses, camels) can break down; your characters can be attacked by robbers or pirates; a flood or tornado sweeps through. Stage a war or an elopement or a financial crash. New, hard circumstances force characters to sink or swim, and the way you show how they do either will move things along.

Change the point of view from which you tell the story. If you're doing it from inside one character's head, try switching to another character's point of view. If you're telling the story from an all-seeing, third person ("he/she thought") point of view, try narrowing your focus down to one character telling the story in first person, as Huckleberry Finn and Anne Frank tell their stories. If down the road in the world you've created someone has written a book or encyclopedia about these events, insert a nonfiction-like segment (that doesn't give the important stuff away) as a change of pace. Try telling it as a poem, or a play (you can convert it to story form later).

Put this story aside, and start something else: letters, an article, a poem, a play, an art project. Look at the story in a day, or a week, or a couple of months. It may be fresh for you then; it may spark new ideas.

If you have an intelligent friend who's into the things you're writing about, talk it out with him/her.

Most important of all, know when it's time to quit. Sometimes you take an idea as far as it will go, then run out of steam.
Sooner or later you'll have a story which you can carry to a finish.

Also here are some ways to start stories (i'm not good at that at all)

Do your advance work: whatever research you might need. (You may end up doing more research as you get into your story, but at least do what you need to get started.)

Find out the time, place, and manner that makes you want to write the most: at a desk, in bed, with your younger siblings running around fighting over the TV remote; with a computer and keyboard, special pens, a certain kind of paper, a brand new notebook; if you can arrange your day, figure out what time is best for you; gather all you need to write (so you don't have to keep getting up to find things). If you have a ritual to get you in the right mind to write, do it (for example, fix tea, wash dishes, put on music), do the ritual, then place your behind on chair (or wherever you work).

Sometimes it's best to begin traditionally: "Once upon a time/Sing, Goddess, the wrath of Achilles/Let it be known that in the days" or "Chapter One: I am born."

Start with people meeting to talk: describe the setting, the first person there, then the second--try to introduce at least one main character

Some can write scenes from different points in the story, scenes which are easiest for them to imagine--they don't need to start at beginning, but fill in around the scenes they've already written (most of us have to start at the beginning)

Pick a point, any point, and start writing. If you've started the story too soon, or too late, you can always rewrite.

[Edited on 9/7/2004 by uniaeca]
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: July 09, 2004 11:09
A very big thing is confidence. If you doubt yourself and don't think you'll be able to come up with an idea then it's a lot more likely that you won't. I've had a bit of praise as a writer and while it does sometimes make me complacent it generally means that I have the confidence to just write whenever I feel like it and know that what I'm doing will turn out okay, if not better. Put up some of your work, even if it is unfinished, on a website where people give comments and criticism and see what they can say to help you with your style. If you get nothing but praise you must be doing something right so fold your doubt up in a little package and bury it, then get on with your writing.

Ask other people, because a fresh perspective can be invaluable when you're stuck in a rut. You'd be amazed at the ideas you get even from people who have no idea what you're writing. Choose a friend who doesn't know anything about fantasy and describe the story simply in terms of the characters. Ideas he or she comes up with will probably be based more around relationships than the action and might help you look at things in a new way. Ask another friend who is interested in fantasy and go into more detail about the actual events and the background to them. This friend will be more likely to help you with moving the story along. Lastly, combine what they both said to get a great story on two levels. Obviously this works with other genres too.

I mentioned the background to the events in the story. You do have a background, right? If you can't move the story out of the present, go back into the past. Something you've written already might give you an idea about how a character would react to the situation that's left you void of ideas, or something that happens way before the story either to a character or in the history of the events might suddenly spark your imagination. Always, always have a history to draw off, because it adds depth. It doesn't have to be hugely detailed in itself but just come up with a few basic explanations. Two countries are at war. Why? Over a woman (not every city can be Troy, try to avoid this situation because the chances are she's a hideous Mary-Sue), for money, for land, for power, because of differences of beliefs, because of a tribal fued dating back centuries, because the king of on country accidentally dropped his mead down the front of the king of the other country? The reasons will have an effect on the people doing the fighting: would you want to risk your life for the sake of a spilled drink?

Look for inspiration in the world around you. People have suggested music, other literature, meditation or asking God, nature, TV... I'll add watching the people around you, seeing if you can translate the interractions between them into something relevant to your characters. Look at history, in the real world or in the world of your story, because it really does churn up some incredible things you wouldn't have believed possible. Surf a site like Elfwood and look for inspiration from pictures, maybe you'll see a situation that would work really well in the context of your story.

If you've reached a point in the story where you don't know what to do next but you can still see the glittering jewel of the next chapter in site, tuck your notepad or document out of the way and go on to that. I used to force myself to plow on through the dull bits of the story, the preparation, the getting ready to go on the quest because I quite like that sort of thing, but I soon found that if I was going to keep on writing in that much detail about things like packing a bag then I could fill two paperbacks before they even left the little village. Tolkien got away with it, but how many of you can seriously say that you pay close attention to... well, most of the first half of FOTR, every time you read it? Modern readers generally like the story to be pushed along. Rather than writing a month's worth of baking marching rations, could you give the impression of what's happening in just a few short scenes, or even simply refer back to it from one of the more interesting bits? If you're finding a section of the story dull to write then it'll be dull to read. Carry on and miss it out, and then ask your beta reader if there's any bits of it that need a bit more detail.

Lastly, my single most valuable piece of advice: ask your characters. Starting to RP has taught me that the best way for me to work is not to try and write a story but to try and convey to readers what has happened to my characters. My definition of a good plot is one where it seems the characters already know exactly what is happening and I simply have to pick it out from the little clues they give me and write it down. If you have an idea but simply can't write it then check to see if that's what the characters would really do or if you're trying to force them to do something that doesn't feel right to them; they'll resist that fiercely and the chances are it'll reflect in your writing. If you don't have any ideas then watch your characters interacting for a while. Is one of them acting oddly, has the meek, shy girlish one suddenly cut her hair boyishly short, are two characters that normally do nothing but gaze into one anothers eyes suddenly arguing? Your characters will very often give you ideas in ways like this, and you ignore them at your peril. If they show you something that doesn't make sense then find a way to make it make sense and you'll often come up with a revelation either about the character or the plot in the process. If your characters don't come up with anything then you're looking in the wrong place. Something external happens to them that none of them are anticipating, so step back and broaden your mind and see if there's anything that might fit in. Don't ever say, 'I need an event that'll fill this gap in the timeline but essentially leave everything unchanged for the next event which is more important' because gap fillers like that are obvious to the reader. Be prepared to let whatever happens affect things in the future and it will, often in unexpected and interesting ways.
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
on: July 11, 2004 12:39
Great ideas here . Getting out in nature was mentioned, and I believe it to be true that creativity flows more when outdoors, especially when near a source of water. The negative ions in water help to counteract the positive ions (of which too much can cause some physical and emotional problems), that come from computers, other electronic equipment, and some seasonal winds, to name a few. Whereas, water has a relaxing and healing effect. I know it works for me - the ideas flow easier when I'm sitting by the ocean or a stream, or even inside during rainy weather. Having a water fountain in my study seems to help too.
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2004 04:58
Everyone has really good advice here. One thing that helps me to become more comfortable with writing, is to close my eyes and imagine I'm the character. What would he be feeling? Doing? How would the specific character react to what is happening? A character like Elrond would definately have different answers to questions like these than, say, one like Pippin.

Also, something else that I found helpful, is if you start by writing about something that happened to you. I'd start with thinking of a situation that you were once in, and seeing what would happen if your characters were in it instead of you. What would they do? This is also a good way to solve problems, I found out.

Another thing that I might suggest is to look for people. Ask close friends, family members, etc if they might have any ideas. Let them read over your work to try and help you. But don't forget to thank them!

~Silvan
uniaeca
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2004 07:33
What I have trouble with is starting a story, any advice there?
Gildor-Inglorion
Elvellon ar Pethdan
Send Message
on: July 23, 2004 04:53
I think the most important thing to determine first is why you are writing a story in the first place and what points you are trying to make. That will keep you focused and help prevent your story from becoming just a collection of events that don't mean anything.
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2004 05:24
I don't really have a tip for starting a story because that is my main problem when I write. I actually got an idea for a really cool story while I was washing the dishes...strange, I know. Just don't think too hard about it, wait until the idea comes to you. It might take a while, but it will be worth it.
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2004 11:43
One thing that I almost always do is carry a notebook around with me. That way, if I get an idea, I can scribble some notes down about it at almost anytime I want to or need to. If I don't, then it's a likelyhood that I'll forget within the following hour.

Gildor has a good point. Most stories have some sort of point, or moral to them, some idea that the author wishes to communicate to his or her readers. One thing that I find helpful is to take a quote or lyrics to a song and just write about them. It is a little exercise that one of my friends gave me. And it does help!

~Silvan
Ithileth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2004 06:33
writing a new story from square one can be tricky, but write about what you like because from there the creativity will come naturally. If you want to write a LOTR type thing listen to that type of music, not that exact sound track, but classical, and think of plots and senarios that the characters could be stuck in. Is there a love story? Is it an end of the world type thing? Pick a song that will go with it and build a scene on it, something you could watch in a movie. Think about it, music sells a scene, if you can visualise what is happening the music will let your mind go and you would be amazed at how much you can come up with! This works for me but I can visualise things like that well so do what you can that works for you.
elvenmaidofmirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2004 02:15
One thing that I almost always do is carry a notebook around with me. That way, if I get an idea, I can scribble some notes down about it at almost anytime I want to or need to. If I don't, then it's a likelyhood that I'll forget within the following hour.

Hey, that's what I always do!
luthienkenobi
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2004 05:34
What I do is just take a brreak from writing for a week. But the only time I really have writer's block is when I'm writing a battle scene. I can't really make those sound good. :cry:
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2004 11:44
A good way to get over writer's block is to write something really, really bad. Full of impossible situations, Mary Sues, bad grammar, foul language... in short, full of all the stuff you usually stop yourself from writing!
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
Anoria_Miriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2004 05:22
As other people have said, a good way to tackle writers block is to take a break. Stop for half an hour and do something you enjoy. Going for a walk is good, and even for those of us who can't get into the countryside that quickly, just go to the local park or something.
Nefhiriel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 21, 2004 09:29
I wasn't planning on saying anything, but what you said, pv, just got me thinking... I absolutely love your idea! I'm always getting writers' block (I'm having a rather hard time with it at the moment), and what you suggested sounds like it might work really well Especially writing a Mary Sue - I think we've all been tempted once or twice to write one Taking a break from writing something "realistic" might be the very thing I need

- Nefhiriel
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2004 11:13
Go ahead & have fun writing something bad - and you never know - you might come up with an idea that you can use in your good work!
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
Nefhiriel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 21, 2004 11:42
LOL, yes, I might get an idea. But you see, the problem for me is that I get to many ideas I have a positive hoard of rabid plot bunnies chasing me Anyways, it still might help just to "loosen up" a little with my writing by writing something fun.

Thanks for the great idea!

- Nefhiriel
Alarien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2005 08:18
Writer's block...*shivers* Thanks to everyone who suggested a solution to it. I've been needing that...These are rather good suggestions...Thankies again!
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2005 08:34
~See if there's a certain time of day (or night) or place that inspires you. I like to write best late at night, in my room with a certain lighting. The little things can make a difference; if they're not there, you might choke.

Well, what I've been doing lately is writing down ideas that go through my head in the middle of the night when I can't sleep. It's been working well -- in the past two nights I've composed a free-verse poem (which I posted here yesterday) and a fanfic outline. What works best for you guys?
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email