Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post Section Update: Books vs. Movies
on: June 07, 2004 02:58
Yes, you guessed it! There's a new section under Film, Fun & Facts and you can find it here. Books vs. Movies does just what it claims to do: it compares movie sequences and characters to book (chapters). There's also a list of Bookie Details and Borrowed Lines under From Page to Screen.

Every article has room for Viewpoints from all the members, and you can comment on eachother's opinions as well. We wanted a place here where we can store all that knowledge and insight in the (effects of) changes from book to movie, that's so brilliantly expressed (at times ) here in the forums.

So please take a look, and let us know what your sentiments are!

I'll be posting here for updates, as well as to ask help. If you have any problems, suggestions etcetera about this section, feel free to post them here.

[Edited on 11/10/2004 by Figwit]

[Edited on 28/7/2005 by Figwit]
Nan
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Section Update: Books vs. Movies
on: June 07, 2004 04:19
This section is amazing! Everything all laid out neat and clear. So much detail! Links to everything about each subject, wow! And pictures ooh! I can't even imagine the work that went into this. Thank you Figwit and all the others who researched, wrote, and put this section together!:heart:
Can't wait to see the rest but what is already up will keep me busy for a while.
Legolisa_
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 07:23
Wow! This section is really detailed! One could learn a lot about Middle Earth by reading this section.

I have one question though, it said that Cirdan had a beard. I thought that Elves don't have facial hair? --maybe I should ask this in the Discuss the books section--
Nyérëven
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 07:42
It's a long long long work, so if you're getting impatient and you've got nothing else to do, you're always free to ask me if you can help

I've got nothing else to do. *waves* If you need any help, just give me a holler! I think you guys are doing great! I read through it the other day and was amazed. Like Nan said- it was so detailed and complete!! I really enjoyed this new section!

*gives Figwit and everyone else who helped a standing ovation*
Figwit
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 08:53
Legolsa_: that's why we noticed Círdan doesn't have a beard, he's the only one (or practically the only one) Tolkien describes as having any kind of facial hair. But as to why, maybe you should ask that in the Book Forum .

Thanks for the compliments guys, it's nice to see people enjoy it.

And Nyérëven, expect to hear from me next week or so
Nan
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 10:04
I'd like to suggest that the drawings/paintings that are on the page have some reference to the artist. It gives the proper credit and that way if I like something I can go look for more pictures by the same artist.

I was wondering: should all comments be subbmited in the alternate veiwpoints? I mean, it may not be alternate veiwpoint, just adding somthing to what has been said.

BTW: I think a link to the Books vs. Movies section is missing on the "Film Fun & Facts" page. There is a link in the "mouse over" menu.

Thank you!!!!
Figwit
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 12:38
I'd like to suggest that the drawings/paintings that are on the page have some reference to the artist. It gives the proper credit and that way if I like something I can go look for more pictures by the same artist.

Well, in the bottom section (Links) there's always a list of illustrations that belong with that particular chapter or character, and the illustrations you see are always listed below as well. But I'll look into either linking from the pic to the gallery, or adding a reference. Thanks for the suggestion.

I was wondering: should all comments be submited in the alternate veiwpoints? I mean, it may not be alternate veiwpoint, just adding somthing to what has been said.

Well, if you want to add something to the article, you'll have to do it through the viewpoint. Even a correction (one was already made about the Treason of Isengard article) goes along those lines, and they are more than welcome. You can comment on Viewpoints too, if you like.
But the viewpoint asks your opinion on the changes, so if it is that a change isn't a mistake or whatever, you have the moral obligation to say so, lol !

BTW: I think a link to the Books vs. Movies section is missing on the "Film Fun & Facts" page. There is a link in the "mouse over" menu.

Glad you noticed! Our Fearless Leader Rivka has already been told...
Nan
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2004 09:14
Wow! The more I read the more I like it, and I liked it a lot in the first place! Keep up the good work! (Like units 1.10 and 1.11 , hint hint )

Btw: there is still no link on this page http://www.councilofelrond.com/film.php

A big thank you for the enormous amount of work that has gone into this!

Figwit
Send Message
on: July 02, 2004 06:19
Lol, those units are coming up ! And for the new articles I mentioned the name of the artist under the illustrations I used - hope you like it!

There's been a small update, so I thought I'd draw attention to the new articles about Frodo, Merry, Pippin, Sam and Gandalf in the FOTR Characters Analysis section, and a great article about Isengard.
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 01, 2004 01:34
This is really, really great! One suggestion: The title, "Books vs. Movies". It sounds as if you're comparing the books and the movies and seeing which is better, or setting them against each other. I can't think of a better title off the top of my head, but using "From Page to Screen" as an overall title would be better, imho.
Figwit
Send Message
on: August 03, 2004 10:43
LOL, couldn't you have said that a year ago No, I know what you mean, but it was our working title and no one ever could come up with a better one, so we kept it. It does look a bit 'confronting', but that's really what we're doing so... But thank you for the suggestion, and I'm glad you like it.

On another note, hopefully we can start finishing FOTR next week... and then move to TTT!
Figwit
Send Message
on: August 24, 2004 09:34
Well, I am proud to say that Fellowship of the Ring is finally complete (well, almost ). Latest new additions are:
- 1.10. Strider
- 1.11. A Knife in the Dark
- 2.05. The Khazad-dûm
- 2.06. Lothlórien
- 2.08. Farewell to Lórien

Please feel free to post your comments on the scene under Submit Viewpoint! We'd really like to hear all the members and all their opinions, so this section can become the largest comparison between books and movies.
Figwit
Send Message
on: August 30, 2004 11:53
And.... Fellowship of the Ring is FINISHED .

The last three additions are Legolas, Saruman and Mistakes of FOTR.
nienna_the_weeper
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2004 05:22
Yay! Have only checked out the mistakes just now & it's very good! The whole thing is so good and I haven't worked my way through it all yet but what I have seen is very good!
Figwit
Send Message
on: October 11, 2004 07:57
The BvM has been expanded with a sparkly new section for The Two Towers, which you can visit here.

A big thanks to everyone who contributed so far, or is still writing. The new articles are rrrrrrreeeeeeeeallllllllly good, so go check them out!

[Edited on 12/10/2004 by Figwit]
Frodos_Cat
Resident Feline of Bag End
Send Message
on: October 12, 2004 12:17
I have been reading through a great deal of this section during the last few days...it's fantastic! I'm very impressed with the amount of effort and detail that has been put into it.

I don't know how you're set for writers, but if you need anyone else who has spent far too much time comparing the books and films, and who has not had enough of an outlet for their comparisons, feel free to contact me. I would love to do some writing for this section if you are still looking for people to do so.
Figwit
Send Message
on: May 29, 2005 02:14
Yes! The sun is shining, my arms are burnt and I finally managed to start on............ tum tum tum.............. The ROTK Sections! You can find the new section here.

It already contains the following articles:
- 3.08. The Road to Isengard by Rosearialelven
- 5.01. Minas Tirith by Morwinyoniel
- 5.02.*c. The Paths of the Dead by atalante_star

- 4.08. The Stairs of Cirith Ungol by RubySandybanks
- 6.01. The Tower of Cirith Ungol by Morwinyoniel
- 6.09. The Grey Havens by atalante_star

In the TTT Section, there's also an article about Faramir by AinarielPalantir

Updates!

- 5.05. The Ride of the Rohirrim by Rosearialelven

- 5.06. The Battle of the Pelennor Fields by elenluin

- Sam by Rosearialelven

[Edited on 5/6/2005 by Figwit]

On 7/6: 5.01.a. The Beacons of Gondor by atalante_star

[Edited on 7/6/2005 by Figwit]
Figwit
Send Message
on: July 17, 2005 07:49
And a couple of new ones:

- TTT Bookie Details: a list of those little things from the books you may have overlooked, and some little 'inside' jokes and references...
(As always, if you have any suggestions to include, feel free to pm me.)

- 6.03. Mount Doom,
a very recommendable read: a very long and amazingly detailed article by RubySandybanks

- Aragorn in 'The Two Towers'
Figwit
Send Message
on: July 28, 2005 12:32
New updates:
- 5.04. The Siege of Gondor by Ingold

- 5.06. The Battle of the Pelennor Fields by Ingold

- 6.05. The Steward and the King by elvishmusician

- 5.02.*b. Arwen's Vision / The Re-forging of Narsil

- Arwen in ROTK

[Edited on 28/7/2005 by Figwit]
Figwit
Send Message
on: August 10, 2005 01:08
- Frodo in TTT by AinarielPalantir
Figwit
Send Message
on: October 22, 2005 05:00
- 3.09. Flotsam & Jetsam by AinarielPalantir

- 4.02. The Passage of the Marshes by AinarielPalantir

[Edited on 23/10/2005 by Figwit]

- Frodo in ROTK by AinarielPalantir

[Edited on 26/10/2005 by Figwit]
Figwit
Send Message
on: November 05, 2005 03:19
Éowyn in ROTK by...... Figwit!

and

3.11. The Palantír

[Edited on 5/11/2005 by Figwit]
Figwit
Send Message
on: January 06, 2006 05:36
6.06. Many Partings by Rosarialelven
Figwit
Send Message
on: July 10, 2006 03:13
It's been a while, but thanks to the lovely AinarielPalantir, there's a new article, on Éomer in ROTK this time! Well worth the read!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email