Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the Week- June 14th 2004 (5.III. The Muster of Rohan)
on: June 14, 2004 02:53
this quote will seem familiar and very similar to a previous
Théoden - speaking to Eomer
'Nay, my son, for so I will call you, speak not the soft words of Wormtongue in my old ears!' He drew himself up and looked back at the long line of hid men fading into the dusk behind."Long years in the spce of days it seems since I rode west; but never will I lean on a staff again. If the war is lost, what good will be my hiding in the hills? And if it is won, what grief will it be, even if I fall, spending my last strength?...
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the Week- June 14th 2004 (5.III. The Muster of Rohan)
on: June 14, 2004 10:41
Yes, indeed. It reminds me of what he says to Aragorn in Helm's Deep. But I think Éomer will understand it better than Aragorn did.

I also love how he refers to Gríma again, you can see how heavily it weighs on him. He refuses to be treated like an old man again.
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2004 03:05
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Nay, my son, for so I will call you, speak not the soft words of Wormtongue in my old ears!' He drew himself up and looked back at the long line of hid men fading into the dusk behind."Long years in the spce of days it seems since I rode west; but never will I lean on a staff again. If the war is lost, what good will be my hiding in the hills? And if it is won, what grief will it be, even if I fall, spending my last strength?...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel that Theoden knows he is going to die or that there is every possibility of so doing.. He is sorry for the way he treated Eomer and is making reparation by calling him his 'son'. He is telling Eomer that his words will be wasted if he tries to persuade him to stay in Harrowdale. He won't be lulled as he was by Grima.

If he's going to die, he's going to die in battle, whatever the outcome. A warrior's death, leading his troops, fighting for his beliefs and to save Middle-Earth.
Figwit
Send Message
on: June 15, 2004 07:57
Yes, Rosearialelven, I noticed that Théoden calls Éomer 'son' and 'Éowyn' daughter (in stead of 'sisterson' in TT). I think it may indeed be an attempt to make amends, but I personally thought it was more like maybe an introduction to the thought of them becoming his heirs after his son's death?
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: June 15, 2004 08:12
Actually, I was thinking that it reminded me of Eowyn's comments about staying home rather than going to battle,, but from a different perspective.
Both he and Eowyn have their own reason's for not wishing to stay home, but , as King, Theoden gets to do as he desires.
I also included him referring to Eomer as son to show his acceptance of Eomer as his heir.
Figwit
Send Message
on: June 15, 2004 10:31
Oh, lol, yes! I hadn't thought of that. Actually, now you mention it, they both have that 'immortality' thing going, don't they? I think it's typical for the Rohirrim, but I haven't noticed it in Éomer (yet ).
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: June 16, 2004 12:37
What a surprise I suddenly turn back up in the Book Club when Theoden quotes appear

This, I think, as well as the stuff every one else has said, goes very much back to the Rohirric idea of fate. That whatever Theoden does now, he faces death, and most likely will not to survive. And in that situation, he chooses to face the enemy, to go forward, to aid his allies and friends, to safeguard his kingdom, instead of running back to hide in the hills - and try and defy his fate, maybe avoiding his death for a short time, and not dying in glory and honour.

Tolkien's use of words also suggests sorrow and mourning to me - the dusk, riding west, grief, last strength.

Isn't Theoden wonderful? *sigh*

[Edited on 16/6/2004 by atalante_star]
Figwit
Send Message
on: June 16, 2004 02:11
Oh yes, what a surprise You missed some great discussion already though, love! Should be less picky about Théoden / Fëanor having to be included .

Yes, the Rohirric idea of fate is what I thought if when I read this quote too, that's why I immediately thought of the badger-quote, and not - like PbHf - of what Éowyn said. But then again, I'm a little obsessed
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: June 16, 2004 02:42
Oh yes, what a surprise You missed some great discussion already though, love! Should be less picky about Théoden / Fëanor having to be included .

I know I know But now the Tolkien biog is done, I've suddenly got a lot more time to come and hang out here
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email