Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the Week- June 28th 2004 (5.V!. The Battle of The Pelennor Fields)
on: June 28, 2004 01:56
This time - a song that reminds us of the costs of war
We heard of the horns in the hills ringing,
the swords shining in the South-kingdom.
Steeds went striding to the Stoningland
as wind in the morning. War was kindled.
There Théoden fell, Thengling mighty,
to his golden halls and green pastures
in the Northern fields never returning,
high lord of the host. Harding and Guthláf,
Dúnhere and Déorwine, doughty Grimbold,
Herefara and Herubrand, Horn and Fastred,
fought and fell there in a far country:
in the Mounds of Mundburg under mould they lie
with their league-fellows, lords of Gondor.
Neither Hirluin the Fair to the hills by the sea,
nor Forlong the old to the flowering vales
ever, to Arnach, to his own country
returned in triumph; nor the tall bowmen,
Derufin and Duilin, to their dark waters,
meres of Morthond under mountain-shadows.
Death in the morning and at day’s ending
lords took and lowly. Long now they sleep
under grass in Gondor by the Great River.
Grey now as tears, gleaming silver,
red then it rolled, roaring water:
foam dyed with blood flamed at sunset;
as beacons mountains burned at evening;
red fell the dew in Rammas Echor.

Almost all of the leaders of the forces assembled for the fighting on the Pelennor fields didn't survive the battle.
In modern warfare, the leaders stay far behind the battle and are seldom at risk. in this battle, the leaders actually lead their forces and suffered greatly because of that.

[Edited on 29/6/2004 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the Week- June 28th 2004 (5.V!. The Battle of The Pelennor Fields)
on: June 28, 2004 11:25
I love that poem, in fact, the whole chapter because of the very real feel of desperation and loss that runs through it. I like that Tolkien never pretends his heroes are also heroic in battle, that he chooses to remain realistic. Not one Mûmak is felled in the book! That's something to think about.
legolasfan27
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the Week- June 28th 2004 (5.V!. The Battle of The Pelennor Fields)
on: June 29, 2004 01:08
There's something about that poem, isn't there? To be a leader means you actually go out there before the troops, bleed with them and die with them and they're not just numbers in a report.

That poem reminds me of a line from a favourite poem by John Donne which says that "grief brought to numbers cannot be so fierce"...Tolkien doesn't tell us numbers...he tells us people's names and where they came from and what they might have been fighting to defend. So we mourn them as they deserve and we are fully conscious of the real cost of war.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: June 30, 2004 09:44
I quite agree! Real war kills real people, with homes and families and people they leave behind - not 1.000 this and 300 that...
RubySandybanks
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 06, 2004 08:21
Very sad poem.

The leaders in the days of old were so heroic! I think it's a great idea for the leaders to be as one of the men. Can you imagine today's leaders being on the front lines? What an inspiration that would be. They tend to be so far detached from the reality of war and the experiences of their men. On the other hand, someone always has to give the orders.

Tolkien's type of warfare (as with the wars of the past) is so up front and personal. This type of warfare is rare today.Only urban door-to-door combat is anything like it (meaning in your face fighting) Otherwise a bomb can be dropped that can kill thousands and the person dropping the bomb may never have to see the consequences of his or her actions. Ditto with rocket propelled grenades, etc. He or she may go through their lives not giving the results a second thought. It was just another day on the job. It's often so clinical.

Yes, I like it too that Tolkien uses names. I definitely agree with the power of names. A reminder. A warning.

The imagery is so haunting:

Grey now as tears, gleaming silver,
red then it rolled, roaring water:
foam dyed with blood flamed at sunset;
as beacons mountains burned at evening;
red fell the dew in Rammas Echor.

This poem just gives me the shivers.
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2004 11:23
Very moving poem.

The futility of loss of life, but necessary for freedom. Countless lives lost in countless battles.

For Leaders to lead is inspiring. William Wallace, Henry V, Joan of Arc, to name only a few who were up there with their troops, going on into the mouth of death. I'm sure there were Officers who went with their men 'over the top' in World War I.

Tolkien's naming names makes it touch the readers by making them aware that these were husbands, sons, brothers, fathers. As in all wars.

"At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them, we will remember them"

[Edited on 15/7/2004 by Rosearialelven]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email