Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the week- July 26th/04(5.X. The Black Gate Opens)
on: July 26, 2004 04:27
Aragorn; speaking to the men that were incapable of proceeding past the end of the living lands
'Go!" said Aragorn. 'But keep what honour you may, and do not run! And there is a task which you may attemptand so be not fully shamed. Take your way south-west till you come to Cair Andros, and if it is still held by enemies, as I think, then re-take it, if you can; and hold it to the last in defence of Gondor and Rohan!'

Aragorn shows just what kind of a King he will be by understanding what assails his people and by finding a way to turn a negative into a positive
RubySandybanks
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the week- July 26th/04(5.X. The Black Gate Opens)
on: July 26, 2004 05:44
I agree with you totally PbHf.

This is Aragorn at his best. If this perceptiveness is a foreshadowing of Aragorn as King of Gondor, Gondor will have a bright future. This is a most humbling of situations for the young soldiers. He not only gives them understanding, he allows them to save face by making a valuable contribution to the war effort without further adding to their shame.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: July 28, 2004 08:42
This part also reminded me of what Aragorn said to Éowyn, about having to hold the fortress if Gondor should fail. War is not made up entirely out of great battles, on the contrary. Maybe this reflects Tolkien's own experience during the war?
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2004 03:26
If I might jump on your Bandwagon Ruby, that's about what I would have said. I was reading the quote and thought that Aragorn, being Aragorn, was allowing those men to have a last chance of pride, without giving them handouts. :love:
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email