Register

Author Topic:
presage
Council Member
Send Message
Post SWORDS: United Cutlery v. Noble Collection
on: July 29, 2004 10:11
Hi all,

Just thought I'd start a discussion on the full-scale replica swords. I haven't found this specific topic in the forum.

We just started collecting the swords. Our first is UC's Glamdring. It's a terrific sword!

What are your thoughts on the UC swords versus the Noble Collection swords?

We purchased UC's Glamdring before we saw the small Noble Collection catalog in the ROTK DVD. I hope we're collecting the "best" by going with UC.

Any thoughts/comments?

Thanks,

presage

atreides1
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: SWORDS: United Cutlery v. Noble Collection
on: July 31, 2004 04:51
I personally prefer the UC models myself, I was able to get Arwen's sword for $185 and that included shipping, and the
Elven Dagger of Aragorn for $180 including shipping.

You also might wamt to check out the site at New Line Cinema they have some of the same items as the Noble Collection and the prices are more affordable.

Here's another site where you can purchase LOTR swords.
www.lotrfanshop.com

There are other distributors for the swords made by UC, and if you shop around you'll be able to the swords for up to half of what it costs to buy it from the Noble Collection.
presage
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2004 08:39
Thanks atreides1 for the information and your opinion.

We have found a good source on the 'net for UC as well. We got Glamdring for $177 after doing a lot of shopping around.

presage

MirkwoodsArcher
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 08, 2004 04:51
I have'nt seen the noble versions, how long have they been making them ?
snafu36
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2004 10:46
My experience of the Noble Collection leads me to say 'buyer beware'. They make big claims for what are IMO poorly made, inaccurate, and over-priced items.

Just because they say they make 'exact replicas' doesn't make it true. Just look at their laughable 'One Ring'. In fact look at any of the rings.

[Edited on 20/8/2004 by snafu36]
presage
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2004 11:29
Thanks Snafu for your response...

I'm feeling better about going with UC for swords. In fact, we just ordered the UC Sword of the Witchking. Anyone else have this one yet? I'll let you know how it looks.

Regarding "The One Ring" -- My sister got the 14K official NC version some time ago, and while it was a gift I think she was disappointed (or at least a bit surprised). It is very thin -- not what we were expecting at all! I think we had this vision of it having some weight and thickness to it -- perhaps not as much as when Bilbo "releases" it at his doorway and it falls with a "thud", but much more substantial than it is. I haven't checked, but I would guess that this topic is being discussed in a "Ring" forum.

presage
snafu36
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2004 12:27
I expect this is mentioned elsewhere, so I will keep it short.

I have tried a lot of 'One Ring' replicas, all sadly lacking. But then I found the following link:-

https://www.jenshansen.com

They made the actual film ring. They produce handmade replicas (from a single ingot) that exactly match the film ring.

Each one has about twice as much gold as the other replicas and are a pleasure to hold and own, and at a very good price.

There are a lot of attractive items out there that are nice as individual objects, but when I buy an 'exact replica' that is what I expect, and I don't like to be ripped off for it. There are also a lot of poorly made items at premium prices.

I love the look of the UC swords, and (if you get the right site) they are a fair price, but don't swing them around

Sorry, not as short as I had hoped.

presage
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2004 01:17
Hi Snafu,

Don't swing them around!!!??? You're no fun! LOL

I found a great source for the UC swords in the US -- only $182.00 for Glamdring (which we already have -- it's great) and $182.00 for the Witchking Sword (which I've just ordered). The price includes shipping and insurance.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Ring -- I'll check it out.

presage
snafu36
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2004 09:16
That's a good price. The UC swords are very well finished.

The best I have seen in the UK is the UC Ranger Sword for £160, but you are more likely to pay £290, which is way over the top when you can get a hand-forged carbon steel battle-ready sword for £135.
presage
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2004 01:21
Hi Snafu,

I think my source for UC swords ships internationally. If you want the info, let me know.

presage
snafu36
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2004 09:08
I certainly would. I am always happy to find ways of preventng bankruptcy.

Cheers.
presage
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 23, 2004 10:21
Snafu,

Check your PM's for the info.

presage
snafu36
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2004 10:12
Many thanks.
Glamdring
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2004 07:43
I found a site that had the UC Glamdring for around $180 US. I also got a 10% discount because it was my first buy from the site. With shipping it was around $200 US, which I though was good compared with the $500 ones I saw in local stores. You might want to check out the site, it's called

http://www.5stardeal.com

and why shouldn't we swing the swords? I've had great fun swinging my Glamdring around.
presage
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2004 07:30
We've now added the Witchking's sword and Theoden's sword to our collection -- both from UC. They really are fantastic. I can't believe how much Theoden's sword weighs -- which makes it a bit more difficult to swing around!

I think Sting is next....

presage

[Edited on 14/9/2004 by presage]
Sailasiro
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 05, 2004 07:31
I recently received Anduril from UC. I love it. I was also was looking into Noble from the pamphlet in the DVD. The idea of Spanish steel was almost enough to make me order from there. :drool: However, when looking at the price, and the fact that they Anduril spot said "coming soon", I sat back. I found the UC site and was thrilled to see I could get the sword now, and pay half with no shipping or tax. I do like the hanger on Noble better, but heck...now I can afford to get Narsil....Striders sword....Hadafang...Gandalfs sword...
Anduril is my Christmas present!! I feel like Gollum when he finally got the Ring back!! :disco:
Sailasiro
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 05, 2004 07:38
One more thing about UC. I did wind up having to email them 3 times to find out the status of the shipment. They never bothered to respond, and I tried calling 3 times and could never get an answer. Lucky for me Anduril showed up soon after the third email. It was ordered and shipped (?) on the 19th of November, I got it Dec 3rd. Maybe they were busy, maybe their customer guy was ill... I still am a bit miffed.
presage
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2004 09:02
I have not ordered directly from UC -- sorry you had problems Sail. I hope you got a great price.

I've found that if you wait a bit, the prices do come down unless it's a limited edition (which I can't afford anyway -- LOL).

Since I started with UC as opposed to Noble, I'm going to stick with them. My wish list keeps growing much faster than my wallet, especially since scabbards are now available on many of the weapons.

I have read that you shouldn't keep a sword/knife in its scabbard due to condensation. What is everyone doing with their scabbards?

presage
Sailasiro
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 06, 2004 07:05
I paid $174.50 with no shipping and no taxes. I saw that the scabbards were out... The more I think about it the more I am not sure if I actually want one. Part of the thrill of the swords is seeing the blade and the writing on them. I have no intention of hunting orcs, so no scabbard is really needed.

[Edited on 29/12/2004 by Sailasiro]
orthanc5
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 29, 2004 05:07
I just want a sword that looks pretty to hang on the wall, and I thought Glamdring looked the best. Which site makes it "prettier" and if neither do, which should I buy from?
Sailasiro
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 29, 2004 01:38
When I order again, I will get another UC, but maybe from a different site. I liked Anduril, so why "fix what ain't broke"? I think Glamdring is cool, Hadafang will look really cool on the wall as well. I think most folks like their weapons from UC... And if you are not happy with the quality, you can always send it back. This is what I call a major purchase, one that will be around for a while. You might as well be 100% satisfied!
orthanc5
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 02, 2005 03:44
Yes, I'd call it a major purchase too, thanks for telling me they let you send it back.
Charmander
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2005 08:16
I have to whole-heartedly agree with Snafu36 about the Noble Collection. I have a friend who bought the Anduril and was so disappionted with it I got the UC limited version on e-bay last year an it is so awesome! I also got the Sauron Helm and it is amazing ! You will not be disappointed with UC!!
Elven_Light
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2005 06:41
My experience of the Noble Collection leads me to say 'buyer beware'. They make big claims for what are IMO poorly made, inaccurate, and over-priced items.

Just because they say they make 'exact replicas' doesn't make it true. Just look at their laughable 'One Ring'. In fact look at any of the rings.

Well i haven't got any swords from anywhere buttt i must say..

Snafu, your post had me worried because when i read it i was waiting for my order of my one ring from noblecollection. Well just to tell you i had the silver one ring and its so beautiful the picture doesn't give it full credit. Though i'm not sure how the swords from noblecollection would turn out
snafu36
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2005 04:33
I am not arguing as to whether or not an individual likes his/her ring, I was commenting on the accuracy and value for money.

Compare a Jens Hansen 'One Ring' (they designed and made them for all three films) and you will see that the Noble Collection ring bears no resemblence to the original.

The film design uses about twice as much gold, has a totally different rounded 'D' shape, and is better value for money.

And as it is made by the same goldsmiths as the film rings you couldn't have something much more authentic.

If the Noble Collection was selling budget 'near' relplicas I wouldn't mind, but the fact that their stuff is so expensive seems to be just ripping off the fans.
Razorsharp
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2005 08:49
Im a UC sword fan for sure, I have a few of the swords hehe

Hadhafang, Uruk Hai Scimitar, Witchking, Ranger sword and Scabbard, Glamdring, Limited Edition Anduril #912/5000, Sting and Scabbard, Shards of Narsil #4425/5000

Legolas's Fighting Knives and Scabbards, Elven Knife and Scabbard

Elendils Helm #95/5000

Staff of Gandalf the White, Staff of Saruman

Ive seen the Noble site but didnt like their swords, living in NZ it certainly cost a fortune to ship all this lot here then I found A NZ site that sells them for alot less oh well I can still expand upon this collection without it costing the earth to ship it hehe
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email