Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Frodos_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post Dr. Octopus fans?
on: July 30, 2004 04:53
Just wondering if there are any other Doc Ock freaks like me. I personally thought they did an *awesome* job on him in Spider-Man 2, and Alfred Molina's performance was two thumbs up.
MaddyLakeDeep
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Dr. Octopus fans?
on: July 31, 2004 08:51
I'm a huge Doc Ock fan! I hoped he would be portrayed well in Spidey 2 and when I saw it, I was so impressed! I agree, awesome job!!! And then what made it even better was Alfred Molina's performance. Yeah, you can have great visual effects along with the puppeteering of Ock's tentacles, but the actor has to be believable in the role...and Molina is very believable as Ock. Now I can't see anyone else as Ock. Only Molina! What are your favorite scenes with Ock? Any favorite quotes?
Frodos_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 31, 2004 05:44
Oh, wow...I love all the scenes with Ock. But my favorite quotes would be "Butterfingers!" after he drops Aunt May, which was *hilarious*, and when all the people on the train were like "You'll have to go through me!" and he shrugs and goes, "Very well." Or when he says, "I will not die a monster!" I thought that was so sad and heroic.
My favorite scene would probably be when he kidnaps MJ, or when he "bargains" with Harry, since I love his attitude during those scenes.
MaddyLakeDeep
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2004 08:44
LOL..."Butterfingers!" I love that quote, too.
"I will not die a monster!' is another one that I like. You're right, I also thought it was sad and heroic. At first I thought, is it silly for me to feel sad for Ock when he died at the end? You know, because he's a villian. But that's how I felt. Also, I wonder if he really died at the end. I know in the comics he died but then there was one Spidey comic I read recently when there was an explosion and he ended up in the ocean. Then what happened was, his tentacles helped him back to the shore. What I'm saying is I hope maybe they bring him back if they make several sequels. And in Spidey 2, you figure that can happen like what I just mentioned about the comics. He's just such an awesome villian. I liked the Green Goblin (GG) too but I like Ock better.

My favorite Ock scenes are those you mentioned. I also like the fight scene with Ock and Spidey on top of the train. The scene when he was having a discussion with the tentacles and they persuaded him to rebuild the experiment he was working on and to rob the bank. That was creepy, the way the tentacles were interacting with him. Even the hospital scene was creepy and was kind of like what really happened in the comics.

Another favorite Ock quote is when he says..."The power of the sun, in the palm of my hand"

Oh, and I just realized you have one of his quotes in your siggy.
Frodos_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 01, 2004 05:17
I'm also hoping that he'll end up being okay...come on, he's one of the best villains in there! (well, in my opinion, he is the best) Or maybe he does die, but gets resurrected, like in the comics.

I also loved when he told the joke before the demonstration...I felt so bad when no one in the theater laughed! Except for me, of course; I thought it was funny.
Inuyashachibi
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2004 07:21
my sis pities him
MaddyLakeDeep
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2004 01:38
So far from what I've heard, the most likely villians in Spidey 3 will be Harry as GG2 and possibly Curt Conners as the Lizard. I have a feeling if they make more sequels (which is only a rumor right now) they just may bring Ock back. I hope!!! Because I think he's the best too!

Oh, the joke...LOL...yeah that was funny
Frodos_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 02, 2004 04:25
Oh, I'm hoping Harry won't be the villain yet...personally, I hate the GG (no offense). The Lizard would be cool...or even Venom.

I forgot to mention last time that I thought the hospital scene was awesome. The second time I saw it, I was actually laughing; that one doctor deserved to be killed for that lame joke of his. J/k.
MaddyLakeDeep
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2004 07:19
I was shocked the way they ended it with Harry, giving you a clue that he will be the next GG2. And especially when I saw his green bow tie. I'm like, oh no, another GG? I'm not a big GG fan either, though I admit Willem Dafoe did a great job in the role. I don't know, maybe Sam Raimi will fool us and Harry won't be GG2 but I have a feeling he will. Yeah, the Lizard and Venom would be cool!

The doctor in the hospital scene...lol...I know what you mean. Also, I think maybe it had to do with Raimi's spoof of horror films since he directed several of them.

Here's one of my favorite pics of Ock...

Frodos_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 03, 2004 04:22
I love that pic! It used to be my desktop every day, but now it's one of Ock at the bank.

Harry had a green bow tie? Huh...didn't notice. That can't be good. Since I might see it again Friday, I'll have to look for that.

But I'm hoping that Raimi's just fooling us, like you said. Another possibility would be John Jameson as the Man-Wolf, since he was also introduced in this film. But the Black Cat would also be a good character to bring in; I've always thought she was awesome.

Of course, Doc Ock could kick both of their butts no problem...
MaddyLakeDeep
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2004 08:12
The pic of Ock at the bank, is he inside or outside the bank? I have one where he's standing outside. I'm just wondering if that's the one you're talking about.

Yep, Harry's bow tie was green. I didn't notice it either when I saw it the first time. Someone told me and I said, really? I don't remember seeing it. So when I saw it again, this time I made sure to look for it. Then I knew, uh-oh, well it's no secret as to who the next villian will be, which I still think Raimi should have left us wondering who it could be because now it's no surprise--except you wonder if the second villian will be Lizard, Venom, etc. Hey, Man-Wolf! It's possible Raimi will include him...and Black Cat!!! She's one of my favorites. If she was in the movie, that would be a very interesting conflict between her, Peter and MJ.

I plan on seeing it again too! This time in IMAX since everyone is saying how awesome it is in IMAX. Also, on the Spidey forum (that's where I hear all this stuff like Harry's bow tie was green, etc) someone said maybe Ock will come back and team up with Spidey. Hmm...what do you think about that?

Talk to ya later!

Maddy
Frodos_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 04, 2004 04:44
In the pic, Ock's outside the bank; he's beside a taxi.

Wow, Spidey would be *awesome* to see in IMAX! I'll have to see if it's playing around here in one...

It would rule if Ock got to team up with Spider-Man. Then again, it would probably end up in a twist where both of them combined still wouldn't be strong enough to defeat the villain; know what I mean? Ock would suddenly be a lot less formidable than he is as a bad guy; kind of like when he and Spidey went up against Hammerhead together.

Still, it would be very interesting to see, since they would beat the villain in the end, anyway....but then they might take the chance to really kill Ock off. Then I'll be sad.

MaddyLakeDeep
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2004 01:27
Ok, I had a feeling it was that pic. That's one of my favorites!
Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing spidey in IMAX. I hope you can see it too. I wished I could have seen LotR in IMAX. That must have been really awesome!

I know what you mean if Ock and Spidey teamed up. Oh yeah, I remember that one with Spidey, Ock and Hammerhead! It definitely would be interesting if they teamed up in the movie, well if they do spidey 4. Also, when I started reading spidey comics, I didn't know there were so many villians! Also, there was one I read where Ock wants to marry Aunt May because of money she inherited? (trying to remember if that's correct). I thought, Ock and Aunt May???

Here's some more Doc Ock pics I have that I really like. These are pics of when he's inside the train

Frodos_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 05, 2004 06:37
Hehe! I love that grin of his in that pic! It's so sarcastic yet subtle with a hint of evil madness...

I was also shocked when I first found out that he tried to marry Aunt May; then I got over my shock and thought "The little conniving genius!" LOL. Yeah, as part of an inheritance, she received "the world's most sophisticated breeding regenerator" or something.
That would be so funny if Peter ended up with Ock as his uncle...haha.

And I read something on Aunt May recently where it said that she still sees Spider-Man as a menace, and Dr. Octavius as a polite gentleman. LOL.

Hopefully I'll be able to see S-M 2 tomorrow...then I can grin evilly (as I always do) at Ock's salute and "You've got a train to catch!"
Neniel_Andunië
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2004 08:30
I don't think Harry will be GG2. Then again, I don't read comics, so I'm not sure about anything. But it seemed to me more like Harry finally found out who his father really was. If he went evil, it would be because he wants to prove himself to his father. I love that scene at the end with the mirror....

I also thought it was pretty obvious that Ock didn't die a villain. He mastered the arms and gave up his own life to save the city.
Personally I almost cried when he said "My Rosie's dead... my dream is dead... etc."

I wish they would just leave it at this! Why make a sequel?

~Nen~
Frodos_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 06, 2004 04:40
I know! It was so sad when he was upset about his wife. Poor guy. :cry:

Well, as long as they can make money off it, they'll make as many sequels as they can. Besides, thousands of fans have already started demanding for the next one, so it's gotta be tempting.
MaddyLakeDeep
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2004 07:41
OMG...imagine if Ock became Peter's uncle...
And because I just started reading the comics, there are some things I'm not familiar with like...why does Aunt May think Spidey is a menace?

"You've got a train to catch" Hehe...that's another one of my favorite Ock quotes.

Hopefully you'll see Spidey 2 again. I'm kind of tired but I'll still see it tomorrow.

Hi, Neniel_Andunie, I'm not a big fan of Harry as GG2 but it looks like that will happen, unless Raimi surprises us and that can be a possibility too. And I liked the way they ended it with Ock sacrificing his life instead of him dying as a villian. I thought it was very sad. He's a brilliant man and unfortunetly his life became a tragic one. Oh, and the scene when he talked about his wife and dream, I agree, that was very sad.

About the sequels, I'm actually looking forward to seeing the third one. The only thing is, if they continue with more after 3, hmm...it depends. I've heard that Tobey and Kirsten wouldn't want to do anymore after 3. If that happens, I'm not sure if I would want to see a fourth or fifth without them. I feel they're just so perfect in their roles as Peter/Spidey and MJ. I feel the same way about Al Molina as Doc Ock.
Frodos_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 07, 2004 05:46
Well, I have to take a raincheck on Spidey until next week, but by my own choice...sort of. My parents think I should only see it if I go with a friend since I've seen it twice already (hehe), so I managed to find one...deal is, she'll only see it with me if I see a movie that SHE wants to see. Big mistake. She's as into girly movies as I am into Spidey, which isn't good. She said she would see Spidey if I saw "A Cinderella Story," but since I would rather die, I'm gonna see if we can trade that for "Princess Diaries 2" next week. Not that I want to see that, either; I just find it more bearable than Hilary Duff, whom I *really* don't like.
Of course, if we do the movies back to back, I'll make sure we see Spider-Man 2 second, that way it'll be fresh in my mind all day...

Aunt May thinks Spidey's a menace for pretty much the same reason anyone does...J.J.'s wonderful criticism and habit of making him look bad. Still, I love J.J.

If Tobey and Dunst aren't in the fourth film (if they make one), I'll probably still see it, to see how the newbies handle the roles; but since they were the first ones I saw on the big screen as Pete and M.J., they'll probably stay my favorites.
MaddyLakeDeep
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2004 01:02
Hey Frodos_elf :wave:

I hope you get to see Spider-Man 2 again. I saw it in IMAX on Saturday and it was incredible!!! I enjoyed it even better the third time

When it comes to girly movies, it depends...some are really good and some are just too sappy. I enjoyed "Princess Diaries" I didn't think I would but I really liked it so when I get the chance (which I didn't think I would to see Spidey again) I wouldn't mind seeing "Princess Diaries 2"

Oh, about Aunt May...that's right...it makes sense now why she would think Spidey's a menace :banghead: hehe...I should have figured that out.

Another question...Doc Ock in the comics...do you think he's portrayed differently in the movie? Example, I've discovered that Frodo in the movie was portrayed differently than the book Frodo. Talk to ya later!
Frodos_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 09, 2004 04:34
LOL on your Tobey signature.

So you saw it in IMAX? Awesome! That would be the ultimate movie to see there...that, and LOTR of course.

Do I think Ock was portrayed differently? In some aspects, yes; I think he was a little more arrogant in the comics, and more dedicated to his work, since he didn't have a wife. But no matter where they try to adapt him to--the movie or cartoons, whatever--he's gonna be different each time. Know what I mean?

I'll try and get to Spidey this weekend...I need my refill on all that is Ock and Spider-Man...
MaddyLakeDeep
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2004 07:31
Hey!

Glad you like my Tobey siggy

Yeah, IMAX is incredible! I wish I couldn've seen RotK in IMAX. Wow, that would have been awesome! Do you know if any of LotR movies were shown in IMAX? I didn't see the first two in the theaters.

About Ock, yeah, I notice he's more arrogant in the comics (from those I've been reading so far). And I know what you mean. Usually there's going to be some differences when a character from a book (or in this case the comics) is portrayed in the movie. And Sam Raimi did a great job with Ock!

Hope you get to see Spidey again this weekend
Frodos_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 12, 2004 04:12
I think some of the LOTR movies were in IMAX, but it was in London or something...ah, well. Maybe they'll do an extended edition IMAX screening over here. That would rock.

I kept meaning to ask: do you have the Spider-Man 2 soundtrack? It is *awesome!* It has Doc Ock's little tune on there, which I love and obsess over, plus a bunch of other great songs.
Healer_of_Ithilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2004 03:27
Wow, I love Spider-Man! I can't wait for Spider-Man 3, which I heard on FOX News that it's going to come out in 2007, how unfair! To wait that long, argh!

So, those who have read the comic books: Does Harry actually turn to the bad side and come out as Green Gobby the Sequel? I thought, in the way it was presented at the end of Spider-Man 2, that he found out what an evil man his father was... but of course, once he gets the power, perhaps Harry won't care. Oh well...
Frodos_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 13, 2004 04:05
'Ello, Healer_of_Ithilien, and welcome to the Spidey community, heh.

Yeah, Harry does eventually become the GG, though I'm hoping they won't bring that issue back too soon. The whole second movie was about how ticked off Harry was--hiring Ock to kill Spider-Man and everything--so hopefully they'll take a break from the Osborn problem.
MaddyLakeDeep
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2004 08:00
:wave: Hi there, Healer_of_Ithilien!

I know how you feel about Spider-Man 3 coming out in 2007. First I thought maybe I heard wrong but unfortunately that's when it's being released I keep telling myself, ok, at least there's another Spidey movie to see but still...2007!!! :cry:

About Harry as GG2, yeah, I was shocked it ended that way where you know who the next villain will be and that he's going to be GG2. I prefer if they focused on another villain since GG was in the first movie. It may be the reason why they may have another villain along with GG2. It's rumored that Dr. Curt Conners (who's the Lizard in the comics) will be the second villain...I hope. Now what I would find interesting about Harry as GG2 is the conflict between him and Peter because they were best friends.

Hey Frodos_elf! An extended edition IMAX of LotR...that would be awesome!!! About the spidey soundtrack, actually I plan on buying it tomorrow. But which one do you have? Orchestra (Danny Elfman) or non-orchestra? I'll probably buy both. I love the theme song you hear at the opening credits (I guess that would be the spidey theme?) and I'm very curious to hear what the Doc Ock theme sounds like
Frodos_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 14, 2004 04:09
Oh, you'll love the soundtrack! There's only one CD, and it has orchestra *and* non-orchestra on it. The track "Spider-Man Suite" has the theme during the opening credits, which I love.

The Doc Ock theme was the one that played whenever he came on screen; I love it. Whenever it plays, I get all hyper and think, "Doc Ock!! Doc Ock!! Mwahaha!!"
MaddyLakeDeep
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2004 07:45
Argg!!! I was going to buy the soundtrack yesterday but the store near me didn't have anymore, so I ordered them instead. You have one CD with both orchestra and non-orchestra? Hmm...there are two CD's out, one with the songs by Train and other artists and there's one with only Danny Elfman's score. FYE (the store closest to me) and another called, Tower Records sells both CDs but FYE ran out of them. Someone else told me they're great too so I'm really looking forward to listening to them!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email