Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the Week- aug 2nd 2004 ( 6.I The Tower of Cirith Ungol)
on: August 02, 2004 12:01
sam
...'Well, Mr. Frodo, I've been thinking,' said Sam. "I'd best not leave any of my stuff behind, and we can't destroy it. And I can't wear orc-mail over my clothes, can I? I'll just have to cover up."

The relationship between Sam and Frodo is forever changed. Sam has decided how best to proceed from here. He used to let Frodo make all the decisions and was only interested in making sure that he was as comfortable as possible. When he thought that Frodo was dead, Sam was all set to continue on his own, and this changed his outlook. He now seems to be far more interested in planning the rest of the journey and making decisions on his own rather that wait for Frodo . He is now Frodo's partner rather than his servant.

[Edited on 9/8/2004 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the Week- aug 2nd 2004 ( 6.I The Tower of Cirith Ungol)
on: August 02, 2004 01:06
Oh, great quote, I hadn't noticed that. It's really a turning point in the book. Now that I think of it, the whole chapter is a turning point: Frodo and Sam cross from the relative safety of Ithilien to Mordor, into the final stage of their journey, and their relationship is also changed. (I didn't think that was a spoiler, since the book's almost over, and you can figure that they have to fail or succed soon enough anyway unless the print gets really small. Okay... I'll shut up now. :blush: )
legolasfan27
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2004 08:56
That is a really shrewd observation...I didn't notice that shift either. I may need to re-read that section before commenting any further...
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: August 03, 2004 11:01
I quite agree PbHf! I think being separated from Frodo forced Sam to learn to make choices (The last chapter of Book 4 is called The Choices of Master Samwise for a reason ) Once he decided making them himself, it seems he also grew in a certain way: he gained insight, he became stronger... He's no longer a servant, and I don't think he's Frodo's equal any longer either: he's the one in charge now.

I like how they sort of dance around eachother in the beginning, and Sam seems reluctant to take control, but then he has to because there's really nothing left of Frodo.
RubySandybanks
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 11, 2004 09:05
I agree with you all concerning Sam’s shift here especially in his interaction with Frodo. He has certainly become more self-reliant. His timing couldn’t have been better either. Frodo is pretty roughed up at this point and someone needs a clear head.

I am a bit surprised that he didn’t offer Frodo the shirt off his back, he being so self-sacrificing and all. Sam’s shirt would have been less disgusting to Frodo even though it, too, wouldn’t be smelling that great by this time. I’m glad Sam kept this one small comfort for himself because had he given it to Frodo, Sam’s altruistic side would have lost credibility.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email