Register

Author Topic:
fasa09
Council Member
Send Message
Post David Eddings
on: August 14, 2004 09:55
Good afternoon neighbors,

Besides Tolkien, I'm a huge fan of David Eddings. Am I alone here, or are any of you fans of him as well? I've read all of his books about ten times over. I seem to have picked up a habit of calling people 'neighbor' from him too. It confuses people a lot less than when I call them 'mellon'. "What!?!?!? Did you say I was a melon???????" is the response I usuallly get.
briseis_orqu_apollo
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: David Eddings
on: August 16, 2004 10:46
not 2 sure, but I've got a non-CoE member friend MAD about Eddings, I mean MAD. When everyone else talks Tolkien she just wrecks the conversation with...'So, about Eddings...'
I've read bits, but I'm new to fantasy and can't accept that MAYBE someone could rival Tolkien.

[Edited on 17/8/2004 by briseis_orqu_apollo]
lotr_fanatic
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 03:01
don't worry you're not alone.

i love david eddings writing as well, although im still relatively new to it and have only read belgariad and mallorean ( sorry if the spelling is a bit wrong). I think his sense of humour is really infectious, its that dry sarcastic tone he uses that makes you fall off your chair laughing.

glad to know that there is another edding's fan, neighbour!
fasa09
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 10:39
Belgariad and Mallorean are the ones he's best known for... my personal favorites are the Elenium and Tamuli, but I got hooked by reading Polgara the Sorceress. I love his sense of humor as well.

One of my favorite quotes from Elenium:
"Watch your mouth, Talen!"
"I can't, Kurik, my nose gets in the way."
Tindomewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2004 10:13
I'm sort of a fan. My friend gave me The Redemption of Althalus for Christmas and I loved it. The humor is wicked funny and the characters are great. I haven't had a chance to read any others though becuase I'm trying to get all Anne Rice books.
lotr_fanatic
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2004 12:36
hee hee...
i'm starting to read elenium now .....i finished the first one in 2 days and already half-way through the second

so who's your favorite character? i personally love Silk from belgariad and mallorean/ i mean he's a thief, a spy, a prince, 2 different merchants and the most humorous and deceptive guy youve ever met...what more could you want?
2nd place would probably go to belgarath. those two together really liven up the book.

Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: August 22, 2004 01:02
I haven't finished the Belgariad yet, but I really do like it: it's funny and light. Good material to read in bed
Nevquareien
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 25, 2004 01:54
Yep, I'm a long-time Eddings fan. My brother bought me "Pawn of Prophecy" (book 1 of the Belgariad) when it had just been published, and I've been buying each book as it is released, ever since (over twenty years).

Vardagaladhiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2004 10:34
I love David Eddings books!!! I have read the first four books of The Belgariad but I can't get my hands on the last!!! It's really annoying!!! But what I have read are brilliant and awe inspiring!!
:disco::disco::disco::disco::disco::disco::disco::disco::disco::disco:
Sirthien
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2004 08:24
Before any one uses me as firefeed: I love David Eddings, I just think that his books gets a bit obvious, and repeating of eachother. Hero defeats evil god, hero marries beutiful maiden, heros child/wife is kidnapped, have to kill another god to save him/her...
Auralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2004 12:00
I'm a huge David Eddings fan...My mother got me into his work. I actually called my rat Kheldar, my mice were called Faran, Polgara, Beldaran and Ce'Nedra, and my dog is Ehlana.

I have to add; the bit where Talen calls into a cave. "Hello!" "Tell us if anyone answers"- Tynian
And Ulath and the cooking...has me in laughter everytime.

And with the 'Redemption of Althalus' my mother and I just call it 'Althie' "So, who's turn is it with Althie tonight?"

You know you are obsessed when your humour begins to be a bit like his.... *evil grins*
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: October 19, 2004 11:55
but I can't get my hands on the last!!! It's really annoying!!!

I just happened to get one of those fliers from the Science Fiction Book Club and I think I saw an all-in-one volume, if you happen to belong.
Rilain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2004 05:52
My friend introduced me to the Belgariad, and I've read all his books related to that world!
Belgarath: 'What now?'
Necessity: 'Pick up one foot and put it in front of the other. I'll let you decide which foot. Don't try to pick them both up at the same time though.'
Belgarath: 'Very funny.'

And Silk would have to be my favourite character.... so like ryuuza! And the Mallorean is just as good as the Belgariad! It's amazing!

[Edited on 11/12/2004 by Rilain]
kellymulder
CoE Volunteer & Seagull of Ulmo
Send Message
on: December 17, 2004 05:53
I think I've read all his books though it has been a while since I read them; but I do remember loving them!
I've read so many books it's sometimes a little hard to distinguish all the different characters
Elmanamir
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2005 07:27
I decided I'd bump this back up because of the new series. Has anyone read it? I own both of the books that are out now, but I haven't gotten to read the second one yet due to the ghastly amount of work I had to do with my summer reading books. I've forgotten most of the first one already too, so I'm going to have to reread it before I start on the second one.

I did start rereading the Polgara prequel, though. I love that one. It's my favorite.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email