Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the Week- aug 16th 2004 ( 6.III Mount Doom)
on: August 16, 2004 01:08
Then Frodo stirred and spoke with a clear voice, indeed with a voice clearer and more powerful than Sam had ever heard him use , and it rose above the throb and turmoil of mount Doom, ringing in the roof and walls.
' I have come,' he said. " But I do not choose now to do what I came to do. I will not do this deed. the Ring is Mine!' And Suddenly, as he set it on his finger, he vanished from Sam's sight...

In the end ; Frodo fails.

[Edited on 21/8/2004 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the Week- aug 16th 2004 ( 6.III Mount Doom)
on: August 16, 2004 10:28
Can I just say you might like to look at this thread in the Books Forum - "Did Frodo Fail?" Its got some interesting points of view in it
legolasfan27
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the Week- aug 16th 2004 ( 6.III Mount Doom)
on: August 17, 2004 07:01
Well, of course he did! I mean, I expected him to succumb to the influence of the ring eventually, didn't you? If the Ring is all of Sauron's malice and desire to rule, eventually it had to overcome him.

In my opinion, there's a marked difference between the failure that comes from not trying at all (e.g. Isildur) and the failure that comes from reaching the limits of your abilities (Frodo). When you've done your best, no matter what happens afterward, that's the most that can be asked from you.

I think even Gandalf knew that Frodo would only get so far and no further, why else would he worry so much about the outcome? When Bilbo had the Ring, it corrupted him surely enough, but because nothing was happening, the effects were slower to be apparent. With Frodo, he got the One Ring at a time when its Master was seeking it actively, throwing every force of evil he could out to get it back. Frodo went to and through Mordor, he was wounded by Shelob, betrayed by Gollum, so many bad things happened, eventually it all had to become too much. Everyone has their breaking point, even pure and noble people, it just takes them longer and for Frodo it was at Mt. Doom.

He failed, yes, to destroy the Ring of his own volition. But he got it far enough that it could happen. And that was a triumph in and of itself.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email