Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Nan
Council Member
Send Message
Post Lucy Maud Montgomery
on: August 30, 2004 06:58
Lucy Maud Montgomery is one of my favorite authors. her most famous book is probably Anne of Green Gables, but she has written so many more great books. I love all of the Anne books (8 of them!) and the Emily books, and The Blue Castle:heart: and all the others...

I was wondering if anyone else here likes them? Which is your favorite?
galadriel_evenstar_idril
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Lucy Maud Montgomery
on: August 30, 2004 01:57
When i was younger i used to read 'Anne' books and I loved them. Even though all of them were great, Anne of Green Gables was my favourte.
Anorwen_Niphredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2004 05:55
Of LMM's books, I've only read the Anne series, but I love every one of them :love: . Of them, my absolute favorite is Rilla of Ingalside.

[Edited on 8/31/2004 by Anorwen_Niphredil]
Nan
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2004 07:01
I liked Rilla of Ingalside a lot too. It was my first glimpse at WWI and had a very strong impact on me.
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: September 06, 2004 11:28
I just love LMM! She's one of my favorite authors. I have all 8 Anne books up on my book shelf. The only other's I've read are the Emily ones. That was a few years ago, but I still don't have my own copies yet.
Anorwen_Niphredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2004 07:22
I only own three of the Anne books myself-- Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea and Anne's House of Dream-- it's a three-in-one hardback book my grandma bought for me nearly ten years ago...I keep thinking I ought to buy the entire series. I know I should
Sometimes I wonder what on earth Anne would have thought of LotR!
Eressëa
Melkor's Apprentice
Send Message
on: September 07, 2004 03:13
I love LMM... though perhaps I loved her even more when I was younger I've got both the Anne series and the Emily series -though they're in Danish.... I don't know, but if ever I'm in the mood of some sobbing I read the last Emily book or or the fourth installment of Anne (or is it the third, the one where she's at the university)..... Great books....
Nyérëven
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2004 10:57
Oh I remember the Anne books. They were my favourite books a few years ago. My favourite was either Anne of the Island, or Rainbow Valley.
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: September 14, 2004 10:47
My favorites are Anne's House of Dreams and Anne of Ingleside. I just love her kiddies when they're little! And Anne's dream house, I would love to live there...

Has anyone else here seen the films that were based off the books? The first two are pretty good. But the third one. Gah! They got the story all wrong! Though the little baby boy is very adorable.
Eressëa
Melkor's Apprentice
Send Message
on: September 15, 2004 06:24
Has anyone else here seen the films that were based off the books? The first two are pretty good. But the third one. Gah! They got the story all wrong! Though the little baby boy is very adorable.

Ahhh, couldn't agree with you more TLA!!!!!! I absolutely adored the first two films, they were amazing, they completely captured the spirit of the books -perhaps even added some more to it, but the third.... Ugh, it was horrible.... I don't know how they could make such a movie, I had so high expectations to it but they made it all wrong, didn't even try to stick to the books, grrrr
Eldirn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2004 08:29
Yes, I grew up on the Anne books, but only recently found the last couple in the series some years ago. I loved them.

But the last book made me cry too much, when Walter died in the war.
Náriel_Belegwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2004 09:56
I love the "Anne" books!! I have only read the first and second one, but I am starting the third one soon! The first two movies were wonderful! I loved the boy they picked for Gilbert Blythe. I haven't seen the third film yet, but I heard it was terrible.
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: September 15, 2004 10:59
I haven't seen the third film yet, but I heard it was terrible.

It depends on how you look at it. The film is good if you think of it as "just a film". But if you're expecting it to be like the books, it really is terrible. The only things that stay the same are Anne and Gil getting married and they used the right war, just the wrong people. But the baby boy is cute!
Náriel_Belegwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2004 12:53
I'll have to rent the third movie after I have finished reading the third book! I'll let you know what I think when I see it!

One of my friends thinks that the Anne books are good the first time but now they seem juvenile... I think that is one of the best parts of the books. Little girls grow up entirely too fast nowadays, and I love how Anne instills this old fashioned sense of innocence! It has something to do with her hopeless romantic ways and the time period... and the beauty of Avonlea! What do you think? You don't have to agree with me, I just want to hear your oppion on the subject!!

Nan
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2004 03:25
Juvenile? well sometimes you have to be mature enough to enjoy a good "children's" book. I think that some of the best books (for all ages) are considered children's books.

So lots of people have read and loved the Anne books, and some have read the Emily books, but no one knows any of the others?
The Blue Castle happens to be one of my favorites.
Any one who loved the Anne books should try "Chronicles of Avonlea" it's short stories about the people in the Anne books and need I say it is wonderful? Pat of Silver Bush is also very good imho.

For a complete list of LMM book go here:
http://www.tickledorange.com/LMM/index.html
Náriel_Belegwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2004 02:05
I haven't hear of "The Chronicles of Avonlea"... I'll have to read those after I finish the Anne series!
RainBow
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 03:37
I loved those books about Anne. And I also liked the show of Emily of New Moon. I got to read those books.
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 10:02
I loved reading the Anne of Green Gables series. I think my favorite book would have to be one of the first three, because I loved Anne when she was younger. By the last two books, the stories were mostly about her children, and I sort of missed the young and carefree Anne we had read about in the previous books. But overall, I would have to say that the Anne of Green Gables series will be books cherished forever!!
And the movies were also great!! (Except I haven't seen the third movie yet..I have to find it first!!)
~Elven_Star
smart_elf_girl
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2005 04:36
Oh wow I love the Anne books. I've read them all (except Anne of INgleside but I prefer the ones when she's younger anyway). My favourites are Anne of Green Gables and Anne of the Island and am pretty fond of Anne of Windy Willows too.

Love them all though!
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: May 02, 2005 07:53
I've never heard of "The Blue Castle" ~ what's it about? I'm re-reading the Emily books right now. I'll probably dust off my Anne books next.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Ovëlyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2005 05:43
I grew up reading Lucy Maud's books... From Anne of Green Gables to Emily of New Moon and back again.

I have such fond memories of reading those books with my cousin, Jennifer.. oh how we loved to pretend that we were Anne and Diana.. *smiles*

My mother and I used to sit and watch the Anne series when it was made into a television miniseries.. and then there was Road to Avonlea *sighs blissfully* I miss those days...
EllaBeth
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2005 06:26
:love: I grew up reading her Anne books and loved them! I also really like The Blue Castle, The Story Girl, Jane of Lantern Hill and so many more!

Ovelyn: My cousin and I used to pretend we were Dianna and Anne too! We both have really dark hair, so we traded the characters back and forth.

LinweSingollo: The Blue Castle is about woman who finds her own place and her own life away from her controlling family after a important visit to the doctor. (It also involves a bit of unexpected romance!) It's one of my favorites, but I haven't read it in awhile. I think I'll go do that now!
-EllaBeth
Ovëlyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2005 06:45
:love: I grew up reading her Anne books and loved them! I also really like The Blue Castle, The Story Girl, Jane of Lantern Hill and so many more!

Jane of Lantern Hill! OMG! I totally forgot about that book! *laughs*

Ovelyn: My cousin and I used to pretend we were Dianna and Anne too! We both have really dark hair, so we traded the characters back and forth.

My cousin and I are the opposite, lol. She's got blonde hair and I have "dirty blonde" hair so we always bickered about who got to play Anne. I always won. *giggles*
LotrLuva
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2005 09:59
I love LMM! But the only book of hers I've read is Anne of Green Gables. I'll have to read the rest.
Ovëlyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2005 10:41
^^ I totally recommend reading the Emily of New Moon series. (:
longbe4thesun
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 06:32
I want to eventually start reading the Anne of Green Gables Series again. I finished the first book in fifth grade and I couldn't get too far into the second book because I got too distracted with other books. *looks at the pile of books she still has intentions of reading eventually*
Ovëlyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 04:11
*looks at the pile of books she still has intentions of reading eventually*

LOL! That sounds exactly like me. Before we moved down to Iowa, my husband had bought me a dozen+ books up at my favorite bookstores in Toronto so I could add them to my collection (and obviously to read again, lol)... That was two years ago and I haven't read or re-read a single one of them!

To make matters worse he's bought me several more since we've been down here in Iowa, and I've bought myself a few more too... and I've only read two of them.

He's so good-natured about it but he has promised that he's not going to buy me ANY more books until I read at least half of the ones he's bought me in the last two years, haha. So, it looks like I'm going to have to read at least 15 books before he'll buy me some, lol.

Silly me. :naughty:
Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 11:01
I love the books, especially Anne of Green Gables. I read the Anne series about twice a year, as often as I read Tolkien.
Precious!
~LadyofMirkwood~~
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2005 05:10
I've loved LMM for nearly forever I think. My favorite series was the Emily of New Moon. I did like the Anne books, once she got older, but Rilla of Ingleside made me cry:cry: The Blue Castle is a WONDERFUL book!!! I probably should read LMM more, but I kinda went through a craze where I just read LMM, but now I have all the books sitting on my shelf....
Ovëlyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2005 08:56
Yes!!! Rilla of Ingleside was a great story. (^_^)

That's another on my list of "Books I Must Re-Read".
Elenearwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 05:34
Oh, I really adore those books! I think I was around ten years old when I read Emily books, then I started to read the Anne books. Then came other books, and it was in the end of April of this year when I started to read Anne of Ingleside, which I own. I read it, Rainbow Valley and Rilla of Ingleside in two weeks. I found them again, and now I think I must re-read Emily books in this summer...

An interesting detail is that when the Anne books were translated into Finnish, they changed Anne's name to Anna. I wonder why, because Anne is a Finnish name too! I just can't see the point of changing her name. That annoys me really. And Emily's name in Finnish translations is Emilia, but this is far more understandable because Emily is not a Finnish name. But I still prefer Emily.

I think I should read the books in English...
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email