Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the Week- sept 6th 2004 ( 6.VI Many Partings)
on: September 06, 2004 05:11
When Saruman is overtaken on the road to Rivendel

'Saruman' said Galadriel, 'we have other errands and other cares that seem to us more urgent than hunting for you. say rather that you are overtaken by good fortune; for now you have a last chance'
'If it truly be the last , I am glad,' said Saruman; 'for I shall be spared the trouble of refusing it again. all my hopes are ruined, but I would not share yours. If you have any.'
For a long moment his eyes kindled. "Go!' he said, 'I did not spend long study on these matters for naught. You have doomed yourselves and you know it. and it will afford me sone comfort as I wander to think that you pulled down your own house when you destroyed mine. And now , what ship will bear you back across so wide a sea?' he mocked .'It will be a grey ship and full of ghosts.' He laughed, but his voce was cracked and hideous.

Saruman remained unrepentant yet the Wise never gave up hope for him.

Also - The accuracy of his words must have stung .

[Edited on 8/9/2004 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Hareth
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the Week- sept 6th 2004 ( 6.VI Many Partings)
on: September 07, 2004 02:10
Galadriel, mercifully, offers Saruman a chance to atone for his actions and ask for forgiveness, which Saruman summarily rejects. Instead, he uses the encounter to try to inflict more damage on the traveling party. He attempts to injure the Three (Galadriel, Gandalf, and Elrond), whose power and fate are bound with the One Ring that has been destroyed. Saruman cannot comprehend that Galadriel, Gandalf, and Elrond willingly sacrificed their life in Middle Earth so that others can live in peace. There sacrifice was made with eyes wide open, to rid Middle Earth of a great evil. Although his words probably stung, I doubt the Three felt any regrets. Sadly, Saruman may be beyond hope, although the Wise are ever hopeful.
RubySandybanks
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the Week- sept 6th 2004 ( 6.VI Many Partings)
on: September 07, 2004 11:43
Saruman’s pride, greed and lust for power have completely consumed him it seems. His pride is so great that he feels deeply offended by Galadriel and Gandalf’s words. He completely rejects their offer of a chance to redeem himself. It seems obvious that Saruman does not believe that he has done anything wrong.

He hints at how Sauron may have deluded him. I believe that Sauron, using the Palantíri, could have led Saruman to believe that there was no ship to take him or any others across the sea. Perhaps he convinced Saruman of this and twisted his thinking around to his side. Saruman with all his knowledge perhaps, because of his pride, lacked the wisdom to realize that he was being played for a fool. (Remember how Sauron only showed Denethor what he wanted Denethor to see in the Palantíri). I believe it was Saruman’s pride that Sauron courted and it was his pride that led Saruman to his downfall and inability to accept or even understand a helping hand.

He equates doom with the loss of their magical powers but I don’t believe Gandalf, Galadriel or Celeborn believe this to be true. I don’t believe that they feel doomed at all. They are heartbroken to leave their beloved Middle Earth behind but IMHO seem resigned to leaving and moving on to the next phase of their existence.

Gandalf says sadly of Saruman,
"Alas for Saruman! I fear nothing more can be made of him. He has withered altogether.”
It seems that some of the mightiest in Tolkien’s world fall the hardest.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email