Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lord_of_Minas_Morgul_75
Council Member
Send Message
Post Installing Tengwar
on: October 30, 2004 09:36
I have an issue. Whenever I go to "install new fonts" blah blah blah-when I click "ok" to install the font it says "The file is currently being used and cannot be replaced. Wait until Windows is finished using the file, then try again later." BUt that makes no sense, since windows is not using it. Then i try again later and the same pop up, well, pops up Can someone help?
Lambengolmo
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Installing Tengwar
on: October 30, 2004 10:14
It may just be easier if you drag and drop the font files into your fonts folder.
Lord_of_Minas_Morgul_75
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2004 01:15
YAY it worked. thanks a lot, but now i have another problem. How do I do tehtar? whenever i try to type it, it doesn't do anything...
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
on: October 30, 2004 10:30
You should use a Tengwar Scribe. This is a little program that converts Quenya (or Sindarin, English, ...) words into Tengwar. It automatically generates the necessary codes for tehtar.

A good one can be found at:
http://w1.860.comhem.se/~u86023928/at/tengscribe.htm
and another one
http://www.acondia.com/font_tengwar/index.html
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Lambengolmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2004 04:55
On your computer, the tehtar have a zero width. This means that when you type one, the cursor doesn't move. The tehtar will appear to the left of wherever the cursor is. Before you type a tehtar you have to type the tengwar that it goes above. All the tehtar are written by pressing shift in combination with a key.

For example, you press the keys 3~Mj$ (in that order) to write the word súlë.

I would advise against using a scribe unless you are well and truly stuck. They are generally quite good, but even they make the occasional mistake (for example they will mis-transcribe súlë as i~Mj$).
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
on: October 31, 2004 07:26
There's also a third variant, if you're using Windows and Word. Dan Smith's Tengwar fonts come with a macro for Word, and if you install it, you can type Tengwar by pressing buttons on a virtual chart. This way, you don't need to figure out key strokes, but still have full control over which tengwa is written, and exactly where tehtar and other marks are placed.
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
on: October 31, 2004 10:44
To use the tengscribes doesn't mean you shouldn't know how to write in tengwar: just write thúle and you will get the correct form.
To get ngoldo or ñoldo, just write ñ instead of n, and once again you will see the correct tengwar.

When you use the Word-macroes or the codes themselves you also have to know which Tengwar to use in which word, so I would still advise to use the Word-macroes or a TengScribe. But if anyone wants to torture themselves to learn all those codes, I am the last one to interfere.
Lambengolmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2004 12:42
Yes, so long as you're aware of the potential problems and know how to fix or prevent them, there is nothing wrong in using a scribe.

But I think they can be quite dangerous because they tempt inexperienced users into thinking that the output is nessessarily correct.

There isn't really any code memorising envolved in writing tengwar anyway (it's definatly not "torture"). The tengwar are layed out on the keyboard in a similar way to how Tolkien lays them out in the table in LotR. The only code I had had to memorise are the palatisation tehtar ÌÍÎÏ (which is no worse than memorising the codes for áéíóúäëö for writing Quenya in the Latin alphabet).
PhantomElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2005 04:04
There's also a third variant, if you're using Windows and Word. Dan Smith's Tengwar fonts come with a macro for Word, and if you install it, you can type Tengwar by pressing buttons on a virtual chart

Mal can you give me any further info on how to install the macro's? I have downloaded them but I can't seem to get them installed. .

Thanks

Don't worry I have finally figured it out

[Edited on 15/5/2005 by PhantomElf]
Morna_Child_of_Eru
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2005 05:43
HELP!

Ok I have TengScribe, but I can't copy from it. Basically my Windows XP clipboard (I don't use Microsoft Office so I don't have that one) isn't clearing the first thing I copied when I copy something else.

It's pretty useless if I can't paste into other documents. I do know how to clear the clipboard manually, but having to do that every time I copy takes too much time and I can't get anything done.

There is an online version at

http://www.tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/start.php?l=en

Unfortunatly these people didn't bother to check how the Tehtar are used and the transcription they give you puts the tehtar on the wrong tengwa. HELLO! In Quenya they follow, not precede.

Ok rant over. Some help anyone?
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
on: May 19, 2005 10:02
I have also met this problem, the easiest solution is to use YaTT. This tengwar program is much better than the other one, and you can paste directly into any type of document.

This program can be found at:
http://www.jadro.cz/tengwar/index.php
Morna_Child_of_Eru
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2005 09:37
I actually did find a way to make TengScribe work. I used WindowsXp's clipboard viewer to manually clear the clipboard. Then I could copy and paste from TengScribe. Once I get better at Quenya (I'm still on the alphabet) I might use YaTT, but for what I do now, TengScribe works fine.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email