Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
Post Wiiiiiiii-lllloooooow
on: November 03, 2002 02:30
Every time I think of Willow, I imagine Fin Raziel as a goat bleating his name.

In my never to be humble opinion, this is the best fantasy movie ever, aside from LotR. Anytime I want to be transported, I watch it again. It has everything--adventure, romance, magic, quest, humor, mortal danger, good overcoming evil--plus Val Kilmer:drool: ! I mean, does it get any better than this? Well, maybe the LotR movies, but that's about it. For 1988, the FX were superb--the first time morphing was used.

Also marks the last time George Lucas ever told a good story. **cough cough Star Wars episodes 1 and 2**

Anyone interested in a fun little Easter egg on the DVD? If you ask nicely, Mother Scothia will direct you to it.
PervyOrcFancier
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Wiiiiiiii-lllloooooow
on: November 03, 2002 02:33
ahh.. yes, the movie willow! I love it! and, ^^ it pleases me to know that my name and the movie title are the same.
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: November 03, 2002 03:35
Really? Where you live the movie came out as "Pervy Orc Fancier"?

highlandergirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 03, 2002 03:35
That is a good movie...adventure, humor, romance, magic- loved it! I thought about naming my first kid alora, only spelled elora, because I liked the sound but was told it sounded like too much like "allure." ( Come to think of it, willow would be a pretty name, too.) I loved the Brownies! That was also the first time I really noticed Val Kilmer, he was nice to look at as Madmartigan...heh,heh.. It was just on t.v. not too long ago...

[Edited on 4/11/2002 by highlandergirl]
PervyOrcFancier
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 03, 2002 03:41
Really? Where you live the movie came out as "Pervy Orc Fancier"?

*falls over* not exactly.. -_-;;
merrysmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 25, 2002 08:15
i used to own that movie until someone decided to try to use to test their old vcr and the tape came out...grrrr (i am over it now)....i think it is now out on special dvd...but dont take my word for it...i may be wrong...:dizzy:

[Edited on 25/12/2002 by merrysmaiden]
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: December 27, 2002 09:09
i think it is now out on special dvd...but dont take my word for it...i may be wrong...:dizzy:

Indeed it is out on DVD. It was one of the first titles we bought a year ago when we bought our DVD player. Some neat behind-the-scenes extras.
merrysmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2002 02:04
i want to get that right now! it is one of my favorite movies and i love behind the scenes stuff!
Brienne_of_Tarth
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2003 03:30
Eeep! I love Willow, but it sort of made people imagine Hobbits like Nelwyns. And Willow even had that little sidekick friend for the first third of the movie. And they're saving a baby (ring) and Madmartigan is such an Aragorn rip-off! (Although Val is so darn sexy in the part, lol). And Fin-raziel could be a female Gndalf.
The Bownies are lovely, though.
"I stole the baby from you Daikini, while you were taking a pee-pee!" That always cracks me up.

And probably the best quote from the movie:
"Lose your shirt?"
"I still got what counts."
"Not for long!"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2003 04:03
I LOVED Willow!!! You are so right! That movie, for when it was made, was incredible!!!

I loved all the little people and was so happy to see that they portrayed them like real people and not like freaks. They had their own culture, their own way of life, it was great.

Oh and by the way, if I could have kidnapped Willow's daughter Mims, I would have in a heartbeat! She was one of the most precious children I have ever seen in my life! She was soooooo cute!!! :heart:

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: January 10, 2003 04:17
you know i completely forgot about willow until this christmas.. this thread was started and then it was on tv.. so i watched it again

its good... i remember that i used to like watching it every year. though your right brienne i did see some LotR simelarities but i think that i just see LotR in as much as i can
Mairwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2003 12:16
Ah okay don't kill me but I've never actually seen Willow (although I've heard very good things). I have however actually met Warwick Davis, very briefly of course. It was at an autograph signing in a Sic-Fi fair and he was very friendly indeed (and didn't even seem to mind when I held the camera the wrong way up ). I never realised that he'd been in so many of my favourite things until I got home and looked at all my most watched videos, Star Wars, The 10th Kingdom, Harry Potter, I was amazed.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: January 12, 2003 02:00
In my never to be humble opinion, this is the best fantasy movie ever, aside from LotR.

Oh come on now Scothia...how can you say that Willow is better than Krull??

[Edited on 1/13/2003 by Aowyn]
landscribe
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2003 04:52
Yah, Willow's a classic alright.

Did you know they wrote some sequels for it that were published as books... written by George Lucas and Chris Claremeont "Shadow Star" and "Shadow Moon" I think the were called.

They veered quite a bit from the movie.. the Willow character was quite a bit different, and without giving too much away, some of the best characters from the movie aren't featured at all in the books - I think from memory they are based more around Willow and the baby (I forget her name). They spoiled the movie a bit for me, because they are quite different - but they are a pretty good simple read all the same.. I still remember bits from them, and that's always a good sign of a good book I reckon.
FergoBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2003 05:21
Used to watch that movie all the time! I remember when one of the networks would every once in a while have a "fantasy block" where they'd show Willow, Legend and Dragonslayer back to back.

I used to think Val Kilmer's character's name was Martigan and he was crazy: "Mad Martigan" rather than Madmartigan."

I named an elf in my book Martigan! But I explained that it was the common pronunciation for "Marteh-Gann," which means "shooting star" in Thassen (my elf language).

~Fergo
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: February 27, 2003 05:26
used to think Val Kilmer's character's name was Martigan and he was crazy: "Mad Martigan" rather than Madmartigan."

LOL well up until about a minute ago i thought that too... you mean he wasnt mad martigan? weird...
mariana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2003 08:55
Every time I think of Willow, I imagine Fin Raziel as a goat bleating his name.

In my never to be humble opinion, this is the best fantasy movie ever, aside from LotR. Anytime I want to be transported, I watch it again. It has everything--adventure, romance, magic, quest, humor, mortal danger, good overcoming evil--plus Val Kilmer:drool: ! I mean, does it get any better than this? Well, maybe the LotR movies, but that's about it. For 1988, the FX were superb--the first time morphing was used.

Also marks the last time George Lucas ever told a good story. **cough cough Star Wars episodes 1 and 2**

Anyone interested in a fun little Easter egg on the DVD? If you ask nicely, Mother Scothia will direct you to it.

i think i have never seen it..
Lunahine
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2003 01:36
i was born the same day as the twins who played alora were. that was one of the first movies i ever saw, before and disney cartoons. it is my favorite movie of all time. i grew up with it and watch it whenever i need a little lift. i bought the special edition dvd before i even got a dvd player, i had to watch it on my computer!
amnestia
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2003 08:47
I loved Willow!That was one of the better movies my parents made me watch lol i still watch it to this day if i can find it on tv. um i have a url for all you willow fans it shows the movies Warwick has been in so far,do you know he was a golbin in Labyrinth?I didn't kow that till i went searching
try this link...

willow

[Edited on 31/3/2003 by amnestia]

[Edited on 31/3/2003 by k]
Lunahine
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2003 12:41
he was also in harry potter. wasn't he one of the goblins in the bank and then the teacher that taught levetation?
Ellendel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2003 08:27
I too am a Willow fan. Currently, I only own it on VHS, but am intending to buy it on DVD. I think that it is a quality piece of work when it comes to fantasy entertainment. I would also rank it as one of the best fantasy films ever.
Sassafras
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2003 06:56
I used to love Willow when I was younger. I watched it all the time. Val Kilmer looked soo good in it. The brownies were really funny and the baby was so pretty. Loved that red hair.
DaughterofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2003 07:57
Willow is one of my all time favorites. Val Kilmer as Madmartigan was the first movie star I ever had a crush on. Now it's Orli all the way but I'm getting off topic. The book was awesome to, though I can't say I enjoyed the sequels all that much. I don't like what they did with Willow's character.
Soulbound: Book 1 in the Song of Souls trilogy, http://tiny.cc/TheAdventureBegins
Nuavar~Lily~Lorin
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2003 08:00
I really liked the movie also. I've watched it several times, those brownies were very funny! I didn't know there was a DVD out... won't be able to watch it anyways. There's books for the story?

Nuav
DaughterofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2003 02:25
Yeah Willow was made into a book based off the screenplay. I really enjoyed it. the sequels seem to be another story. The fiorst was so boring that I couldn't finish it, and for me that is a rare thing.
Soulbound: Book 1 in the Song of Souls trilogy, http://tiny.cc/TheAdventureBegins
Swashbucklin_Hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2004 12:28
I think my favorite parts are when Fin-rizel bleats Ma-a-a-a-ad Maa-aa-rtigan, and when the brownies are yelling "I stole de bebe!"
I thought his name was Martigan too. It makes more sense that way. Did anyone else think Madmartigan's 'friend' Eric looked like Eomer?
I have to agree: Val Kilmer is pretty good looking!:drool:
Serenity
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2004 02:57
Willow ROCKS! It's pretty good for back in the 80's ya know? and it's funny. I like the brownie men! They crack me up! :disco: Also the guy who plays Willow does a very good job ya have to admit.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email