Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Kahlan
Council Member
Send Message
Post It all started with that book...(FREE)
on: December 12, 2004 05:34
"Where am I?" thought Iome. "I don't remember this place!"

"Who are you!" a great booming voice said. She couldn't quite tell where the voice came from. It seemed to come from all around her.

"I'm just a girl. My name's Iome. I don't know where I am or even why I'm here. The last thing I...remember...is. Oh No! I don't think I should even be here at all! The last thing I remember is opening this really strange book!" She looks around. "Who am I talking to?"
"If I think you should know you will hear it." said that big voice again. "As for where this is you shall also know in time if that is something you are meant to know. Right now I just want you to follow that path over to your left. At the end you should find someone to help you." Iome heard a little huff. "Though I don't know how much help you'll get."
Skunk
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: It all started with that book...(FREE)
on: December 12, 2004 07:33
[This could be fun...]
Iome began to realize she was in the middle of a large forest, with ginormous trees on every side. She found herself in a small little clearing, with a faint though visible path to her left. She followed it cautiosly and came across a woman, Vanwa.
[It seems prudent to note at this time that for those of you who are too lazy to click the link that Vanwa will NOT tell you her name, so you don't know it ^_^]
She was sleeping in a hammock strung between two trees, her Blade beneath her.
Kahlan
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2004 04:53
(Nice to meet you Skunk )

"Um...Hello?" said Iome as she came to the end of the path. "Excuse me? Who are you?" She said all of this very quietly of course. She could see that this person was sleeping and she didn't want to startle her. "I just got to this place." Iome thought. "I hope I don't do anything to get myself killed!"

Iome didn't quite know what to think about this human she saw. She didn't look like anyone she'd ever seen before. She had a blade for one thing.
Aflinny
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2004 05:15
Mind if I join? This sounds fun. My char is the Hobbit theif Alton Greenbottle, in the DB of course. ^_^ (Though I am curious, Skunk, what exactly is your avatar of?)

Alton crept along the forest floor, straining his ears to hear the voices he knew the footprints he was following belonged to. His hairy, large feet fell softly on the leaves and mud, and he kept a hand on his pouch to quiet it.

The Hobbit's most recent journey had taken him from the neighboring town into the depths of the forest in search of a bounty hunter. Alton was always greedy and looking for a way to gain wealth, whether by honest means or not. Despite his careful search, the theif had lost the bounty hunter's trail and had taken him on a new one entirely, a human female, he gathered from the size of the footprints.

Soon, Alton heard a soft female voice in the distance. He became more excited and his left ear twitched as it listened for the female voice again. When it did not come, he crept off into the direction he was sure it had come, always looking out for anything and everything. Amidst the trees he soon spotted what he was looking for: a female of some kind. He smiled greedily and crept closer, wary of danger.

[Edited on 15/12/2004 by Aflinny]
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2004 06:31
(OOC: Is it all right if I join in too? By the way, Skunk, I love your character, Vanwa's and especially her picture in the database!
My character is Aayla, also in the database. Check her out here:
Aayla
She is just a little girl, six years old, but wise beyond her years and she can display startling powers if threatened...Oh and most people mistake her for a boy when they first see her.)

Aayla stirred sleepily, pulling the furs closer around her to ward off the chill of the early morning."Mmmmmm..." she snuggled into the warm embrace of her bedroll, luxuriating in it's warmth. And that's when she heard it:

"WHO ARE YOU?"

Aayla nearly leaped out of her skin as the disembodied voice boomed through the trees. She jumped to her feet, awake in an instant, her heart beating wildly in her chest, and turning in all directions to find the source of the voice. But there was no one there... What in the world? Aayla wondered as she rubbed her small eyes. Was I dreaming?

"IF I THINK YOU SHOULD KNOW, YOU WILL HEAR IT!"

Aayla gasped, as the voice echoed around her once more, instantly dispelling any thoughts of it having been a dream. Know what? Now what have I gotten myself into she wondered as the voice continued, barely pausing for breath:

"AS FOR WHERE THIS IS, YOU SHALL ALSO KNOW IN TIME IF THAT IS SOMETHING YOU ARE MEANT TO KNOW."

This was ridiculous! Aayla turned in every direction as the voice spoke once more, but she couldn't, for the life of her, make out where it was coming from. It seemed to echo all around her without any source. Know where I am? I know exactly where I am, she thought angrily. Well, regardless of where the voice was coming from or what it meant by it's cryptic statements, she thought, disembodied voices weren't to be trusted. She needed to get out of here, and now! Aayla bent over and quickly rolled up her furs tying them to her pony who was tethered nearby. "There now, Blossom," she whispered as the pony twitched it's ears nervously. "We're going to get out of here right now!"

"RIGHT NOW, I JUST WANT YOU TO FOLLOW THAT PATH OVER TO YOUR LEFT. AT THE END, YOU SHOULD FIND SOMEONE TO HELP YOU..."

Blossom started as the voice boomed through the forest again and Aayla nearly fell off as she hurried to mount the pony. "Easy boy," she muttered as she fought to control the frightened animal. She was starting to realize that the voice wasn't really speaking to her: she couldn't see any path nearby, so it must be addressing someone else. Wonderful, she thought sarcastically, that means that there are TWO strangers nearby, and I haven't the slightest idea which direction either one of them is in. Oh well, whoever or whatever it is, we'll soon leave it behind, she thought, and turned Blossom's head preparing to gallop deeper into the woods and far away from the mysterious voice.

"THOUGH I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH HELP YOU'LL GET..."

This time, the voice sounded almost regretful: The words were spoken with a small sigh which seemed to rustle through the leaves above her. Aayla was beginning to get really spooked: holding the reins firmly, she was just about to kick Blossom to a gallop when a hobbit stepped out from between the trees, not ten paces in front of her. Instinctively, both Aayla and Blossom froze, scarcely breathing as the hobbit stepped forward, his back turned to them, apparently unaware of their presence. He seemed focused on something ahead, but Aayla's view was blocked by a large oak tree, and she couldn't make out what it was that had so completely captured the newcomer's attention.

Now what's this? Aayla thought irritably. First, her sleep had been shattered by a disembodied voice, and now she was apparently to be plagued by hobbits creeping in a most un-hobbitlike manner through the deep forest. "This is too much!" She spoke aloud and kicked Blossom into action, confident that the pony could easily outrun the hobbit.

[Edited on 14/12/2004 by GwennethSindalúnë]

[Edited on 23/12/2004 by GwennethSindalúnë]
Skunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2004 08:04
[I was right, this is going to be fun. First, some pleasantries.
@Kahlan: Nice to meet you too, nice to meet all of you in fact. I haven't seen any of you around, so welcome (from me) to these RP Forums. Also, Kahlan, if you don't mind I think (in my *cough* *cough* humble opinion) we have enough people and I have seen far to many threads die because there were hundreds and hundreds of ppl. So if you want to close it...
@Aflinny: Yay . A thief halfling. I LOVE playing those . As for my avatar. It is my first attempt at a head, and it's the eye and stuff. PM me and i'll tell you all about it (an show pictures )
@GwennethSindalúnë : I love Vanwa's pic. too. I should get the rendered version up soon, though I'm not sure I like how it turned out.
Now for the actual role-playing ...]

Great Valar what was going on? though Vanwa as she fell off her hammock and landed mere inches from her Blade, which she promptly picked up an brandished on whomever had so rudely woken her. As she stared, dumbfounded, at this girl who she couldn't really describe
[That might have SOMETHING to do with the fact that she doesn't have a profile...]
so she gave it her best shot: She was of around avarage height, but her clothes were so outlandish that she had to be some sort of sailor. Or one of the Valar? Before she had time to confront her, a pony shot out of the bushes, carrying an (ELF?) and persuing a very surprised-looking hobbit.
Finding the entire scene amushing and fairly harmless, Vanwa sat down on the edge of her braided hammock and waited for everyone to quiet down - which they did. Eventually.

[don' make us look bad, GwennethSindalúnë]
[i.e. don't write too much ]

[Edited on 14/12/2004 by Skunk]
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2004 04:31
[OOC: Skunk~ Does that mean YOU drew that picture of Vanwa? Hoooooley moooley! You are talented! I can barely produce a passable stick figure! *Is suitably impressed!*
Ummm...write too much? *sighs*... Sadly, I have long since been afflicted by the longwinded curse... I have a really hard time not going on and on and on and... well, you get the picture! I'll try to be more succinct though.
I've been RPing for 'bout a year now. My main thread is "It All Started At the White City Fair". It's a group of really, really, really talented RP writers, and I have learned a tremendous amount from all of them there! That's actually why I hopped into this thread: The similar title caught my attention.
I'm excited about this thread! I'm already having fun! So here we go... ]

Aayla kicked Blossom forward, and before the hobbit had a chance to even turn around, she sailed past him with a triumphant smile. So much for creeping hobbits and disembodied voices, she told herself: Blossom and I are getting out of here! She barely resisted the urge to turn around and stick her tongue out at the astonished hobbit. After all, she told herself, I'm six years old now, and I can't be acting like a baby any more. Instead, she let out a whoop of joy which she liked to think sounded like a fierce warrior's cry, but the sound died in her throat in the very next instant as she rounded the giant oak tree and saw, for the first time, what had so entranced the hobbit...

"By the gods of Rohan!" she exclaimed as Blossom came to an abrubt halt, nearly throwing her to the ground in the process. The pony had nearly ridden her smack into a hammock which held a tall and very fierce looking woman with the largest blade she had ever seen in her life. But the woman's gaze wasn't focused on Aayla: Instead, she was gazing, with a bemused look, at yet another newcomer who seemed to have appeared in the forest out of thin air. She was a girl, older than Aayla, but still too young to be called a woman. But what really caught Aayla's attention was the girl's attire: What in the world is she wearing? Aayla wondered as she stared at the strange garments. She had never seen anything like it. (erm, Kahlan, a umm description would be nice soon, smiles)

This is ridiculous, Aayla muttered to herself completely exasperated. Glancing around, she quickly ascertained that she was, in effect, surrounded. Directly in front of her, sat the warrior woman, her passage to the right was blocked by the giant oak, to the left stood the odd looking girl, and the hobbit was rapidly approaching now from the rear. Blossom was starting to panic, unused to such crowded situations and Aayla was forced to dismount before the pony could throw her. She spoke soothingly to her old friend as she stood, holding his bridle, wondering what was going to happen next.

Automatically, she calculated the odds of each one of the strangers being a threat to herself or Blossom: The hobbit was barely taller than herself, and she was confident that a stinging stone or two delivered deftly from her slingshot would make short work of him. The girl appeared to bear no weapons and the look on her face was so incredulous as she stood with her hands limply by her sides, she didn't appear to be threatening in the slightest, Aayla thought. On the other hand, this warrior woman with the giant blade was clearly a force to be reckoned with, although she didn't seem to be preparing herself to attack anyone just yet. Nervously, Aayla took a step backward, away from the hammock which still held the warrior, nearly stepping on the hobbit who was now standing just behind her, cutting off her escape route.

Since she was apparently not going to be able to leave just yet, Aayla gazed at the three strangers once more, and for the first time, something ocurred to her: None of these three could possibly be the source of the booming voice she had heard! The girl didn't even look as if she would be able to find her own voice as she stood there with her mouth agape, the hobbit couldn't have produced such a loud sound if he tried, and even the warrior woman couldn't possibly pitch her voice to ring so deep as that of a man. So did that mean there was a FOURTH stranger creeping around the woods this early morning, Aayla wondered? This day was rapidly turning into a nightmare! She pulled her fur vest closer around her and reached for her slingshot...just in case... She hoped the strangers would mistake her for a boy... It didn't pay to be appear to be a defenseless little girl caught wandering the woods alone.

Kahlan
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2004 12:52
(Firstly: Welcome all. I absolutely LOVE all your characters!!
Next, I'm kinda new to this kind of thing. This is also the first thing that I have actually started so (to Skunk) any pointers are nice and I don't know how to close it so if you mind telling me *grins, embarrased* that would be nice!
Finally, my character. I keep forgetting to actuall ydescribe myself. As you know Iome is just a girl, maybe 13 or 14. She is a bit shy, but a very determined little girl. She will always try to figure out what she needs to know. She makes friends easily. She has brown hair, brown eyes, and is about 5' tall. She's a bit stringy and often times she will fade into the background. She helps out whenever she can. She's a bit nervous, and scared of many things, but she's a fast learner. If you need any more information I'll try to get it posted. By the way, sorry this is so long. I've been asked if my character is in the DB before (what is that?) and I'm working on fixing the problem.
Now, back to the story)

Iome stood, gasping, as the person on the hammock in front of her woke up and picked up her blade, rounding on her. This person saw her and just stood staring at her. looking bemused. Iome's eyes opened wide then as she saw two more strangers enter the clearing. A little hobbit, she guessed (She'd read about them in her books), and a little boy on a horse? She couldn't tell. They all looked like creatures that she would find in an imaganary dream or something. The thought made her start. "Am I really dreaming?" she thought. She looked around the clearing. She still didn't know where that voice came from that had led her here. She was scared, and astonished, to find herself here at all, wherever HERE was.

"Um..." said Iome. Everybody seemed to be staring at her. "Why are they staring at me like that for?" Iome wondered. The hobbit, she was pretty sure it was a hobbit unless she was completely and uderly mistaken and it was a dwarf or just a short human with hairy feet, looked a little different from what she imagined a hobbit to look like. "I must just be having one extremely weird dream!" Iome thought desperately. "I don't think I should be here at all and all of this shouldn't be happening!" IOme realized that she had sunken to the ground at the bottom of a tree and was muttering to herself. She didn't care. She just wanted to know what was going on, and who these people were, and how to get home, and where she was, and why everyone was staring at her like that! She was nervous that all these strangers were here and she didn't know what to do.
Aflinny
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2004 03:24
(Hah, this is great. Oh, of course, Skunk, your avatar. I see it now. It looked like a moon or something under a cloak at first...Anyway. On we go.)

Alton carefully separated the bushes with his small but nimble fingers and peered up ahead. He was just starting to get a good look at the creature he was stalking when he heard a sound coming from behind him that startled him out of his wits.

Before he could even react, Alton saw the hooves of a horse-like creature sail over him and land a few feet in front of him. Alton stumbled forward out of the bushes just as he heard a whoop of some kind coming from the rider of the pony. It took a moment for him to compose himself, and when he was sure of his balance once again he stared with a bemused expression at the occupants of the clearing of trees he had just entered.

There was the pony and its rider, he saw right away, a young boy, it looked like. The next creature he spotted was what must have been the source of the young female voice, for a young girl it was indeed. Last, Alton's stare rested upon a fierce-looking woman with a blade nearly twice the size he was. He gaped at the three in front of him, his mouth hanging open, subconciously ashamed that his wariness had failed him. The Hobbit (caps or no?) thief had been caught, and he stared and waited, frowning at his defeat.

(Sorry mine's not as long as yours...~_^)
willowluvstara13
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 04:31
(MInd if I Join? Discord's in the DB.)

Discord stays in the trees above Iome, waiting for her chance to spring. She spots it as Iome steps backwards and a hobbit emerges from the shadows. SHe leaps down, blade in hand. She resheathes it when she sees there is no threat. She smiles. "Hello, I am Discord. Pleasure to meet you."

(And let me just say-Hi skunk remeber me? I'm Adaire from Laionell's rp)
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 07:10
Aayla nearly leaped out of her skin when a fourth stranger suddenly landed directly in front of her. NOW what was happening, she thought, increasingly exasperated. What kind of forest was this, full of disembodied voices, creeping hobbits, strange girls and warriors and where elves apparently fell from the trees? She glanced up, uncertain whether there might be other elves ready to crash down upon them, but the branches above didn't appear to hold any more falling beings. Of course "fall" was inaccurate, Aayla realized: The elf before them had landed nimbly on her feet with the impeccable timing and balance particular to her race.

"Hello, I am Discord. Pleasure to meet you!" said the elf brightly, as if unaware of how strange a situation she had leaped into. Her smile was genuine and as she beamed at Aayla, the little girl couldn't help smiling in return. Well, at least one of the strangers appeared friendly, she thought, which was more than she could say for the rest of them. The girl in the strange attire looked as if her eyes were going to pop out of her head, staring agape at first one and then the other of them, and the hobbit was eyeing Blossom's saddlebag in a way that made Aayla nervous. As for the warrior and her gigantic blade, Aaayla didn't even want to contemplate what might happen if she decided to make mincemeat of the lot of them...."Hobbit Stew" she thought, and had to repress a sudden urge to giggle madly.

Regaining control of herself, Aayla looked around again at the small group all eyeing one another nervously. She wondered if she should speak, risking being recognized as a little girl instead of a boy, or else mount Blossom and try to make a break for it. But it was the girl in the odd attire who caught her eye: She looked as if she didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Aayla was feeling pretty much the same way, especially when she realized that the arrival of this elf STILL didn't explain the source of the booming, disembodied voice. Aayla's natural sense of curiosity made her itch to understand what exactly was going on, so before she could think it through any longer, she blurted:

"Where is the man with the deep voice? I heard him through the trees. Have any of you seen him?" Her young voice rang out in the silence and she waited for an answer, wondering which one of the strangers would respond.
Skunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2004 04:09
{
"Hobbit Stew"... I like that...
@Kahlan: To 'close' somthing it means two things..
(a) having it not open (i.e. the big ALL CAPS 'FREE' in the title might say something ilke 'CLOSED'. You can do that by editing your first post and changing the title of that.
(b) having it be closed and have anyone else who joins
(i) add something special to the RP
(ii) PM you first for your permission
this just minimizes people popping up or falling from trees (I mean, jumping .. )
There is a FAQ or something on the DB, so go RTFM jk.
Look up. No, farther. Not THAT far... [RPG Characters], click it
right, cheers willow
}

Vanwa was confused. Very confused. It wasn't fair really. She was having a great day, up untill the splitting headache and the blister in her left pinkie-toe, and now this? Her mind tried to sort through all the information it had received in the last 10 or so posts {I mean, seconds}
She woke up to the sound of a girl's voice, she then was surprised by a small boy of no more than 5 on a similarly small pony. Then a hobbit came out from nowhere right behind. The strange girld was the center of attention, it seemed, untill an elf dropped out of the sky! This was suspicious, very suspicious. The enchantress and the hobbit must be working together, and maybe the child just got in the way. It seemed unlikely that the elf, if he was working with them, to drop down now, when he was so cleverly concealed. All in all, Vanwa was very suspicious, and cornered (not to mention outnumbered). And like her Toddem, the Great Panther, she was not very friendly when cornered. Deciding that although her Blade was very usefull (not to mention effective) its effect would be dampened when they all teamed up against her. Therefore she quickly put it away on her back and took out a dagger from her wrist and her throwing axe, ready.
When the girl talked, she flinched, but did not let up her intensity, silent.

[Edited on 17/12/2004 by Skunk]
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: December 17, 2004 12:56
Hi, just popping in to remind you that you need to start an ooc thread for any large ooc discussions that you may need to have for your rp.

also:
General Points

RP Threads can now be rated as either:-

Free:-any actions within the rules are acceptable

Scripted:-where the plot is known and discussed over PM before actions are taken, the plot being set by those that started the thread.

All New RPs should be open to all members. If you wish to join a scripted RP please ask permission of the thread originator.

This comes from the rules at the beginning of the rp forum. Before you discuss closing the rp to members, please keep in mind these rules.
Thanks
Kahlan
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2004 01:55
(CarolP I have read the rules. Still EXTREMELY new on this sort of thing. I read the rules, but I STILL can't figure out what the ooc IS let alone how to start anything in it. I know that's probably a stupid thing not to know, but any help you can give is great! Thank you!
And thanks to the rest of you who have helped me figure out how to list my character so everyone can read it. Thanks!)

Iome started. An elf had just jumped to the ground right in front of her! The other person that had been sleeping in the hammock looked ready to knock somebody's teeth out, and everyone else looked as if they didn't know what to do, what was going on, and wondering if they should just fight eachother. "How did I end up finding myself in what looks to be such a tough crowd?!" She still sat, muttering to herself. Her eyes went even wider when the little boy, or what she now thought was a little girl, said

"Where is the man with the deep voice? I heard him through the trees. Have any of you seen him?"

So that part hadn't been a dream. And the voice HAD told the truth about a person being at the end of this path.

Iome turned her head and looked at the girl. "You heard it too?" she said. Her voice was wavering a little bit and her eyes looked around wildly at everyone in the clearing. Not only was this strange, it was frightening, a bit funny, and bewildering. Iome let out a nervous giggle. Then she looked at the newcomer, the elf, who said his name was Discord. He looked friendly enough. He was even smiling! That felt pretty reasuring to Iome. "Do you know anything about the deep voice that both of us have heard? Do you know why I'm here? Is there any way you can help me figure out what's going on or how to get home or atleast find someplace that is safe? It's only, I kindof blanked out after reading this book at home and when I woke up I was here and I don't know what's going on and you are the only person here who isn't looking like they're going to murder someone or is staring at me really wierdly. Can you help?"

Iome glanced to the side, seeing a bit of movement. The person from the hammock had put away her blade and was now holding an ax and a knife. She looked back at Discord pleadingly. She liked his smile. Then she looked at everyone else, to see if there might be someone that might know something. When no one said a word she turned around and sat back against the tree again, wearily and started to cry.
Aflinny
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2004 04:33
Alton watched the creatures talk curiously. The young girl and newest elf seemed odd, but friendly, and the others were simply staring in wonder of what do make of each other, but the fierce-looking elf he would have to be wary of.

The strange girl started rambling, then sat down against the tree and sobbed. Alton watched with a frown, but a plan was forming in his greedy mind. The group of creatures were busy staring at the weeping girl; he could sneak into their purses and make a fast getaway without much notice. He was about to put this plan into action, when he observed the she-elf and her, now, two weapons. Alton, who had taken a step backward, froze at the sight of this. He would have to rethink his plan more carefully; he did not want either of the elf's weapon's coming at him.
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2004 05:39
After Aayla voiced her question, there was a long silence during which everyone looked at each other in suprise, apparently unsure of how to respond. The only sound was the sudden movement of the warrior woman, who exchanged her enormous blade for a dagger and a small axe. Did she somehow think that these would be more effective weapons against the source of the voice, Aayla wondered. As young as she was, she had already encountered more than a few unexplained things in her journeys and highly doubted that the booming voice would be daunted by the change in weaponry.

On the other hand, Aayla mused, the warrior looked slightly less fierce without her blade which must have been about twice the size of the little girl...slightly... Aayla still wasn't about to push her luck with the large woman, so she turned her gaze to the others. The quick way in which the hobbit's eyes flicked back from Blossom's saddle bags to meet her own didn't inspire confidence, so instead, she turned her eyes toward the girl in the strange attire. She appeared to be considering what Aayla had just said.

"You heard it too?" the girl answered haltingly, her eyes darting around at the strange group of companions before her. And then she giggled nervously, the incongruous sound echoing through the silence of the surrounding forest.She turned her gaze to the elf and, apparently throwing caution to the winds, pleaded: "Do you know anything about the deep voice that both of us have heard? Do you know why I'm here? Is there any way you can help me figure out what's going on or how to get home or at least find someplace that is safe?" Aayla frowned in disappointment: So the girl didn't know the source of the strange voice either. In fact, if anything, she seemed to be even more confused than Aayla herself. What did she mean by "why I'm here"? How could she be wandering the forest without any idea what she was doing there, Aayla wondered, confused.

The girl paused for only a second to take a breath and to gather her thoughts before continuing:"It's only, I kind of blanked out after reading this book at home and when I woke up I was here and I don't know what's going on and you are the only person here who isn't looking like they're going to murder someone or is staring at me really wierdly. Can you help?" Her voice petered out as she reached the end of her plea, apparently at a loss for what more to say. Aayla struggled to make sense of the girl's words. She claimed to have been reading a book at home and had then "blanked out". What did that mean? In Aayla's experience, not many people knew how to read, let a lone had the time to engage in such an unproductive activity in the middle of the day during harvest season. Was this girl the daughter of a lord, she wondered. But what young lady of rank would be found wandering the woods in such strange attire? It made no sense, and Aayla grunted in frustration.

Before she could begin to put any of her miriad of questions into words, the girl slumped back against the large tree she was sitting under and, to everyone's utter amazement, burst into tears! Aayla stared at her aghast: Didn't she know that it didn't pay to show weakness? Especially not in front of a group like this. Yet, the young woman's shoulders trembled as she sobbed into her hands, hiding her face, and Aayla's heart went out to her.

Well, she thought, this was as good an excuse as any to get Blossom's saddle bags away from the greedy looking hobbit, and so she led her pony forward, carefully repositioning him so that she stood between Blossom and the others. This gave her two advantages: First of all, she could easily intercept anyone who attempted to lay their hands on her meager posessions (not that she even wanted to consider "intercepting" the warrior woman who looked like she was just itching to try her throwing axe out on one of them), and second, it meant that Blossom now had a clear exit, should she decide that it was time to leave in a hurry.

Aayla bent down and tentatively placed a hand on the shoulder of the young girl who was still sobbing. The strange events of the morning were really starting to irk her, especially in the face of the continued silence of the group, and her temper flared. This was ridiculous! She needed some answers! Clearly, they all did. Deciding that it was high time to get some, she addressed each one of the group in turn:

"I do not know what you are doing here," she said to the girl, hoping she could hear her over her own sobs. "You have nothing to fear from me, in any case. I would only hurt you to defend myself. I will help you if I can." Ayla straightened up and looked around at the other three. We need introductions, she thought, even though the thought of revealing herself as a girl once and for all didn't make her happy. (OOC: after all, our story can't go any farther if all we do is stand around staring at each other as complete strangers, and refuse to speak to one another...)
"I am Ayla, formerly of Rohan," she began, frowning as she tried to decide how much to reveal. "I have been traveling Middle Earth for over a year now, since..." she hesitated, unsure of whether or not to reveal the gruesome massacre of her entire village which had led her to flee from her home. "...since I left my home" she finished, deciding to keep that piece of information for later. Certainly, it had nothing to do with the strange events at hand. "I was asleep in a clearing over there when a booming voice woke me up," she continued. I couldn't tell which direction it came from, and so Blossom and I went to see if we could find the source. That's when we bumped into you lot."

Now came the delicate part, Aayla thought, but her still childish temper made her reckless: "You," she said, pointing now to the warrior woman, and trying not to let her hand tremble. (Well if she was going to die, she might as well get it over with, she thought). "Were you asleep as well?" Gesturing, to the woman's hammock upon which she still sat. "Did you hear the voice? Do you know it's source?"

"And you, the elf," she continued, "where did you come from? Why were you hiding up that tree? Do you know where the speaker we heard went?"

"And you, hobbit", Aayla met the sly gaze of the creature who matched her in height. "What are you doing so far from the Shire? It's rare to see hobbits alone in the woods. Do you know what is going on?"

Aayla finished, looking each one in the eye once more and waited to see which one would be the first to answer.

Aflinny
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2004 06:22
Alton jumped slightly as the little boy (or was it a girl?) pointed one of her questions at him: "What are you doing so far from the Shire? It's rare to see hobbits alone in the woods. Do you know what is going on?"

The hobbit straightened and furrowed his eyebrows. This creature was far to curious for his liking. Should he tell them, he wondered? As the other creatures seemed to be pondering this same question, Alton wrestled with himself. Finally, with a huff he said, "I came from the small town back there." He pointed with his small thumb over his shoulder. "I'm lookin' for..." He paused as he decided how to answer this. "I'm lookin' for a friend of mine," he finished confidently.

[Edited on 19/12/2004 by Aflinny]
Skunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2004 08:13
{
No worries. here is the link to the OOC (Out Of Character .. Discussion) It is in the Ooc Forum.
You might want to edit your first post and put that in it.. or not

}

Vanwa (the human, standing next to her hammock)(re-read above ) was confused. Very, very confused.
And, to make things interesting, bond us even more with each other and move this story along: a score of blood-thirsty goblins broke through the trees from the East, and the fun began...

[Edited on 19/12/2004 by Skunk]
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2004 07:35
Goblins?!!!!!!!!!! Aayla felt as if she were losing her mind...what little of it was left after the ridiculous events of that morning, that was. The warrior woman looked confused: very, very confused. But there wasn't time to just stand around getting analytical at the moment... an entire band of blood-thirsty goblins was enough to occupy anyone's thoughts.

Leaping onto Blossom's back, Aayla whipped out her slingshot and immediately began to dispatch the goblins one by one with her deadly accurate aim. She knew from experience that the best way to stop a goblin in his tracks (other than cutting him entirely in half which seemed to be the method of choice for the warrior woman who suddenly no longer looked quite so confused...instead she looked angry, very very angry, although a hint of a smile on her lips told Aayla that she was enjoying herself...perhaps a tad too much?) in any case, the best way to dispatch a goblin from a safe distance with a slingshot was to aim for the soft spots on either side of their heads, where their temples, should they have posessed them, would have been. And so Aayla hit one goblin after another in the side of the head, reaching into the pouch on her side for another stone as soon as she had flung the last.

At the moment, she felt like smacking the lot of them: all of the strangers who had appeared mysteriously, crept silently, and fallen from trees into her nice peaceful forest and ruined what would have otherwise been a perfectly nice morning. So she took out her frustration on the goblins instead, the satisfying smacking sound as each one fell unconscious to the ground, helping her to hold back the temper tantrum which threatened to overwhelm her at any moment.
Aflinny
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2004 08:11
Alton snapped to attention as the roar of the approaching goblins met his ears. He looked about wildly for a place to hide, for he knew nothing of fighting. His search finally led him to a tall tree with a dense covering of branches. As quickly as he could, before the goblins made lunch out of him, Alton scrambled up the side of the tree and hid himself in its blanket of leaves, watching the battle that unfolded before him. It seemed to him to be one-sided, in favor of the warrior woman and the little child atop the horse, who were making quick work of the goblins ahead. But all Alton could think of was how much easier it would be to pickpocket these creatures when they were finished off.

Yes, Alton isn't the most brave of creatures...quite the coward and greedy little thing. But I love him. ^_^ I doubt a battle will bond him to anybody...
willowluvstara13
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2004 08:36
(Sorry! Discord here)

Discord curtsies. "I am Discord, of Lorien. I too heard a strange voice in these woods."
Kahlan
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2004 03:48
Iome heard a strange noise nearby. She looked up and stopped crying immediately. There was a band of goblins coming into the clearing now. Her eyes went wide and she inched around the tree she was leaning on. On the ground was a sharp rock and she grabbed it, just incase one of the goblins came around the tree. She didn't know if she would actually be able to kill it, but she didn't feel safe just sitting there with nothing to protect herself. This world was getting wierder and wierder. Atleast she now knew the name of the little boy, or girl, she thought. And she knew the name of the elf that dropped from teh tree.

Iome heard the goblins coming closer and just freaked. SHe squeaked, got up, and started running away. She ran fast, but stayed on teh path. SHe didn't want to get lost in this place.

"I hope they do alright." she thought. She knew they were just about total strangers still, but she didn't want anybody to get killed. Especially by a pack of bloodthirsty goblins.
Kahlan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2005 02:16
(Hello? Anybody there? Oh, and I have Iome in the Character database, along with a picture, though it isn't very good.)

[Edited on 11/1/2005 by Kahlan]
Skunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2005 03:49
{roit...}
Vanwa merely glanced at the hordes of goblins as they charged at them, screaming and whooping. She turned and unclipped her Sword, laying her hand on it's huge hilt. Then, with her Sword still resing in its sheath, she waited for the first hapless gobin. When he came at her, teeth bared and black, sword chipped and grimy, she just looked him in the eye and waited. At the last possible moment she swung her Sword down then up, using its momentum to slice cleanly though the leather clothing of the goblin at his side and carry all the way to his other shoulder. Then, spinning and dancing she cut through the rest of the goblins. One by one, two by two they fell around her.
In no time they were all dead, and Vanwa turned to the rest of the makeshift party.
"Where's the witch?" she asked, as she sat down on her hammock and began wiping her blade. Without wating for a reply, she contined, "and where did you learn to shoot like that, boy?"
willowluvstara13
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2005 03:13
Discord smiles. "Sorry, I'm a little confused. Witch? You mean like Galadriel?"
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2005 06:09
The battle was over as quickly as it had begun. Aayla stepped over the nearest goblin, or half goblin, she amended mentally as she tried not to look too closely at the limp form on the ground.
"Where's the witch? And where did you learn to shoot like that, boy?" It was the warrior woman, who was calmly wiping her gigantic blade clean as if nothing had happened. "Around..." responded Aayla shortly. But a slight smile lit up her small face. She always did love it when people mistook her for a boy. "My father taught me," she amended. "He always said I could hit a bird in flight from a hundred paces..."
"You mean like Galadriel?" the elf interjected suddenly. Galadriel? Who was that, Aayla wondered. She had never heard the name before.

[Edited on 14/1/2005 by GwennethSindalúnë]
willowluvstara13
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2005 03:06
((ooc-Actually Discord is the one who said Galadriel, and she's an elf. Sorry!))

"What do you mean witch?"
Kahlan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2005 08:03
Iome heard the people talking back in the clearing but was still to scared to move from behind her tree. She didn't know how far away she was, and didn't know if there were any more goblins. She was frozen in place and simply decided to stay there. Maybe someone would come looking for her. Maybe someone would....Maybe some....Mayb... and with that she fell asleep out of fright and exhaustion.
Kahlan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2005 05:52
Iome jerked awake suddenly. She had heard a loud snap of a twig being stepped on. She made sure she didn't make a sound. She gripped her sharp stone more tightly in her fist and then, steeling herself for whatever might be beyond the tree, she stood up slowly and sprang out from behind, twisting her body so that she could see what she was facing. But she didn't see anything. She stared, confused. Wasn't someone supposed to be there? At the least she had expected to see someone from the clearing back there, but she saw no one. SHe supposed she must have run farther away than she thought. To wander now could be deadly. She held her stone tightly and walked in a straight line, back the way she had come. She had barely taken two steps when she heard voices.

"Where's the witch?" she heard. She wondered who it might be and stood still, listening.
Skunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2005 08:44
"No, Galadriel is no witch. This talk bores me," she said, as she began packing her hammock - rolling it up and storing it on her person, "
Kahlan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2005 05:46
Iome stood frozen behind the tree. She knew it was the voices of the people she had been with. Apparently they were talking about Galadriel being a witch? She didn't quite know. She wondered if they had even noticed she was gone. And she was hungry. Her stomach was rumbling so loud she was surprised that no one could hear her. She looked around, trying to find some nuts, or berries, that looked familiar.
Skunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2005 10:01
Without waiting for a reply, Vanwa finished packing her things and headed off after that fool girl. She didn't even look back to see if her new.. aquaintances .. were following. Within seconds she came upon the girl, huddling in a corner. Lifting her up roughly, she began to walk with her due west.
Tell me about your story, girl, I'm interested.
As they walked, Vanwa casually cleaned her blade, seemingly oblivious to anyone who may be following.
Kahlan
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2005 04:45
(Oh, thank you SOOO much for replying! I was worried that you had all forgotten about this thread! And I think I'm gonna close it now...like you suggested earlier, to keep too many people from coming. What do you think?)

*Iome gasped as the person she had first seen in the clearing picked her up roughly and started carrying her off.*

Tell me about your story, girl, I'm interested. she said.

*Iome looked nervously at her. SHe didn't know what to say.*

Ummmm....my, my story? *she stuttered, suddenly very frightened. The person had so many weapons! She looked nervously at them for a moment and then tried to get her courage back.* You...you mean the book I was reading? *she asked, scared.* Well...I, I had just picked it off a shelf in my parents room. It had an interesting cover..it was like..like...I don't know. I can't really seem to describe it. You couldn't actually see a definite picture on it, the picture kept moving seemingly and it looked fuzzy. But I took it and opened it up and started reading....*she paused here. SHe furrowed her eyebrows trying to think.* It talked about a forest, and orcs and goblins and elves, things I had only dreamed of. It caught my attention right away. But then...I , I guess I fell asleep because the next thing I remember I was in this forest and there was a big booming voice that told me to follow a path that led me straight to you. *she tried to look at the person's face, scared that she would not accept her story or something, but then she stared at hte ground.*

(Alright, Skunk if that wasn't what you were asking for just tell me and I'll edit my post, okay?)
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email