Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Rivendell47
Council Member
Send Message
Post Helpful ways in learning the vocabulary?
on: January 04, 2005 03:33
Hi! Does anyone know any good ways that I can remember the Sindarin vocabulary? I am very new at this!
passionelf
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Helpful ways in learning the vocabulary?
on: January 04, 2005 09:52
Aye i can use some input from the more experienced sindarin speakers on how they came to memorise vocabulary if in any specific way but for now i just type random words in dragonflames dictionary
Glorfindeil_sindar
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2005 10:50
LOL! You can try speaking with your self!
Well, may be it's not the best way, but I mostly learn that way! You can also try to read a translations made by others! {It's even better when you don't read English translation and try to translate it to English on your own!}
If you feel "braver" you can try translating some texts, but you propably will meat "The problem of making new Sindarin words"! :angel:
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: January 05, 2005 01:40
On the Extra Elvish Practice page here http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Content&file=index&action=ViewContent&cid=2, you can practice your vocabulary with Word Find and Word Scramble games. There are also two "memory" devices you can download that are excellent for helping to memorize vocabulary.
passionelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2005 03:11
thanks again lol,you sure are out here to help people.
Rivendell47
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2005 05:57
Wow! Thanks so much you guys! Now i have so much to try! ah!! Fun!!
passionelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2005 01:39
I'm still picking random words out of the dragonflames dictionary but does anyone have any solid advice on what sort of vocabulary i should start off with such as colors,days,months etc etc to help me get used to plurals and all that.
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: January 07, 2005 03:18
Have you tried going through the Vocabulary lists in the Sindarin Workbook? Also, there's a list of select Quenya and Sindarin words at Ardalambion's article A Taste of Elvish.
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2005 02:42
Fíriel,
Thanks for that Ardalambion link. I hadn't seen it before! Also, Passionelf and friends, one of the things I did was go to Staples (or any office supply store) and buy a couple of spiral bound decks of index cards. I write the Sindarin word on one side and the English translation on the other, then keep them handy (coffee table in livingroom, car, etc.) I can flip though and learn vocab during commericals or while stuck in traffic. When I feel competent with one deck, I make up a new one. (Don't throw the old one away; you'll need to go back as a refresher occasionally.)
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
passionelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2005 03:19
Thanks alot i think all of the given advice will help me beyong belief!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email