Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
passionelf
Council Member
Send Message
Post phrase help
on: January 13, 2005 11:19
How would one say "I love you" in sindarin.I was also wondering if there was a word for "you"
Erynriel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: phrase help
on: January 14, 2005 05:19
The word for you is le. Like in Hannon le (Thank you) (Btw.: lín = your(/thy); le(n) = you(/yourself/thee/thyself)

So I love you would be: Le melin

You can also say this a little bit more romantic.... what about:

You have my love........Gerich veleth nîn
I will love you forever......Le melithon anuir
My heart is in your hands.....Guren mi gaim lín
Your radiant eyes conquered my heart......Hin gelair lín orthernir 'uren :love:
You take my breath away........Mabal chwest/thûl nîn

I hope I could help you.
Uialdil_i_degilbor
Elvish Scribe
Send Message
on: January 14, 2005 08:44
I love you would be: Le melin

Actually, we don't have an attested verb 'to love' in Sindarin, but we do have Noldorin mela-. It seems likely that it would go into Sindarin unchanged, but in that case, mela- would be a derived verb, so the correct form would be le melon.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: January 14, 2005 02:02
I love you would be: Le melin

Actually, we don't have an attested verb 'to love' in Sindarin, but we do have Noldorin mela-. It seems likely that it would go into Sindarin unchanged, but in that case, mela- would be a derived verb, so the correct form would be le melon.

Not only that, but - if memory serves, JRRT's definition of it was "to love as a friend"... which is not quite the 'deep' meaning that one usually thinks of in context with 'I love you'.

Personally, I prefer "Gerich veleth nín".
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Uialdil_i_degilbor
Elvish Scribe
Send Message
on: January 14, 2005 06:19
if memory serves, JRRT's definition of it was "to love as a friend"... which is not quite the 'deep' meaning that one usually thinks of in context with 'I love you'.

However, the CE stem MEL- also yielded the Sindarin words melethron and melethril (the masculine and feminine word for 'lover'), which are words that convey a non-platonic sense of 'love'.

Personally, I prefer "Gerich veleth nín".

I prefer to avoid the highly hypothetical -ch ending. I have my own idea concerning the untranslated Túrin wrapper inscription, and I doubt that agorech is a second person singular verb form. Why would Rían say to her infant son, "What did you do?" That seems a rather unlikely thing to ask a baby.
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: January 14, 2005 07:08
Why would Rían say to her infant son, "What did you do?" That seems a rather unlikely thing to ask a baby.

Really? I've heard it used plenty of times, although usually in a rhetorical sense... Okay, I'll stop being silly -- for expressions of love, le annon veleth nín, 'I give to you my love', might suffice, since there's nothing _too_ controversial about it.
passionelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2005 07:04
Im going to ask here cause I dont intend to flood the forum with too many topics But how would you say "beutiful" Cause i cant seem to find it in Coe's dictionary nor dragonflames.
passionelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2005 07:14
Oh and ive been meaning to ask.If i was to tell someone "keep hope" would i say heb estel,or would heb turn into hev?
Uialdil_i_degilbor
Elvish Scribe
Send Message
on: January 20, 2005 08:17
Im going to ask here cause I dont intend to flood the forum with too many topics But how would you say "beutiful" Cause i cant seem to find it in Coe's dictionary nor dragonflames.

Bain = beautiful.
Uialdil_i_degilbor
Elvish Scribe
Send Message
on: January 20, 2005 08:18
Oh and ive been meaning to ask.If i was to tell someone "keep hope" would i say heb estel,or would heb turn into hev?

You would need to use the imperative: Hebo estel.
passionelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2005 06:50
Thanks a million man!
passionelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2005 12:12
How would one say "your beutiful" ?
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
on: January 27, 2005 08:34
"You're beautiful" could be expressed as "Le bain", or "Le vain", with the adjective lenited (there are different opinions on which one would be most "correct"... so it could also be put as "Bain le", to avoid that discussion )
passionelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2005 05:57
Hannad
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email