Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
lightofEarendil
Council Member
Send Message
Post Would it be possible to get some help?
on: January 31, 2005 04:03
Hello, I'm new here and I couldn't find a word that I am looking so desperately for in Sindarin.

Would anyone know what the word "stranger" would be? I'm assuming yes, but I'd rather ask than assume.
Erutanie_Litsos
Obnoxious Futbol Maharishi & Local Fremen
Send Message
Post RE: Would it be possible to get some help?
on: January 31, 2005 06:22
I couldn't find an exact word for "stranger", but perhaps randír which means "wanderer", or penvar which *if I am correct* means "without-home". Pen = "without" + Bar lenited to Var = "home". Am I correct in how I developed that compound word?

Tanie

Edit: So confusing...<> for HTML tags, or []...

[Edited on 1/2/2005 by Erutanie_Litsos]

gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: February 01, 2005 04:00
Actually, bar is one of those 'special cases' words, formed from the primitive root 'mb', so when lenited it is bar>mar.

So then it would be pen-mar or even perhaps [/i]'pemmar'[/i]? Would the 'n' of 'pen' change to 'm' in that case? (still often confused in this, lol!) Anyone have a thought/answer?
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Aelgas
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2005 07:41
I would, and do, treat pen like ben so combined with bar gives pembar for 'homeless' - which to me just sounds 'right'.

But I'm no expert.
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: February 01, 2005 01:01
IMHO, pembar sounds nice to me, although I'm not sure if bar would undergo lenition in a looser compound. I have seen people use pen to lenit or nasally mutate the following word though.
Uialdil_i_degilbor
Elvish Scribe
Send Message
on: February 01, 2005 01:35
Regardless of what pen + (m)bar would produce, would 'homeless' really be a synonym for 'stranger'? Just because I don't recognise someone, I don't automatically assume he has no home.
Aelgas
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2005 01:57
True. How about penammen 'without us' or ú-ammen 'not us'.

Just to come back to the (m)bar thing briefly though. Although it's only actually en that loses the 'n' as far as I know. I think that as B is a voiced P the temptation to voice adjacent N to M would be irresistable.
LightoftheEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2005 02:07
Ai! Henion.

That post above was done by me, I found out how to do accents on my keyboard and so I had to change the whole thing.

Le hannon.

I only know very simple phrases. And I use them in my fanfictions, wherever I can. I am very picky and for me the language HAS to be correct.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email