on: February 06, 2005 05:48
It's...okay. Nothing special to me O_o

~ Grima
Brethil
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Arwens song
on: February 06, 2005 05:57
I LOVE THAT SONG! its so beautiful makes me feel sad and happy at the same time...bit strange really.
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2005 10:26
Same here, Brethil. I can see the positive side of what she's singing, for her kin anyhow, & the negative.
It wasn't brilliantly sung however, but there's just something about it I like.. can't put my finger on it.
IntotheWest23
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2005 10:42
it's really pretty. she sang it well. :heart:
Muzzy
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2005 11:22
I LOVE the song. I do think Liv Tyler has a beautiful voice as well. The tune, lyrics, melody totally suited the Houses of Healing. I only wish it was longer. Howard Shore needs to release a bonus LOTR soundtrack with all those fantastic tracks that never made it onto the original three.
Nick_5
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2005 03:24
I think it was a beautiful song...Liv Tyler has a pretty voice. The song was really good for the Houses of Healing.
Lozadora
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 07, 2005 06:21
I also really liked the song, it completely suited the mood of the scene and fitted in perfectly. I like the words to it, it has a bittersweet effect
Child_of_Lúthien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2005 08:31
I think that is is very, very pretty.
luthienkenobi
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2005 05:55
I absolutely loved this song...I have it on my computer. I think that it fit the scene...well...better than the scene it was originally going to be in...Arwen's Vision.
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: February 08, 2005 05:38
it's beautiful! it fits very well in that scene. i loved it! :love:
Illuin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2006 07:21
loved the song the first time I heard it! Does anyone know whether it's on iTunes or where I can download it??
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2006 07:35
Arwen-Undomiel has it available for download here (left hand side near the end of the page)
Illuin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2006 08:27
thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!! :love:
I'm in love with it even though it's so short
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2006 08:33
It is a beautiful song :love:
Lothlorian1988
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2006 10:41
I really like this song, to me it sums up the relationship between Aragorn and Arwen. I dont know if anyone else will agree with me, but its almost like she is singing about the fact that she wants to be with Aragorn but cant. The song also shows that Liv has deffiently got the same talent as her dad Steve.
Princess_Sailasiri
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2006 12:51
Its beautiful. There's a wistful quality about it that I really like.
Sweet~Athelas
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2006 03:38
I absolutely :heart: it! It really fits the HoH. It's also a little ironic that they would have Arwen sing while Eowyn was being healed by Aragorn and smiled at by Faramir, sort of in the way that the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen was written by Eowyn and Faramir's grandson Barahir.
Slayer_of_Evil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2006 02:36
Could've been done better with music only. The words weren't necessary. It really took up a scene it didn't need to.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 22, 2006 10:34
Arwen and Aragorn met about 60 or more years before Éowyn showed up and they loved each other (well, he loved Arwen) from that first meeting. A love deeper than most loves, beyond death and desperation. It is the theme that comes back in Tolkien's stories. Beren and Lúthien, Eärendil and Elwing, Arwen and Aragorn. Éowyn should be a nice relief for a while, but his true love still should be Arwen:love:.

[Edited on 22/3/2006 by Mara]
Slayer_of_Evil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2006 03:32
Arwen and Aragorn met about 60 or more years before Éowyn showed up and they loved each other (well, he loved Arwen) from that first meeting. A love deeper than most loves, beyond death and desperation. It is the theme that comes back in Tolkien's stories. Beren and Lúthien, Eärendil and Elwing, Arwen and Aragorn. Éowyn should be a nice relief for a while, but his true love still should be Arwen:love:.

Arwen only loved Aragorn after she discovered he was to be king.

Aragorn also doesn't tell Eowyn that Arwen exists so leaving Eowyn to think Arwen is either:

1. a mother figure
2. a sister figure
3. his dog
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 25, 2006 09:00
Arwen only loved Aragorn after she discovered he was to be king.

Aragorn also doesn't tell Eowyn that Arwen exists so leaving Eowyn to think Arwen is either:

1. a mother figure
2. a sister figure
3. his dog

I could say a lot of nasty things about your remarks, but I decided that the most likely opinion of the professor about this means a lot more to me than yours. So have fun with making fun.
Slayer_of_Evil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2006 03:14
I could say a lot of nasty things about your remarks, but I decided that the most likely opinion of the professor about this means a lot more to me than yours. So have fun with making fun.

I'll bet you could. I bet you could.

Arwen was only and afterthought of Tolkien and her role was pushed up for the movies. Pity Tolkien isn't here to give us his opinion on Arwen or her song.

And yes, my friends and I do have fun making fun of Arwen. Thanks for the well wishes. :love:
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 27, 2006 08:39
No thanks.
Arwen was only and afterthought of Tolkien and her role was pushed up for the movies.
Well, this is something one can find in the appendices to the dvd's, explained and all.

However, I think you are doing the professor wrong to call (the story of Aragorn and) Arwen an "afterthought". As most of us know, he was never finished with the story, always adjusting it, adding things and sometimes reject whole bits. But luckily, the story and its appendices is open to be interpreted by everyone who reads it in her or his own way. Which makes it so very special, I presume.
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2006 05:00
It's a beautiful song I don't feel like it was the most appropriate song to play during Eowyn's healing scene in the HoH. The filmmakers kept saying that it was good to put it there because it connects to two women, but generic lyrics does not a connection make.
Slayer_of_Evil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2006 05:54
As it still stands she appears mostly in the appendices. In Tolkien's original drafts Arwen didn't even exist. It was only in later drafts he decided to create her character. He didn't even put her in most of the book. Just at the end. This has gone through much discussion between me and my friends.

All she really does is sit and sew and look pretty.
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: March 29, 2006 08:58
Guys, let's keep this to discussion of the song, please
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: March 29, 2006 09:31
Arwen and Éowyn needed a moment of connection, a moment where we could see these two women together, and see how they are similar and how they are not. The movie needed this, because they had altered both Éowyn's and Arwen's actions (note: didn't say a word about their characters ) so much that it actually became debatable with whom Aragorn belonged.

However, I think in this moment Aragorn and Arwen connect in a way that Éowyn and Aragorn could never do; and it shows how Arwen and Aragorn belong together, while Éowyn belongs somewhere else.
In healing Éowyn, Aragorn shows that he is more than a mere mortal: he has inherited something, that makes him rise above all those of his kin. He is the one that holds the future of his race. Likewise, Arwen is the Evenstar. She is, in Middle-earth, the hope of her people. She belongs with Estel.

I also think that the song holds a sadness and compassion that isn't necessarily aimed at Éowyn, but that could be seen as a form of understanding between these women, who are both willing to sacrifice a lot for those they love.

Just my two cents.
Lady_Dreamer
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2006 03:42
It's a lovely song.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: April 14, 2006 08:56
Yeah, it's an awesome song. When I first heard it, I kid you not, I sat bolt upright, yelled, "Hit pause and subtitles!" and wrote it down right there. I've got it and all the other songs memorized.
ThorinOakensheild
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2006 10:11
is anyone else a member of arwenundomiel.com?
AranelAeariel
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Arwens song
on: July 02, 2012 05:15
i have been on it but havent jioned.
dwellerofthewest
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Arwens song
on: November 07, 2012 01:39
I am!