Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
Post -x-Through Hell and High Water-x- *Free RP, good writers needed!*
on: February 10, 2005 03:35

Winter came early... Teveldin thought dourly as he trudged his way through the snow.

Normally he would have been able to walk on top of it as easily as if it had been solid soil, but now the snow was so thick that every time he set down one leather-booted foot an inch of flakes would have flurried around it before he picked it back up again. It had been alarming at first, but as it had not picked up velocity, it was now merely annoying. He was cold, tired, and soaked to the bone, and the fact that Aldaron, the giant wolf dog that had "adopted" Teveldin years ago, seemed to actually be enjoying the hellish weather shortened the elf's temper immensely.

"Stay close." He murmured unnecessarily to the wolf as Aldaron brushed against his leg.

To wander in this weather would be certain death, and Aldaron was not apt to pay close attention to Teveldin in any case. The wolf was his own master, and although they understood each other, the dog was given to disappearing into the wilds for long periods of time, especially in the summer: Sometimes for weeks at a stretch. Right now Teveldin wanted the wolf close at hand for company, but for one other reason in particular: his senses. Wargs and wolves abounded in this part of the country, between Rivendell and the Misty Mountains, and in this blizzard Teveldin was not sure even his keen elven senses would detect their approach until it was too late. His tall grey stallion, Sar, trailed behind on the end of the reins, and as uncomfortable as the weather was, Teveldin had no wish to become a handy meal for wild animals if he could help it. Aldaron would sense the precense of other living creatures, even in the heavy snowfall, and Teveldin paid close attention to the dog now-- at least when his massive bulk had not disappeared into the flurry.

His deep green orbs peered ahead into the sheets of blinding white, seeking some glimpse of color to break the monotony of snow. He was tall and trim, not necessarily very broad but as quick and as dangerous as a cat. He had sharp green eyes and long, dark-black hair, worn in the traditional elven style. He wore dark ranger-like clothes with an elven flair, tall leather boots, and a long hooded cloak which he kept pulled up over his face at all times to hide his elven features: Usually a convenient fact to keep to himself. His past was somewhat of an enigma even to himself, but he had laid up with the rangers one winter many years ago. Afterwards, finding them the only family he still had, he became one of them, and he was happy with his new life, albeit a tad unsatisfied with his disturbingly blank past.

He had not really expected to actually sight anything on his visual scouting, so he blinked, surprised, when he found a tall log wall looming before him. He looked down to find Aldaron at his side again, his ears peaked as he sniffed the building in interest. Teveldin turned his attention back to the same, and led Sar left along the wall, seeking an entrance.

What he found was a tiny shack, obviously a makeshift stable, with two stalls and a little dusty hay on the ground. Surveying it, he found it to be weather tight and sturdy, and so he had no qualms about temporarily tying Sar in one of the stalls and scraping together some hay for him to busy himself with while Teveldin explored.

Exiting the stable and continuing along the wall, he whistled to call the now-absent Aldaron close to his side. Reaching the corner and the next wall, he found a dirty window, through which nothing could be seen of the residence within, and a little further on, a door. Hesitantly, the elf knocked-- once, twice. There was no answer. The door itself was small and wooden, creaking open easily when Teveldin tried the handle. He bent his head under the low doorframe to glance inside, a little apprehensive about entering a stranger's home without permission, but knowing he might not be able to survive the weather much longer outside if it continued like this...

There was a tiny, empty room, with a small oil lamp hanging from the ceiling, swinging in the brisk air the elf's entrance had introduced. Despite the flames diminished size, he could clearly see that the room, although clean, was bare of occupants. A table and two chairs on one wall, a fireplace, and a set of bunks at the other completed the rooms drab furnishing. It seemed empty... But then, why would the lamp be lit? Turning to glance back out the door with a frown, Teveldin wondered if the master of the house could be caught out in the blizzard somewhere, and if so, should the elf go out to look for them?

Puzzled and troubled, Teveldin stood undecided for many moments. Presently, Aldaron took his master's hesitation as an open invitation and trotted into the room. Finding the hearth suitable, the huge wolf shook briskly and curled up on the rug in front of the fireplace, giving his elven companion a questioning look once comfortable as if wondering why he did not shut the door before the blizzard invited itself in. Heavy-hearted, the elf did so.

Later... He thought to himself, Later, if no-one has returned, I will go out to search. Right now he was simply too weary, and he needed to warm himself before he would be able to find the reserved strength to brave the snow again.

-x-

(((Enough of a start? Right y'all, please join-- But *please* keep it realistic! No perfect, all-powerful warrior-elf characters as so many people tend to play, and the longer the posts, the better! Someone can play the cabin's occupant(s) stuck out in the blizzard, or the same coming back, or another traveller... The possibilities are endless! All right, that's all for now, and join away!)))

~Tev

[Edited on 25/03/1990 by ~Teveldin~]
Flash
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: -x-Through Hell and High Water-x- *Free RP, good writers needed!*
on: February 10, 2005 06:20
((great first post, I have to join, I'll be using my char Shalimar She's a feral, meaning a human with her dna spliced with that of an animal, in her case, a feline. Let me know if she's okay to use!))

Shalimar pulled her long cloak closer around herself as she worked on getting back to her temporary home. She was freezing her butt off on her attempt to get wood. The feline feral was cursing herself for not stocking up earlier. She had known the snow would come early, but she didn't think enough to be prepared early. She wished she would have brought her sword with her, but she figured in this weather, who would she possibly meet?

The pretty blonde hooked her unevenly curled hair behind her ears, her honey colored eyes squinting to see through the glare. "This is pathetic." She mumbled to herself. She had many animal companions, but she didn't know where any of them were. Her horse Citia was probably hiding somewhere warm, and as for her feline companions; the white tiger Mohan and the large bengal tiger Ruh, they were probably off doing their own thing as they often were. She worried about the lion cub Arjuna, he was still young and she wasn't sure he knew how to find proper shelter in a storm such as this.

Shalimar's eyes shifted to a golden yellow, her pupils becomming cat-like slits. She was now able to see thermal images of things in front of her. Relief washed over her as she caught the warm glow of the cabin. Only one problem, there were occupants inside. She snarled subconsciously at the thought of people in her territory and not having her weapons.

She crept to the door, her eyes still glowing. She heard noise from the stalls, thinking at first it was Citia. The unfamilar whinnie put an end to that thought. Where were those stupid ferrets, Kodo and Podo when she needed them?

As usual, they were curled up in a bundle of blankets keeping warm. Shalimar took a deep breath and opened the door as quietly as she could, sneaking up behind the person who was inside. She noticed a large wolf in the corner, which caused her to growl. It's not that she hated dogs, it's that they didn't like her much. The dog looked at her, alerting his friend.

Thinking quickly, Shalimar grabbed her sword, which was luckily laying nearby. Her cloak was soaked with snow and slowing her movements, but she was still very agile and quick. Chittering was heard from a bundle of blankets and out popped two little brown heads. Spotting the wolf, the creatures fled for safety. "Who are you, and why are you in my home without permission?"

She held her sword in front of her firmly, looking the intruder up and down. A growl was heard from behind Shal, nearly being drowned out by the sound of the wind-blown snow. Keeping her eyes on the man, the feral opened the door, a large white tiger walking in. Had it not been for his bright blue eyes, he would have blended in nearly perfectly. "I'm only going to ask you once, so answer quickly." The tiger looked to the wolf, the hair on his neck bristling as he growled deep in his throat.

((hope that's okay!))
reisil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2005 06:32
Phaedra trudged up to the small cabin that had been her uncle's home for such a long time. The fact that he was no longer there made her shudder. She did not wish to think of him as dead.
The cabin had once been filled with life, for her uncle had had a large family. But war,famine,drought, and disease had slowly picked off much of that family. Her uncle was one of the last to die, Phaedra did not know if that was a blessing or a curse.
Phaedra pushed open the door, expecting the cabin to be empty. For who would take the home of a dead man but a relative? Many believed such things to bring curses and bad luck upon whole families.
A quick glance around the cabin told her that there were at least two people there, this was not what she had expected. She was not sure how to proceed. Perhaps there were still some survivors, but then, why didn't they come to the funeral?
"Who are you?" Phaedra asked this softly, so as not to offend, for she was not sure who these people were. But they looked nothing like her uncle, and she was not the trusting sort.
Phaedra glanced around the room to make sure that nothing had been taken, not that there was much to take. Anything of value had been hidden long ago, and in plain sight. Even now she could tell where her aunt Lia had put her fine dishes and silverware. Her uncle's drawings were well placed behind the bare bookshelves.
Phaedra remembered the many times she had spent with her cousins, turning the bookshelves to reveal all the leatherbound books that shone in the dim firelight. These were just a few of the things that she remembered.

[Edited on 11/2/2005 by reisil]
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2005 08:10

((Yeah, that's a great start Flash! All I ask is that you try not to stray too far from Tolkien canon if you can help it! And thanks too, reisel, for joining! Great posts, both of you! )))

-x-

Teveldin stood for a few moments, looking around the cabin in a state of strange numbness. He still couldn't bring himself to just take a seat and make himself at home, knowing the cabin's one or more inhabitants were wandering out in the blizzard somewhere. He noticed things now that he had not upon initial inspection. For one, a short door at the back, near the fireplace which led to-who-knew-where, a pile of blankets by the bunks, and a sword hanging on the wall by the door. He stood quietly in the middle of the room taking it all in without touching anything. He frowned at Aldaron on the rug, wondering how the wild animal could seem so perfectly content with the whole situation which, to the elf, felt strangely wrong. As if on cue, Aldaron's head went up and he stared curiously at the door behind Teveldin.

Someone entered-- the only thing that alerted him to this fact being the sudden gust of icy wind behind him and the soft rustling of wet garments-- and Aldaron woofed softly. The wolf gave a soft whine-- urging Teveldin to turn, and he did so slowly, not wishing to appear threatening.

A blonde female stood in the doorway, spotting him and quickly reaching for the forgotten sword hanging on the wall. She was human by Teveldin's deduction, but a strange, amber tilt to her eyes gave her an almost elvish quality.

"Who are you, and why are you in my home without permission?"

Teveldin sighed inwardly. He had been afraid of this. As a ranger, he was often distrusted, misunderstood, and generally treated in an overly hostile manner. He did not reach for his own weapons-- he was never quick to do so against any kind of female, warrior or no-- but he knew his short respite in the warm cabin was at an end. Teveldin didn't answer at once, and the stranger prodded him non-too-gently, sword held out towards him. "I'm only going to ask you once, so answer quickly."

A giant tiger had now entered the cabin, intently locked in a stare down with Aldaron. Surprisingly, the wolf did not seem very concerned with either the stranger or her tiger, and remained calm. The wolf's animal instincts as backup of his own gave Teveldin confidence that he faced no real danger from this woman, for he was no threat to her.

"Forgive me, M'lady." He murmured quietly, making sure she could see his hands, free of weapons. "I did not mean to intrude: I have been traveling many hundreds of miles and sought only a place to rest for a while. I had worried that the master of this cabin might be caught in the storm; I see now that my concern was ungrounded. In any case, I beg your forgiveness, and I will depart at once if so you wish."

Neither had time to continue the pleasant conversation, for at this moment the door blew open once more and a third party stood upon the doorstep. She glanced with apprehension at the two strangers in the room, neither stepping forward nor fleeing.

"Who are you?" She chanced apprehensively at last.

Teveldin glanced back at the girl with the sword, visually questioning the plausibility of an answer to that question. As it was, he was becoming surer by the moment that he ought to have left well enough alone and bypassed the cabin as a possible resting place for the night. He had the feeling he was not welcome.
Flash
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2005 08:32
Shalimar's acute senses told her that someone else was near. She blew it off as mearly being another animal friend. When the door opened, she knew it was not the tiger Ruh. She turned, her hair falling across her face. The girl had looked familiar, but she did not know how.

"Who are you?"

The girl spoke softly and her memory stirred something inside of Shalimar. "It was your Uncle who owned this cabin." She sheathed her sword, for the moment forgetting the man. "I knew him, but briefly. It must be strange for you to find strangers in your uncle's home."

Shalimar turned to the man, her hand resting upon the white tiger's head. "There is no need for you to leave. Chances are you will die if you do. Feel free to stay, and you as well." She looked to the girl. "My name is Shalimar, and this," she said as she scratched the tiger behind the ears, "is Mohan. Treat him well, and he will return the favor."

Looking in the wolf's direction she added. "He has no problem with your friend as long as he behaves. Nor do I."

((sorry its a little short, I have to get going))
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2005 03:38

"It was your Uncle who owned this cabin." The first girl adressed the stranger in the doorway, ignoring Teveldin and, surprisingly enough, sheathing her weapon. "I knew him, but briefly. It must be strange for you to find strangers in your uncle's home."

Teveldin cocked one eyebrow as he followed this conversation. The amber-eyed girl finally turned back to him, one hand straying to rest idly on the tiger's large head. "There is no need for you to leave. Chances are you will die if you do. Feel free to stay, and you as well." She added, looking back at the girl. "My name is Shalimar, and this," she said as she scratched the tiger behind the ears, "is Mohan. Treat him well, and he will return the favor."

Looking in the wolf's direction she added. "He has no problem with your friend as long as he behaves. Nor do I."

Teveldin nodded in aquesence. He was a little taken aback at her abrupt acceptance of him, especially since most others in her case-- especially females-- would have thrown him out by now. Either she was not aware that he was a ranger, or was very, very trusting in strangers. Which was not always a good thing.

"You have my deep gratitude, M'lady." He replied thankfully. "Your kindness is greatly appreciated."

He glanced back at Aldaron, who had dropped his dark nose to rest on his huge paws, although his curious silver-green eyes had not left the tiger. Teveldin hoped this meant the wolfdog was not feeling inclined to stir up trouble at the moment.

"I do not believe Aldaron will show hostility towards Mohan, but if I may warm myself first by the fire, he and I will spend the night in the stable to grant you two privacy."

Speaking of two, he suddenly became accutely aware that the other girl was still standing hesitantly in the doorway. He turned to her.

"Forgive our rudeness," He said quickly, gesturing to the warm cabin interior, "Just settling opinions. Would you care to come in?"
reisil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2005 06:34
Phaedra glanced from one stranger to another, then turned and closed the door behind her. She was not accustomed to seeing these strange faces in the home of her family. She was not fond of the fact that she had been welcomed by a stranger into her own home.
Phaedra took of her gloves and cloak, then hung them on a peg near the door. After a quick glance around the room she set a pot of water over the fire, why not have something warm?
"Tea?" Phaedra almost smiled at the astonished look on the strangers' faces. Apparently they hadn't found where most of the things were hidden. Phaedra then smiled, they had hidden almost everything out in the open.
She sat down near the fire and rolled up her sleeves. A long, thing red scar ran up the inside of her left arm, she scratched at the scar absent-mindedly before tugging on her braid.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email