Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LadyGrey
Council Member
Send Message
Post Can someone check this please?
on: February 22, 2005 02:07
Hi! Been a while since I've been able to get back to translations and stuff. I'm probably really rusty, so I started out sort of simple. Can someone check this for me and give me any corrections? Please???

Ok, here is the original anecdote I got out of a gardening book of mine.

Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are.
Alfred Austin 1835-1913

Here is what I came up with, and I had trouble finding some words so I had to change the thing around and hope I didn't change much of the meaning.

Tiriathon sant lîn
ah narathon le ai le (?)

Lit: I will look at your garden and I will tell you who you (are)?

Anyway, maybe someone has a better way to say this to keep the meaning? Thanks for any help offered!

-LadyGrey

[Edited on 23/2/2005 by LadyGrey]
Aelgas
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Can someone check this please?
on: February 22, 2005 02:47
How about...

anno nin dirad e-hant lin
treneritha faer thenin lin

Lit. Give me the seeing of your garden and I will tell your true spirit

Nice thought... maybe I'll have a go at the 'The Kiss of the Sun for Pardon...' one

[Edited on 23/2/2005 by Aelgas]
Ailinel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2005 03:44
I think it should be lín and trenerithon (1. sg. ).

Furthermore treneri means "to recount, to tell to end" (Etym:374) and thenid means "firm, true, abiding" (Etym:38, so maybe these words would change the intended sense?

Unfortunately I can't provide any better suggestion, just maybe:
anno nin dírad e-hant lín
a heniathathon faer lín

..."and I will understand your spirit".

[Edited on 23/2/2005 by Ailinel]
LadyGrey
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2005 10:15
Thanx. :love: Couple of questions though.

First off, I know I know this somewhere in my brain but why is Sant -Garden, changed to e-hant? I know there must be a rule here I'm forgetting. Help? :banghead:

Also, I like both of these translations, but the last line (on the original phrase) "and I will tell you what you are" seems to imply that the person looking at the garden will be able to not just know, but actually tell you what sort of person you are. Is there a way to say that? Does that make sense? Hope so.

I love the translations though... I'm writing them down in my book for further reference. Thanx to you both soooo much!

LadyGrey

gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: February 23, 2005 11:03
It's the Mixed Mutation of the genitive 'en' before the letter _s_.
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Ailinel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2005 01:20

"and I will tell you what you are" seems to imply that the person looking at the garden will be able to not just know, but actually tell you what sort of person you are. Is there a way to say that?

It seems almost impossible to translate this sentence. You wrote: ah narathon le ai le. (By the way, I think it should be a before a consonant and the word order should be le narathon ,cf. le linnathon.)

In the few attested phrases with relative pronouns i and ai there always seems to exist some other word which the pronoun is referring to, cf. di ai gerir , Firn i Guinar.

In my opinion you would write (literally) somthing like: "And to you I will tell that what you are". But how?

a le narathon ?*da ("that", reconstructed by D. Salo) i or ai (very unclear) le ..."are"? Without a reconstructed and highly hypothetic word for the verb "to be" the sentence is hardly intelligible.
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: February 24, 2005 01:40
I'll just offer my suggestion. I think the sentence would need to be rephrased a bit.

Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are.

Lead me to your garden, and I will tell you what it reveals about you.

Togo nin na hant lín, a le pedithon i hant lín pêd o le.
Lead me to your garden and I will tell you what your garden tells concerning you.
Aelgas
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2005 02:56
Heh,

'give me the seiing' is as close to 'show' as I think you can get. If bân o le is permissable I'd render it as:

Anno nin dirad e-hant lín
Le pedithon bain o le

'I will say thee all [things] about thyself'

I have pân listed as adjective. Would one allow that naid was implied?

The 'and' is superfluous, I feel, as the quote is linnod-like in form if not in metre. Would an Elf waste effort repeating 'your garden'?

I'm never sure whether Sindarin should imply or be explicit where one can be so... in poetry I'd incline to the former... the spirit rather than the letter.

Just my opinion, though

[Edited on 25/2/2005 by Aelgas]
LadyGrey
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2005 08:01
hmmm... ok. you all have given me a lot to chew on here. lol. I'm gonna have to sit down and muse over this for a while. I guess my simple phrase was harder than I thought! I sooooo appreciate the help though!

----------------
You wrote: ah narathon le ai le. (By the way, I think it should be a before a consonant and the word order should be le narathon ,cf. le linnathon.)
----------------
Aelgas
Yes, your right about the 'a before a consonant' oops. As for for the rest of it... I just didn't know how to tackle it! Thanx! now I know!!!

Thnx for you help everyone! Back to my notebook...

-LadyGrey
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email