Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Starla
Council Member
Send Message
Post Books on Elvish
on: February 26, 2005 02:35
Are there any good books on Elvish (Quenya and/or Sindarin)? I'm trying to find any helpful textbook-style books on either language. So far, the best book I found (which I suprisingly found in my university library) was Gateway to Sindarin.
If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.
Fallendil
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Books on Elvish
on: February 26, 2005 04:55
There is a book by Ruth S. Noel called The Languges of Middle Earth. It provides a lot of brief information but cannot be used as a textbook. I have also found some innacuracies in it.
Fallendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2005 04:57
Oops! Speaking of innacuracies, it is actually called The Languages of Tolkien's Middle Earth!
Brannion
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2005 05:00
Fallendil, they say that that book is more than 30 years out-of-date and that it has some inaccuracies within it...

It may be a good book, but it's out-dated.
IdhrenethMeril
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: February 26, 2005 05:02
About the Noel book...a lot of the information (at least related to Sindarin and Quenya) is outdated, as far as I know, so take it with a grain of salt, and don't use it as your main resource. It might still be a good reference for Tolkien's other languages.

-Idhreneth
Uialdil_i_degilbor
Elvish Scribe
Send Message
on: February 26, 2005 06:21
I'm going to be less polite about Ms. Noel's book: Avoid it like the plague! To simply state that it's out of date is misleading; in many instances, it's simply wrong. Read the Elvish Linguistic Fellowship's (E.L.F.) review of The Languages of Tolkien's Middle Earth here.
Fallendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2005 06:24
I am well aware of the fact that it is outdated and, upon further examination of it, revise what I said previously: there are not a few innacuracies; there are as many inacurate statements as there are accurate ones.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email