Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Merry_Pippin_8
Council Member
Send Message
Post Gandalf "staf-happy" in ROTK?
on: March 03, 2005 01:17
Does anybody besides me think that Gandalf a bit "staff happy" in ROTK? I mean he doesn't hit Pippin or Denethor once in the book, and he doesn't hit anyone in the other movies.

Your thoughts?
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Gandalf "staf-happy" in ROTK?
on: March 03, 2005 02:03
Hmm...maybe it was for "humor relief", which was probably why Peter Jackson put those scenes in. It is kinda funny though....
PunkElvenPrincess88
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2005 03:33
I loved in TTT when leggy acked gimli if he needed to find him a box! does anyone know what i mean? sorry i'm a little sick and can't think straight... so i can't remember all the words said... :sob:
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2005 03:46
I loved in TTT when leggy acked gimli if he needed to find him a box! does anyone know what i mean? sorry i'm a little sick and can't think straight... so i can't remember all the words said... :sob:

Legolas said, "Shall I describe it to you? Or would you like me to find you a box?"

Gimli couldn't see over the wall, since he was so short....so he started complaining until Legolas said this line.
Nick_5
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2005 05:44
I think that Gandalf just the weapon that was the easiest weapon to use, he would have had to got his sword from its sheath, but he decided to save himself the trouble and just use his staff.
Gilwen_the_Sorceress
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2005 08:25
In fact, Gandalf has a terrible portrayal in ROTK.

And, yes, Denethor was the chosen one to be the victim of Gandalf wild-passion for using his staf.
The Witchking finally destroy the staf (My God, the Witchking is more powerful than Gandalf!), but, no way, Gandalf took another one to continue beating Denethor, after all the steward was stronger so can resist beating.

Gandalf has a bully behavior, he just trample on people like saying "Be strong, you weaky" or something, a quite bad message to audience because he attacked Denethor when he was totally devastated, so bad even when movie try to do the hardest to show Denethor as an idiot

No enought with all that: Gandalf is *racist*, considering weaker and lesser man those ones who doesn´t have kingly blood
Well, terrible...
elvenprincess524
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2005 11:28
I agree with the thought that Gandalf staf-happy was more for entertainment propuses. I also think that when Gandalf took Dethenor down in RotK, it was probably the only to knock Dethenor out of his.... crazy tantrum.
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2005 11:50
I thought the part with Denethor was funny!
Merry_Pippin_8
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2005 02:29
I didn't have a problem with it, I just wanted to see what everybody thought.
FrostLord20
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2005 03:59
yeah we was................and the part where gandalf hits denethor is messed up. but what i really hated was when they got gandalf lying on the floor helplessly in the witch king's hour
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2005 06:14
but what i really hated was when they got gandalf lying on the floor helplessly in the witch king's hour

*lol* Yeah...you're like, "Gandalf...do something!!!".
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2005 02:43
Yeah, that part kinda wierded me out,too? I can't remember, did he really break his staff in the book? I'm too lazy to go and get it.
GrimaWormtongue
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2005 07:06
I thought the part with Denethor was funny!

Me too - it has me in hysterics every time
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2005 11:35
Hehe. My sister and I joke about doing that to people we hate. Around Christmas we were like, "That would be the best present!!!"
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2005 01:38
I don't realy mind about Gandalf using his staff as a weapon. Or more Gandalf the White, who was more grumpy and tough, he kind of had to be nearing the war and all. But anyway, what bothered me was he lost his staff both as Grey and White, at Orthanc and with the Witch King..... where does he get another one????? Does he have a spares of them in his robes or something????
Morna_Child_of_Eru
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2005 10:56
I liked Gandalf whacking everybody. He's suppossed to be a lot more powerful as Gandalf the White. And seeing an old guy kicking butt is just cool.
Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2005 12:04
I think it's kind of symbolic. Gandalf is seen as wisdom, and so he's squashing the madness (Denethor) by whapping it on the head. Plus which it's funny and at that point in the movie, there's a need for a humour break.
i_am_the_precious
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2005 12:38
yes, probably used for humour relief - i mean the rest of the movie was kinda intense. it worked though - i found it hilarious!
Woodlandelfgirl87
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2005 02:08
I'm sure that was totally comic relief. But I really don't like it when his staff breaks. I mean, he's so powerful and everything! His staff can't break! That made me mad.
Eärnil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2005 01:16
wondering why people think that gandalf was rude when he hit denethor with his staff, 'cus the hour when denethor ordered people to abandon their posts, that was the hour when the courage of the gondorian soldiers was hanging in a very thin thread. I would have been glad to hit denethor with my staff in that moment. Bad leader= gandalfs staff in your face and gutter!! :cheers:
Sam_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2005 08:51
I though it was cool when Gandalf aggressively wielded his staff. It was so funny whenever he wacked someone good for not showing sense. Especially Denathor, at that moment in the ROTK I was so wanting to hit him myself, Gah! I also think it's cool when he turns the Nazgûl from the company retreating to Minas Tirith. Let's not forget his stand in the Mines. Gandalf is cool, he is my second favorite character.. you can guess the first.
Merry_Pippin_8
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2005 06:00
I though it was cool when Gandalf aggressively wielded his staff. It was so funny whenever he wacked someone good for not showing sense.

Yeah, like knocking sense into people.:evil:
Sam_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2005 08:18
Yeah, like knocking sense into people.:evil:

LOL good one!
Anoria_Miriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2005 04:57
I really liked it when Gandalf whacked people with his staff, especially Denethor.
Aside from it just being so funny, and as comic relief, its to stop Denethor ruining everyone's chances of living. Denethor is trying to get the soldiers to abandon their posts, and he's scaring everyone, when they were already so terrified at the thought of this battle.
I can see that it would be a little insensitive, as Denethor is racked with grief because he thinks Faramir is dead.
But on the whole I think its a good bit.
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2005 02:58
A few days ago, I was watching ROTK. After the Witch-King broke Gandalf's staff (This is my least favourite scene, BTW) I kept watching to see if Peter Jackson slipped up and had Gandalf carry his staff. He didn't though!
PunkElvenPrincess88
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2005 11:59

Legolas said, "Shall I describe it to you? Or would you like me to find you a box?"

Gimli couldn't see over the wall, since he was so short....so he started complaining until Legolas said this line.

that's it! thanks!:love:
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2005 03:13
I loved it when Gandalf used his staff, though it didn't really kill anyone but, GO Gandalf!
Aorelind
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2005 06:06
In fact, Gandalf has a terrible portrayal in ROTK....No enought with all that: Gandalf is *racist*, considering weaker and lesser man those ones who doesn´t have kingly blood
Well, terrible...

I agree, 110%. Gandalf and Denethor were both completely out-of-character for a lot of ROTK. Gandalf actually says in the books
"Denethor is another sort, proud and subtle, a man of far greater lineage and power, though he is not called a king." And in the movie, he basically says the exact opposite!

For me, the actual moment where Gandalf hit Denethor made me laugh, just because it was so unexpected...and then I started thinking about it and right there in the theater, like 10 seconds later I went "WHAT?!!?" I just couldn't fathom that PJ & Co. were characterizing Gandalf as so...bully-like and heavy-handed. Not to mention that Denethor was completely out of his mind and unsympathetic. The Denethor in the books came off as a really tragic charater like...Macbeth or King Lear, to me (although not exactly like them), driven mad by the "knowledge" given to him through the palantir. I didn't get a single hint of that in ROTK.
fbc
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2005 04:12
I agree Aorelind
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2005 10:47
I don't agree. I like Gandalf in the movie just the way he is.
fbc
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2005 06:31
I think it diminished his noble spirit. It made him look violent.
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2005 07:21

that's it! thanks!:love:

*bows*

Aorelind: I do agree. I haven't read ROTK yet, but I've heard much talk about movie Denethor being more of the exact opposite of what he was in the books. It's a shame.....but I think PJ just wanted you to really hate the guy. Ya' know.....adds more "spunk". Heh....
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2005 07:37
READ ROTK!! It's my favorite book!:love:
fbc
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2005 06:15
I don't konw. It made Faramir look weird, still subservient to his father even when denethor acted like a loon
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email