Author Topic:
LaylaGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Post Names
on: March 07, 2005 02:40
Hey guys!
Here is Layla (again!) and I need somebody´s help (again!)^^
I´m thinking of writing a fanfic and I need suggestions for FEMALE names for an elf, an hobbit, a women of Rohan and a Magician (just like Gandalf). but they all must be female names. I´ve already liked Elwing for the elf, but I want more ideas. Can someone help me, please?^^
Hannon Le.
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
Post RE: Names
on: March 07, 2005 09:32
That's not very helpful, since there are many names possible... have you tried looking through the Elvish Names Database, available through the Languages menu? (Also keep in mind that a woman from Rohan would typically have an Old English name...)
karlekskillen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2005 11:27
hmmm I would love to help you sound so exiting, but I'm quite new to Sindarin and the others...

But remember that Gandalf also is called Mithrandir.

'Gand' means "Vand" I think and 'alf' is simply 'elf'. So Gandalf is called elf-like whit a vand.... there is a more corekt expleation but this is whart I remember.

Mithrandir means The Grey Pilgirmme You know Gandalf newer like Saurman made a place to stay he moved all the time to help people and he was humbled.

Saurman is also called Curunir whitch means 'knowing man' and he truly knew mutch, litle too mutch because he got stucked in black arts and lost his humbled for people like hobits and he turn to evil.

What I want to say whit all this is. What are they _like_ the persons you need namnes for? People in middle earth often gave others names from what thery were like.

PS. I'm sorry for my bad english spelling DS.

Ranwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2005 12:47
Well, I would suggest first to find out a meaning for a name and translate it in the proper langue.

Ranwen
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: March 09, 2005 10:35
'Gand' means "Vand" I think and 'alf' is simply 'elf'. So Gandalf is called elf-like whit a vand.... there is a more corekt expleation but this is whart I remember.

Do you mean 'wand'? (Just out of curiosity.) Anyway, the others make good points -- names in Middle Earth seem to be descriptive in some way, e.g. Legolas in Sindarin roughly means 'green-leaf' (so calling the blond Elf Greenleaf Greenleaf is a bit nonsensical ), and there is actually 'The Laws & Customs of the Eldar' in HOME to refer to, at least for First Age Noldor elves...
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email