Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
Post New Quenya grammar & vocab in VT #47
on: March 13, 2005 12:02
The latest issue of Vinyar Tengwar, # 47, contains late texts by Tolkien, edited and commented by Patrick Wynne. There's lots of interesting information in the main texts as well as in the commentary, e.g. this:

* explanations of the varous words for "hand" and their usage, as well as names for toes and fingers
* new info on relative pronouns where "who" has the form ye, pl. i, while "that" is ya
* a chart of reflexive personal pronouns
* new vocabulary; e.g. the plural of má (hand) is máli, the adverb "well" is mai, words for "other": exa (adj), exe (noun)

Those interested in subscribing to Vinyar Tengwar, an extremely valuable journal, can do so here (please notice that it's rather technical, so will be of most use to advanced students):

http://www.elvish.org
Ohtarwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: New Quenya grammar & vocab in VT #47
on: March 22, 2005 10:10
Rimbë hantali, Malinornë
I keep meaning to sign up for it, but keep getting caught up with other things.
Woohoo! a word for 'other' - I've been wanting one for ages!
With _mai_ now meaning 'well', does that mean it obsoletes its use as 'if', or do both remain, do you think?
Malinornë
Send Message
on: March 24, 2005 02:33

With _mai_ now meaning 'well', does that mean it obsoletes its use as 'if', or do both remain, do you think?

I think anything is possible, but as long as we're not told that mai with the meaning 'if' was deliberately changed, I'm open to using both in my own translations. Natural languages often have words that look the same but have different meanings, so I'm not surprised if this is true for Quenya too. And both 'if' and 'well' are good words to have around!
Fallendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2005 03:31
Is "ye" vs. "ya" recent enough to be trusted?
Malinornë
Send Message
on: April 02, 2005 08:41
The material in this issue is from c. 1968, so it may even be Tolkien's last thoughts on the matter. But then it's of course up to everyone to decide for themselves whether to use the 'latest' source, or stick to a certain period, like when LOTR was published.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email