Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ellethiel
Council Member
Send Message
Post non-existant words...
on: March 13, 2005 10:29
I'm sure we've all run into some words in english for which there is no translation into sindarin. And some of them are very necissary and ordinary words.
So what do you do in that situation? I was thinking of just making up a word based on words which are similar to it.

the word I need that isn't in any sindarin dictionary is the word: Then

anyone have any suggestions? or other words you've run into problems with? or words you've had to create on your own to make up for their absense?

Lets help eachother out.
Bellenion
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: non-existant words...
on: March 13, 2005 01:47
I'm sure we've all run into some words in english for which there is no translation into sindarin. And some of them are very necissary and ordinary words.
So what do you do in that situation? I was thinking of just making up a word based on words which are similar to it.

the word I need that isn't in any sindarin dictionary is the word: Then

anyone have any suggestions? or other words you've run into problems with? or words you've had to create on your own to make up for their absense?

Lets help eachother out.

I always use _a_ 'and' for substitution; however, some words in Neo Sindarin had also been cognated:

anab
adv. then, afterwards, in the thought of Welsh _wedyn_; also cf. S. _anann_ (Elfling 24309)

ennas
adv. there, in that place; then, cf. _yna_ "there; then; thereupon; that" seems to be also used for this in Welsh (Elfling 23063)

Suil

[Edited on 13/3/2005 by Bellenion]
IdhrenethMeril
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: March 14, 2005 01:05
A lot of times, you can avoid using a word that there's no translation for by re-wording the phrase so that it means the same thing, but doesn't use the word you can't find. This is especially helpful if you don't want to make up words and would rather stay true to the few attested parts of Sindarin that we have.

-Idhreneth
Ellethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2005 05:50
yes true, you can usually get around it. And i'm not bad at doing it, but when you're doing something like translating a song you don't usually want to write a 4 word phrase just to get around using the word then, because it doesn't exist.
I was thinking of just making a past tense form of the word "now". would that work or should I do it a different way?

also the word 'can'
and:
always
ever
become

some others, i don't have the list with me. I just wrote down the words for which there was no translation in the song i was translating.
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: March 17, 2005 06:01
I can't help you with all of the words, but gar- (which means 'to have, possess') has also been glossed as 'can' in Fauskanger's verb lists. The Neo Sindarin pul-, adapted from Quenya pol-, has also been used, and 'always' can be an-uir, 'for eternity'. People might come up with suggestions for the other words.

(Don't quite know what you meant by 'I was thinking of just making a past tense form of the word "now"', BTW -- for 'then'?)

[Edited on 18/3/2005 by Fíriel]
SwissBoy
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2005 10:54
I've used the following in the past

1. Can--- Gar-
2. Always--- Ui
3. Ever--- Ui

Unfortunitally I've never come accross words for Then or Become. Taramiluiel has a lot of good reconstructed words and other useful info on her site at http://members.cox.net/taramiluiel/sindarin.htm I've found this to be of great help in my past compositions.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email