Register

Author Topic:
CelticMoon
Council Member
Send Message
Post sword care
on: March 18, 2005 07:14
Hey guys!
I'm a collector of swords, I have two long swords and Legolas' white knives...unfortunetly I really have no idea how to clean them or keep them in tip-top shape. Can anyone help me out? Thanks a ton!
kunamagreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: sword care
on: March 21, 2005 03:13
hey cool, i have the white knives too =)
the best way to clean them is using tissue paper and a very fine oil such as singer oil or japanese sword oil if you can get it. don't use industrial machinery oils like the w-8something..i can't remember, it comes in a spray bottle. those are far too rough for oiling swords.
you just need to tip a trail of oil on a folded piece of tissue paper and wipe the sword from hilt to tip. don't rub it, just wipe it, take the tissue off the blade, then repeat the process until it's clean. if the tissue paper turns black before it's clean, then oil and use another one. once you're satisfied, use an unoiled piece of paper and wipe if off a final time.
a sword should never touch water, and should never be left after oiling without being wiped off without oil a final time.
MirkwoodsArcher
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2005 02:04
Being stainless steel they dont really need oiling just wiping them with a clean duster cloth should do it .. unless they are carbon steel then oiling is indeed a good idea.
unscented posh toilet paper can be used instead of tissue paper.
CelticMoon
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2005 12:33
Thanks guys! That was very helpful!
~Aranel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2005 05:02
found this on a sword supplier:
Many swords are made the same way they were hundreds of years ago, and as such they are vulnerable to the same problems, mainly rust. Here are some tips to help you keep your sword collection looking new for many years to come.
Sword blades usually come in 2 types of steel, stainless, or high carbon. Stainless steel blades as you would expect don't rust but carbon steel will.

1 - Do Not store your swords in the scabbards for long periods of time, the moisture in the leather will cause them to oxidize rapidly.

2 - One way to avoid rust is to keep a light coating of oil on the blade, WD40 works very well for this purpose. You will find some of our items come shipped in an oil coating, this is the reason.

3 - Avoid excessive handling of the blade, the oils in skin are very bad for the metal. At the very least wipe off any finger prints.

4 - If you don't want a bunch of oily swords hanging around, another thing you can do is coat it with a carnuba type of car wax. This will give the blade a nice wax "shell" to protect it.

5 - If you should come across a rusty blade, clean it with WD40 this can clear up a lot of it. For stubborn rust, try a synthetic sanding pad such as the ones available from 3M. Use the finest grade, as to not scratch up the blade.

With a little preventative maintenance your sword collection will stay looking new for a long long time.
ash_nazg4321
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2005 08:38
Being stainless steel they dont really need oiling just wiping them with a clean duster cloth should do it .. unless they are carbon steel then oiling is indeed a good idea.
unscented posh toilet paper can be used instead of tissue paper.
stainless steel WILL RUST. it just doesnt rust as fast as spring/carbon steel. DW-40 works well, but Rennaisance Wax if you can find it, or Hanwei sword oil, thats wat i use on Anduril, keeps it very shiny and i KNOW it wont rust.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email