Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
SwissBoy
Council Member
Send Message
Post Sindarin word for so
on: March 18, 2005 12:41
I've done some looking around and I have been unable to find a word for "So" in either Sindarin or reconstructed Neo-Sindarin. If anyone knows where I might be able to find this word I'd be most greatful.
I am using the word so in translating the following "Our forest homes so dear." Things just don't sound quite right (in context to the rest of the poem) if I reword the sentence.
Beren_Elaran
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Sindarin word for so
on: March 18, 2005 08:14
Hmm...it's funny, but I never really thought about what the word "so" actually means in English. So I looked it up. My dictionary says: 1) as shown or described, 2) to such an extent, 3) very, and lots more definitions that aren't relevant. I would assume by the context that you are using "so" in the sense of "very", so if you can't find a word for "so" in Sindarin, use an intensive prefix. I am not sure exactly how to do this as it involves consonant fortification and dynamic lengthening and the like.

So... does anyone out there know how to form an intensive from "mell"? Or have a better way to express the idea of "so"?
Elrohir_TarAmandil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2005 08:29
I'm pretty sure an- =very. But, I can't find a good word for 'dear'.
Beren_Elaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2005 09:17
dear = mell or muin. Take your pick. I'm not sure if there's any distinction of meaning between the two, whether one is used for people and one for things, or whatever, but there they are.

"Very dear" I guess would be "ammel" or "ammuin".
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: March 20, 2005 12:39
Though the word might not always be appropriate, edregol 'especially', might also be used in some cases.
SwissBoy
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2005 09:28
Thanks this helps a bit
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: March 26, 2005 10:39
SwissBoy, I've amended the "Adjective Lesson" just a bit on intensifiers. "An-" is a Quenya intensifier, so use "a-" + dynamic lengthening for "very dear" .... a + mmell > amell. The double M would probably not stand here, as Sindarin usually only has one set of "double consonants" in a word. You could use E prefixed to the stem MEL also .... e + mel > emel, but it really doesn't look right.

Though the word might not always be appropriate, edregol 'especially', might also be used in some cases.

That's a great idea !!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email