Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LadyGrey
Council Member
Send Message
Post Please check and see if I got this right? or close... :)
on: March 21, 2005 02:19
Would someone please check this for me and see if I got it right? I had some trouble with some words and so I hope that it is close. I'll start with the original...

Psalm 2:8 - Ask of Me, and I will make the nations your inheritance, the ends of the earth your possession.

OK...

Canno nín, ar annathon le i 'airth, i vethen an ambar garnel.
Aerlinn 2:8

Lit. Cry out to me and I will give you the regions, the end of the earth your possession.
Psalm 2:8

Suggestions anyone?

Thnx in advance! Crossing my fingers. lol

-LadyGrey
Beren_Elaran
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Please check and see if I got this right? or close... :)
on: March 21, 2005 05:33
A few suggestions...

ar is a dialectical Sindarin word (North Sindarin I think), borrowed from Quenya. So if you are going for "normal" Sindarin, it should be ah instead.

Remember that when a noun is plural, you have to use the plural definite article in, which causes nasal mutation. So, i 'airth should be i ngairth.

An means "to", so you want to use the singular definite genitive article en here instead.
Ailinel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2005 06:57
Further suggestions:

Since the verb is can-, the imperative should be cano.

"me" would be nin, cf. _A tiro nin, Fanuilos_.

methen seems to be an adjective, cf. VT45:34 ("final"), but you could use methed or meth.

ambar is Quenya, amar Sindarin.

Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: March 21, 2005 10:49
For "the nations" you might want to use "i ndyr", as "dôr" is a region where "certain people" live.
Uialdil_i_degilbor
Elvish Scribe
Send Message
on: March 22, 2005 05:12
I think that 'cry to me' should take the dative pronoun: cano enni. You want to say, 'cry to me', not 'cry me', so the dative is necessary.
LadyGrey
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2005 06:37
Le hannon everyone for the suggestions. I'm confused on a couple of things though, :twitch: so I have a few questions. Sorry about the dotted lines but I don't know how to do those cool quote boxes that everyone uses.

----------------------
An means "to", so you want to use the singular definite genitive article en here instead.
----------------------
OK, unsure how to ask this, hopefully you will understand. What is the singular definite genetive? I know the article is 'en' but what is this and how do I use it?

--------------------
methen seems to be an adjective, cf. VT45:34 ("final"), but you could use methed or meth.
-------------------
Are the words 'methed' and 'meth' forms of 'methen'?

ok last question....

----------------
I think that 'cry to me' should take the dative pronoun: cano enni. You want to say, 'cry to me', not 'cry me', so the dative is necessary.
---------------

ok, my question is though, since this seems to be a command to cry out (I think it's a command anyway) do I still use the dative? I guess what I am wondering is why I need to switch to the dative here. I'm horribly "Grammatically Challenged" :banghead: lol

Thnx for the help!

-LadyGrey
Ailinel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2005 08:37

Are the words 'methed' and 'meth' forms of 'methen'?

These three words are derived from the same root _MET_, but the root took different suffixes at earlier stages of the language.
LadyGrey
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2005 09:54
Thnx Ailinel! I get it now.

Can someone answer my other questions? Still confused. Thnx so much for the help everyone!

-LadyGrey
:love:
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: April 13, 2005 02:07
Hi LadyGrey,

Le hannon everyone for the suggestions. I'm confused on a couple of things though, :twitch: so I have a few questions. Sorry about the dotted lines but I don't know how to do those cool quote boxes that everyone uses.

Well, just put [ quote ] at the start of the text you want to quote, and [ / quote ] (without the spaces in both) at the end. Test it in the Test forum.

----------------------
----------------------
OK, unsure how to ask this, hopefully you will understand. What is the singular definite genetive? I know the article is 'en' but what is this and how do I use it?

You'll probably want to review Lesson Four (esp. the section 'Genitival Relationships' -- http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Workbook&file=workbook&dp=workbook&page=34 ), but to put it simply, the genitive ('OF THE') expresses possession. Now, in English, OF THE always remains the same, but in Sindarin, the genitive article must agree with the second noun of a phrase in plurality, so 'the end of the earth' would be i veth en-ambar -- ambar is singular, so the singular genitive EN should be used. If the second noun was plural (e.g. 'the end of the earths' -- silly example, I know ), you'd need to use the PLURAL genitive IN -- i veth in-embair.

(So my explanation might be a bit confusing. As I said, see Lesson Four again. )

---------------

ok, my question is though, since this seems to be a command to cry out (I think it's a command anyway) do I still use the dative?

IMHO, if you want to retain the 'to me' part in your translation, you should use the dative ('me' being an indirect object / dative, and often being recognised by the use of 'to' or 'for). If you just wanted to say 'cry out!' (the 'you' being implied), leaving it as cano! would be fine (and yes, it's an imperative / command).
LadyGrey
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2005 05:06
Hannon Le Firiel! I really appreciate it. I think I get it now, but I'm gonna sit down and read over this stuff really well anyway. I just can't seem to keep all the grammar stuff in my head. Do you have any suggestions? If not, that's ok. Thanks again!

LadyGrey
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email