Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Thenin
Council Member
Send Message
Post I need help with my name in Elvish
on: March 30, 2005 01:33
Just like I said, I need help with my name. I don't care if it is in Sindarin or Quenya, it's just that "Alicia" (my name) is nowhere to be found in the name database here. It means "truthful". If you could tell me if Tolkien ever made a word for "truthful" in Elvish or anything that even slightly relates to it, that would be great. Thanks!
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
Post RE: I need help with my name in Elvish
on: March 30, 2005 01:55
Aragrl, there's no word for 'truthful' in Sindarin, but what comes close is thenid or thenin, both of which mean 'true'.
Uialdil_i_degilbor
Elvish Scribe
Send Message
on: March 30, 2005 03:50
I search through 15 different sites on the meanings of names. 12 of the 15 gave 'noble (one)' as the meaning of 'Alicia'. Only three gave 'truthful'. If you accepted the opinion of the majority ('noble (one)), the choice is easy: Arwen.
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: March 30, 2005 07:37
I search through 15 different sites on the meanings of names.

Not all name sites on the Internet are accurate, and a lot of them obtain their name meanings from each other. The translators at the ENDB use http://www.behindthename.com/, and according to that, Alicia could mean 'noble'. However, it's up to Aragrl, although if you choose to use Arwen, it would more specifically mean 'noble maiden', FYI.
~Caradhriel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2005 08:18
'Alicia' means 'noble birth', which, I think, is Nostariel, in Sindarin.

There is a very good names data base on www.arwen-undomiel.com. Just click on the link that says 'Elvish', scroll down and click on the links that says 'Names Database'. It has both male and female names.

Hope that helped!

[Edited on 1/4/2005 by ~Caradhriel~]

[Edited on 6/1/2006 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
IdhrenethMeril
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: April 01, 2005 05:57
There's also a very good names database here on CoE.

As has been stated before, one name can mean several different things, according to interpretation and culture. It's up to the individual when it comes down to deciding between name meanings for a translation.

-Idhreneth
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: April 01, 2005 06:39
'Alicia' means 'noble birth', which, I think, is Nostariel, in Sindarin.

How was the name formulated? I can't quite figure out the elements of the name and how they mean 'noble birth'. :0

Also, Idhreneth's perfectly correct -- the Elvish Names Database here @ COE (which does include Rohirric/Old English names as well, don't let the title mislead you! ) is an excellent resource.
Uialdil_i_degilbor
Elvish Scribe
Send Message
on: April 02, 2005 06:01
How was the name formulated? I can't quite figure out the elements of the name and how they mean 'noble birth'. :0

I understand the elements:

nost = 'family', 'household'
ar- = 'royal'
iell = 'daughter', 'maiden'

It sounds like an attempt to construct a name that means 'daughter of a noble house'. The biggest problem with this construction is ar-: it is a prefix, not an independent element that can be stuck in the middle of a word like that.

The name 'Alicia' seems to derive ultimately from G. 'Adalheidis', which means 'noble sort'. There is no element that means 'birth' or 'household' in the original form of the name, so I see no need to introduce them into a neo-Sindarin 'translation' of that name.

Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: April 02, 2005 10:41
[I understand the elements:

nost = 'family', 'household'
ar- = 'royal'
iell = 'daughter', 'maiden'

Thank you Uialdil. Quite silly of me not to realise that :blush: , but the use of the prefix didn't occur to me (I was expecting an adjective or similiar).
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email