Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
frolijahlover
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post Sin City
on: April 01, 2005 05:41
thats an awosome movie...any one watched it?
Isafjordur
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Sin City
on: April 02, 2005 08:55
Hi.

I am two minds actually. I want to see it because I like Film Noir, but I don't like extreme violence- and I have heard the movie gets very violent. I have seen from web critics sites that the movie has gotten good reviews. Plus, I admire how Elijah Wood chooses to be in challenging roles like the mute werewolf wannabe Kevin. He has gotten some good reviews for that performance- very creepy, I have heard. I like that he is not always trying to be the headline actor but sometimes to be a supporting actor in a movie that is done well and receives good reviews like this film and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." It seems to be paying off for him- so far the movies he has been in since LotR have been critically praised.

But, no, I don't think I will watch this one. I don't think I would be strong enough. I tend to think too much about the pain the characters feel in shooting and decapitation scenes and such. But I am rooting for the movie to do well- it seems to be doing a lot of daring, different things.

Nick_5
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2005 09:56
Why is the movie in black and white but some parts are in color?
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2005 03:58
My dad just saw it recently, and he says it was great....but very violent. *lol* Then again....I love stuff like that. But since it's rated 'R', I can't see it. I'm sure it's a really good movie though.

And CountNick, black and white makes the film a bit more dramatic and "appetizing" for the audience. It puts you in suspense and makes you cringe to the edge of your seat...as you can't really see what's happening as well and don't know what will happen next.
Nick_5
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2005 05:05

And CountNick, black and white makes the film a bit more dramatic and "appetizing" for the audience. It puts you in suspense and makes you cringe to the edge of your seat...as you can't really see what's happening as well and don't know what will happen next.

Thanks
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2005 07:44
*lol* No problem. I think I was right on that....
VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2005 06:22
Another reason for the black and white, I believe, is that the movie is based on a comic book series by Frank Miller and comic books are usually printed in black and white. Perhaps they thought it would be interesting to film it that way as well.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm planning on going this weekend if I can, since I've heard that it's really awesome.
Sam_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2005 08:44
To add to the black and white topic, there are different types of contrast. You have brightness contrast, like the shades of a color. Then there is color contrast, which is most commonly used since we see in color. One more I will mention is emotional contrast, as in feeling one extreme of emotion through a movie or book and then shifting to the opposite end of the spectrum. So in Sin City, the director most likely decided on black and white with selected coloration for symbolic and attention-directing reasons. From what i saw of the previews, each character had something different colorized, I am sure there is some significance there. Also it simplifies it for you mind, like in color there is so much information going into the brain, by making it black and white, he can colorize what he wants you to concentrate on.
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2005 08:50
Hey yeah, I never thought about that, VilyaTook. That's a cool perspective. I also agree on what Sam_Gamgee said. Very observative.
Sam_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2005 05:30
Hey yeah, I never thought about that, VilyaTook. That's a cool perspective. I also agree on what Sam_Gamgee said. Very observative.

Thanks I have been into photography for 7 years, so I have a very analytical perspective when it comes to it, and music as well, but that doesn't keep me from sitting back and enjoying.
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2005 07:50
Wow. Seven years? My mom would be proud. She's always loved photography and the like, but she never did get to fulfill her dream of doing it.....yet. That's really cool. What do you photograph/snap-shot? Animals? People? Scenery?
Faiza
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2005 01:22
Well, I can't watch as it is too violent for me and since it is R-rated, I don't watch such movies.

However I read a lot of the reviews and they say that Elijah has done a wonderful performance in it and I have seen some of the stills and it's quite true,Elijah is creepy, in it.
Faiza
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2005 01:27
Hi.

I am two minds actually. I want to see it because I like Film Noir, but I don't like extreme violence- and I have heard the movie gets very violent. I have seen from web critics sites that the movie has gotten good reviews. Plus, I admire how Elijah Wood chooses to be in challenging roles like the mute werewolf wannabe Kevin. He has gotten some good reviews for that performance- very creepy, I have heard. I like that he is not always trying to be the headline actor but sometimes to be a supporting actor in a movie that is done well and receives good reviews like this film and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." It seems to be paying off for him- so far the movies he has been in since LotR have been critically praised.

I quite agree with you there.Elijah has himself said many times that he wants to do something different.
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: April 06, 2005 09:16
Elijah is great in it, although extremely creepy. The entire movie is a little heavy on the violence, but it was extremely well made. Visually amazing to watch - a perfect depiction of Frank Miller's graphic novel. It definitely earns its R-rating though! Bruce Willis is also fantastic - probably the best character in it.
Sam_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2005 01:26
Wow. Seven years? My mom would be proud. She's always loved photography and the like, but she never did get to fulfill her dream of doing it.....yet. That's really cool. What do you photograph/snap-shot? Animals? People? Scenery?

I am not a professional photographer or anything. I am just self-taught. I take a lot of scenery and flowers. One of my best shots is a close up of a purple iris. People seem to like my photography, but I wouldn't be the one to say if it is any good. Annûniel has seen most of it.

I really want to see this movie, just have to wait til I get my next paycheck.
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: April 07, 2005 01:56
I didn't like it all that much. The dialogue felt stilted, and some of the acting was just plain bad (although, to be fair, some of the acting was also very good). And the violence was so over the top, it felt almost like a parody. I can see what they were trying to do with the movie, and there were certain aspects I liked (the black and white, with bits of color was gorgeous), but overall, I just felt sort of "eh" about the whole thing. I saw it once, and it was somewhat entertaining, but it's not something I'll bother watching again.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2005 11:56
I think the last movie I saw in theatres was RotK, haha. I would love to Sin City but I'm getting pretty tired of having to do thing I like all by myself. Well maybe after exams are over (in a few weeks) I can convince someone to come with me .
Gelireth-NymphQueen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2005 04:46
I just saw it and i feel kinda stupid by not seeing it sooner. I thought it was awsome!!!!!! The whole black&white with a bit of color was really cool. Normally that would bug me but this was done well. The violence was quite well done and not ove the top. Did anyone else think Clive Owen(Dwight) was really hot in this????
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email