Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
hendrik_micah
Council Member
Send Message
Post mutations in sindarin
on: April 03, 2005 08:06
are the mutations really necessary? i mean, i could just learn sindarin without the mutations and not call it sindarin right?
LOTRfan
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: mutations in sindarin
on: April 03, 2005 08:45
If you want to really speak in Sindarin, yes, they are necessary because they are a part of Sindarin grammar. I suppose you could not use them and just not call it Sindarin, but you wouldn't be understood by anyone and it would sound very different from how Sindarin is meant to be.
Uialdil_i_degilbor
Elvish Scribe
Send Message
on: April 03, 2005 09:03
That would be like studying Latin and not learning the noun declensions. Without knowing the mutations you couldn't even recognise the elements of compound words or names, let alone be able to recognise commonly used words in their mutated forms in a sentence. What's the point of studying a language without studying its grammar?
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: April 03, 2005 02:54
(I'll just reiterate. )

Hendrik, while going through the Workbook's lessons and exercises, you don't need to memorise the mutations yet, but you should have AT LEAST the Sindarin Mutations Chart at hand to help you -- feel free to refer back to the Lessons as well. You'll find that the more Sindarin translations you do, the more familiar mutations will become for you. That said, mutations are what gives Sindarin its distinctive flavour -- they're extremely important, as the others have pointed out. )
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email