Council Member
Send Message
Post Sindarin words for...
on: April 12, 2005 02:41
Hi there...

I'm trying to traduct the passage of the book below:
"There flowered a White Tree, and that was for Gondor; but
Seven Stars were about it, and a high crown above it, the signs of Elendil..."

My current translation is: "Ennas edlothias Galadh Nimp, a sa an Ngondor; dan ossan Odog Elin, a rî vrand or san, i thainn Elendil*"

But I'm not sure about some points:
1) Would be correct using _ossan_ for "about it"?
2) Does _or san_ have to be lenited to _or han_?
3) I've made the reconstruction _tann_ for "sign, token" from the quenya word _tanna_. Is it a possibility?
4) I must traduct Elendil into Sindarin, someone knows where can I find a traduction for this?

If you find some errors, please tell me.

Le hannon
Fallendil
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Sindarin words for...
on: April 12, 2005 10:44
Does _or san_ have to be lenited to _or han_?

"Or" causes liquid mutation. However, "s" in unnaffected, so "or san" would be correct.

I must traduct Elendil into Sindarin, someone knows where can I find a traduction for this?

In Quenya, Elendil means "Star-friend" or "Star-lover". Perhaps a Sindarin translation might be "Elvellon" or "Elvelethron". I don't know if there is an attested example of his sindarin name.
Ailinel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2005 04:15

In Quenya, Elendil means "Star-friend" or "Star-lover". Perhaps a Sindarin translation might be "Elvellon" or "Elvelethron". I don't know if there is an attested example of his sindarin name.

In Sindarin, _Elvellon_ means "Elf-friend", "Elf-lover", cf. WJ:386 and 412.

Imo _Elendil_ shouldn't be translated.
Thorondil
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2005 12:11
"Or" causes liquid mutation. However, "s" in unnaffected, so "or san" would be correct.

I know that, but there is a text in the Thorsten Renk's course that presents _Or hain lodatha faer nîn ar cenithon bain_. Idon't know why it is lenited in the example. Maybe it was the same case of the frase I wanna traduct.

Imo _Elendil_ shouldn't be translated.

I thought about it, but.. What tengwar mode should I use to write this in the text? Should I mix Sindarin mode with Quenya mode?

Thank you people!
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: April 13, 2005 09:09
I thought about it, but.. What tengwar mode should I use to write this in the text? Should I mix Sindarin mode with Quenya mode?

I suppose you could translate Elendil to its Sindarin equivalent if you wish (Tolkien does it himself in some of his translations), but perhaps it's because I'm lazy, but I'd leave it intact. As for mixing modes... I'd be inclined to say 'no', and you can write Elendil legibly in most Sindarin modes, I'm sure of it.
Uialdil_i_degilbor
Elvish Scribe
Send Message
on: April 14, 2005 02:37
Apparently, the Edain were not adverse to writing Quenya in Sindarin modes. The Quenya name Elessar Telcontar was written as if in Sindarin in the three versions of the King's Letter. Also, in Tolkien's own dust jacket design for RotK, the Quenya words sínome maruvan ar hildinya[sic] tenn' ambar-metta are written in a sindarin-style mode. These examples are probably in what Tolkien referred to as a 'general usage' mode applicable to both Quenya and Sindarin.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email