Register

Author Topic:
ladyAredhel
Council Member
Send Message
Post Coronation Street
on: May 08, 2005 03:20
Hey
has anyone been watching Ian Mckellen on Coronation street? I dont normally watch it but i watched alittle bit and though Ian totally rock. Hes so funny!
You all should be watching it
Shadow_fax
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Coronation Street
on: May 08, 2005 04:44
I was hoping someone would set up a thread on this. Hannon le, ladyAredhel. I too don't usually watch Corrie but I just couldn't resist watching the episodes since Ian arrived at Weatherfield. I agree, he is very funny as the dodgy Mel Hutchwright. Very good acting from him too. I don't know if anyone saw him last week on The Paul O'Grady Show. I agree with Christopher Lee when he says that Ian is a nice Man.
This is what Ian has to say about his stint on Corrie on his own website:

http://www.mckellen.com/video/corrie/report1.htm

Have you heard, apparently Orlando Bloom is also to have a role in Corrie sometime in the future.
GrimaWormtongue
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2005 04:54
I watched the omnibus on ITV2 yesterday - he's so great in it!!!! I don't like the 's' word tension between him and Norris though. Maybe it's just supposed to be innocent, but I'm afraid I have a rather corrupt mind and it kind of squicks me out.

Yeah, I saw him on Paul O'Grady on Tuesday - he was SO funny!! When he kept bursting into song with the Corrie theme tune, lmao!!!! He's really great!
Valderra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2005 08:06
Unless I am travelling or in another country, I never miss Coronation Street. My husband got me addicted to it. LOL

And yes, I was rather surprised at his guest appearance. He played a good part, haven't seen him in the last 2 episodes though.

I am now waiting for Sally to be found out. I hope they will make a big stink of it.
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2005 05:04
I haven't seen this show since 1979 (when I left the UK). I can't believe it's still on after all these years. To be honest, about all I can remember about it at this moment is that there was this woman who always had her hair in curlers or pins. I'll have to try to remember some more. I used to watch it regularly, glad to know it's endured.
Valderra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2005 03:26
I haven't seen this show since 1979 (when I left the UK). I can't believe it's still on after all these years. To be honest, about all I can remember about it at this moment is that there was this woman who always had her hair in curlers or pins. I'll have to try to remember some more. I used to watch it regularly, glad to know it's endured.

LOL No one runs around with curlers in their anymore. But that was something you did see often on British TV. I have only watched the programmes since the latter half of the 90s and it's getting better and better.
Shadow_fax
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2005 04:18

Aah, the good old days! That was Hilda Ogden - she was great. You will probably remember Ken Barlow then,Celebrian. He is still in it and is the only cast member to be in the Soap from day one.

I love the way Ian McKellen keeps saying, "I lurrrv" all of the time. I've just read today that Ian wants to appear in Emmerdale and Eastenders as Mel Hutchwright, dropping into The Woolpack and The Queen Vic and cadging more free meals. LOL!
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2005 06:08
Hilda Ogden. That's her! I'm impressed with your memory and amazed that Ken is still there. I remember there was one episode in which Hilda had her hair combed out, a wedding or something, and it was a big deal in the TV papers! I don't suppose Crossroads is still on? Remember Bennie?
delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2005 09:51
Crossroads is no longer on. They tried to bring it back a few years ago but it just did`nt go down well at all. There was no Benny nor Sandy in it - watched it for the first few weeks but it just was not the same as before.

Its the Soap Awards this week (dont know the right name for this) and they think Corrie is going to come out on the top.

I think Coronation Street has just the right blend of humour and when it needs to be serious they cover the stories really well. It just keeps going on and on and keeps improving with age.
Even the smallest person can change the course of history.
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2005 04:57
No, Crossroads wouldn't work without Benny and Sandy. I seem to remember the person who played Sandy was ill for a time--Hodgkins Disease I believe. But it is nice to know Corrie is still going strong. And Dr. Who is making a comeback as well.
GrimaWormtongue
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2005 02:39
Dr Who has made a comeback, and it's got the highest ratings on Saturday nights (I think...well, higher ratings than Celebrity Wrestling anyway!). It's great ( ^__^ )
delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2005 11:40
Just got to congratulate Coronation Street for getting the Best British Soap Award :cheers:

This is well deserved.

And I have got to agree with GrimaWormtongue the new Dr Who Series is great. It is really sticking to what Dr Who fan are looking for - and that is coming from one of those kids who used to hide behind the sofa back in the 70`s when I first started watching it.

It was nice to see so many other of the soaps receiving awards as well.
Even the smallest person can change the course of history.
Shadow_fax
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2005 02:18
Could anyone tell me what happened in Corrie last night (Friday) with Ian McKellen? I was on the phone for most of the episode and had my TV on mute. But Mel Hutchwright seemed to be on quite a lot last night. I only caught the end where it looks like he sold Emily's ornament to get some cash . He is only on for 10 episodes - I think with last night it has been 6 episodes so far. I think Ian's great in Corrie and I keep half expecting him to come out with a Gandalf quote.
RachieAchie
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2005 04:55
Yeah, I thought having Ian McKellen in Coronation Street was a fantastic idea.... I'm surprised they got him to go on! I really like his character as well... a bit smarmy... ok, a lot smarmy, but come on... he's better than Norris any day...

What did everyone think of the whole Harrises story? Poor Craig!! It's like "Hmm, quick summary of Craig's life so far... Dad dead, killed by sister, dead, mother blamed for it, in prison for about 4 years." not the happiest time. Poor little thing. **hugs Craig** :hug:
Valderra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2005 03:53
Could anyone tell me what happened in Corrie last night (Friday) with Ian McKellen? I was on the phone for most of the episode and had my TV on mute. But Mel Hutchwright seemed to be on quite a lot last night. I only caught the end where it looks like he sold Emily's ornament to get some cash . He is only on for 10 episodes - I think with last night it has been 6 episodes so far. I think Ian's great in Corrie and I keep half expecting him to come out with a Gandalf quote.

Emily was looking for her ornament and Ian confessed to have broken it. She said it cost £200 and he coulnd't believe it. My guess is he got less money for it when he sold it. It wasn't said that he took it but you could see it from the expression on his face.

Also, Sally is having a big argument with Kevin, who doesn't believe her when she says she didn't have an affair.

Anyway, you can see the Omnibus edition today, can't you?

And Craig... well, I am getting a little tired of his behaviour. Always shouting and arguing and in a bad mood. I think they dragged it all out a bit, first with his sister's neverending hysterics, then the mother, and now him. Not my cup of tea. LOL

Anyway, did anyone else notice that when his sister was in the church - for her father's service, she went up to Christ and said "I did it" and then some other stuff. And that's where they left it till the next time.
So I was waiting to see what happened in the next episode, whatwith her confessing and the police being there.
BUT... the repeated that last bit but WITHOUT her saying "I did it". I was so annoyed, I sent the writers an email, asking them if they think that all viewers are fools... LOL

I mean, cliffhangers are fine but don't CHEAT US !!
RachieAchie
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2005 09:39

And Craig... well, I am getting a little tired of his behaviour. Always shouting and arguing and in a bad mood.

Aaw..... cut him some slack. I don't think I'd be feeling my best if I was in his situation, lol!

But I do know what you mean... I got kind of sick of Katie as well. It was like "If you're going to keep being so conspicuous with all your shivering and weeping then go and stay in your bedroom! Tell everyone you're overcome with grief and can't possibly go out!" lol
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email