Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post War of the Worlds
on: May 19, 2005 01:25
Is there anyone looking forward to this? I sure am! Remake of a classic and of course the famous radio broadcast that freaked the heck out of everyone.
It's directed by Steven Spielberg, so I'm positively sure it's going to turn out great! Look at E.T! Look at Close Encounters of the Third Kind!! They both were excellent movies! Can't wait to see it!
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: War of the Worlds
on: May 19, 2005 01:45
I agree!! The first one scared the tickles out of me, so this one is sure to be a blast! The effects look great, and (like you said) since Spielberg is directing, it can't go wrong.

It seems like Dakota Fanning is appearing in a good number of movies these days. I wonder how popular she'll turn out to be?
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2005 07:35
When I was a kid that was one of my favorite movies. It'll be interesting to see what sort of modernizing they do to it.
LotrLuva
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2005 12:42
I'm excited also. It looks awesome. I love the poster, too.
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 20, 2005 04:45
I am looking forward to this movie as well! Though I actually found Close Encounters boring, and E.T. scary... *cough* I liked most of Spielburg's other movies though.

And yay for Tom Cruise! Cruise is awesome and a wonderful inspiring actor and person!
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 21, 2005 09:25
Though I actually found Close Encounters boring, and E.T. scary... *cough* I liked most of Spielburg's other movies though.

LOL
I believe Close Encounters was one of his first movies, so that might explain a bit. I loved that movie though. Hehe, E.T...
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2005 08:40
I think it's time to T.R.U.C.K. this thread.

I've been looking forward to this movie but not that it's finally coming out I'm losing enthusiasm for it. The whole thing about Tom Cruise making such a huge promo bid and all the to-do with his new girlfriend is kind of off-putting to me. In the past, a lot of movies that got really huge pre-release hype turned out to be very disappointing and the price of a movie ticket these days makes me want to be sure I spend it on something worth the investment.

What effect has all the hype had on any of your thoughts about going to this one?
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: June 27, 2005 05:39
I'm definitely going to go see it, unless it gets really awful reviews. I haven't paid much attention to the whole Tom Cruise thing (although, having read a recent issue of EW, he certainly comes off as a nutty fruitbar...what's his issue with psychiatry??), so his antics don't affect my likelihood of seeing it. I love apocalyptic movies/books, and this is one I'm really looking forward to!
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2005 06:24
although, having read a recent issue of EW, he certainly comes off as a nutty fruitbar...
Bwah! Yeah, I personally think the guy is "cuckoo for cocoa puffs." I'm sorry to say the whole Tom Cruise thing has put me off this movie. I think I'll just wait for it to come out on DVD.

[Edited on 28/6/2005 by truegirl]
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 28, 2005 11:47
I ain't seeing this for Tom Cruise. To tell you the truth, I could really care less about him. *please don't kill me Cruise fans ^^*
I'm seeing this because it looks like a good movie, and because it's Steven Spielberg.
Ninjoo
Craziness' Spiritual Caretaker
Send Message
on: June 29, 2005 05:42
To tell you the truth, I could really care less about him

Same here.

I’m not sure whether I want to see it. I haven’t seen the first movie, but I’ve read the book.
I’m not a fan of turning books into movies, since most of the time to my opinion, everyone does a pretty bad job (LOTR being an exception, of course ).
As a huge fan of the book, I don’t understand why Spielberg didn’t follow the book a bit more, why does it have to be in America and not in England? Why let it take place in 2005 in stead of 1894, like the novel? and even; why turn it into a new movie anyway?

Oh well, it’ll probably be a nice movie with lots of Spielberg-effects and Cruise-shots, but no, not for me.
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2005 04:07
I like the book too. It's a classic. When I was a kid I loved the original movie (I hadn't read the book then). I think it would be safer to say both these movies are based on the basic idea put forward in the book, rather than literally on the book itself.

The whole idea is to play on the paranoia currently gripping most of the world, with the overall theory that if something really awful happened to the Earth, particularly if it were invaded by aliens, political controversies would come to an end and all the peoples of the earth would work together to save it.

There have been a lot of movies and TV shows over the years based on this premis (Independence Day and "V") just to name a couple, and even more books. Most importantly, at least to the Hollywood Higharchy, it is a premis that almost always nets a huge audience.

I really do want to see this movie, mostly because it's a Spielberg. I'm just not sure I can deal with Tommy the couch killer as the star.
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2005 04:24
I really do want to see this movie, mostly because it's a Spielberg. I'm just not sure I can deal with Tommy the couch killer as the star.
Another, Bwah!! Yeah, it does look like it might be a really good movie, but the Cruise factor is still making me balk. My eyes roll back in my head at the mere mention of his name, so that might get in the way of me actually viewing the movie!

But seriously, I'm glad Celebrian and Ninjoo mentioned the book. I was going to ask if anyone had read it. Since they both liked the book, I'm inspired to read it now. Thanks, guys!
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2005 06:37
You're very welcome truegirl :wave:

I like the book, but then I like old books. You have to keep in mind when it was written.

As for little Tommy, he does have a pretty face and can do a good job when he has a strong director. I still haven't made up my mind......... :dizzy:
Ninjoo
Craziness' Spiritual Caretaker
Send Message
on: June 30, 2005 09:54
Welcome indeed

So funny, when i raed the book, i kept forgetting it was written in 1898. So when Wells wrote about Europe and the Tasmanians:
And before we judge of them too harshly we must remember what ruthless and utter destruction our own species has wrought, not only upon animals, such as the vanished bison and the dodo, but upon its inferior races. The Tasmanians, in spite of their human likeness, were entirely swept out of existence in a war of extermination waged by European immigrants, in the space of fifty years. Are we such apostles of mercy as to complain if the Martians warred in the same spirit?
I kept wondering why he didn't choose a more up-to-date example, like the WWII, where they tried to whipe the Jews out of existence. But then i realised 'Oh yeah, it's written in 1898, not even WWI had taken place yet!' *lol* Silly me...
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2005 02:59
That's one of the reasons it's always been one of my favorites. Science Fiction and Fantasy have often been used as platforms to raise social consciousness. Whether it does any good or not is for the readers to decide.
Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2005 02:44
It's amazing how well Wells still reads after 100+ years.

The soundtrack of this movie's by John Williams, so it should be good. Although as one friend pointed out to me, the music from the latter half of the trailer is the same piece as in the last half of the trailer for FotR, the one you can still watch at www.lordoftherings.net
Precious!
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
on: July 03, 2005 04:58
I saw this Friday and was happy with it. I didn't let Tom Cruise and all the hype surrounding him stop me from enjoying it.

Haven't seen the old movie in a very long, long time but I remember the aliens didn't have legs and their 'eye' was a big green thing.... Has anyone found the old movie on vhs or dvd anywhere?

Woodlandelfgirl87
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2005 01:39
I just saw it yesterday and I loved it. I never read the book or saw the other movie, so this was completely new to me. It was awesome! But did it freak you out a little? I mean, especially that sound the tripods made! I was scared, I must admit.

Another question. I know Miranda Otto just had her baby, so when she was filming this movie, was she really pregnant? I read on Imdb that she was, but they don't always give the most reliable information. :dizzy:
Nick_5
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2005 03:16
I saw this and I have to say I was a little dissappointed.

Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning were great togther but the movie lacked backstory. We had no idea why they were attacking, where they were from...we only knew that they'd been planning this for a million years. The movie had a middle and end. No beginning. The special effects were pretty good and as I said before the cast was great but the story didn't go anywhere.

I also was really happy when I realized that Miranda Otto played the mother

[Edited on 12/7/2005 by CountNick]
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 12, 2005 03:47
We had no idea why they were attacking, where they were from...we only knew that they'd been planning this for a million years.

Umm, if an alien invasion were to take place, would we know why they were attacking and where they came from? It sounds kind of difficult to figure out.:dizzy:
MirkwoodElfCiarrai
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2005 06:44
Hehehe I saw the movie twice so far, and I really liked it.
But I kinda argee with Nick here, it did lack some things.
but all together the movie was awesome

Ray Ferrier: They're not from around here.
Robbie Ferrier: You mean they're, like, from Europe?
Ray Ferrier: No, Robbie, they're not from Europe.
SHADOWFAX9043
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2005 05:18
awsome movie!! very extream!! it was good. my friend thought that the aliens look like teddy bears or something. i've got a wierd friend
running_wingfoot
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2005 08:30
I saw it yesterday and I think it is a very good movie. The suspense grows and let you stay on the edge of your seat. Especially the part in the basement when the alien eye thing comes in. The build up of suspense is almost Hitchcock like.
Nick_5
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2005 04:19
We had no idea why they were attacking, where they were from...we only knew that they'd been planning this for a million years.

Umm, if an alien invasion were to take place, would we know why they were attacking and where they came from? It sounds kind of difficult to figure out.:dizzy:

It isn't real life

It's a movie and backstory is helpful.
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 14, 2005 06:57
It isn't real life

May not be real life, but there is a possibility of life out there. I seriously doubt an alien invasion would take place though. Why am I rambling about this? :dizzy: It's like you said, it's only a movie! x_x

[Edited on 14/7/2005 by Dream~Giver]
Frodofreak16
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 25, 2005 03:43
i also thought it was very good! lol, i saw it once at the drive in, then once at the theater, and it was AWESOME!! lol, it was sooooooooo loud in the theater though!! i still gotta take my dad to see it, i can't wait to go see it againlol
StrangertotheRain
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2006 02:11

You either didn't pick it up fast enough, or you weren't paying attention, one of the two. They explained why the aliens attacked us in the first place. They wanted our planet. They wanted to occupy the Earth. But in order to do so, they had to exterminate us (not a pretty sight:dizzy:.). If you don't believe me, check this. It came straight from the movie:
No-one would have believed in the early years of the twenty-first century that our world was being watched by intelligences greater than our own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns, *they* observed and studied, the way a man with a microscope might scrutinize the creatures that swarm and multiple in a drop of water. With infinite complacency, men went to and fro about the globe, confident of our empire over this world. Yet across the gulf of space, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic regarded our planet with envious eyes and slowly, and surely, drew their plans against us.

Number two, what do you mean it's not real life? In a universe this big, can you really say or think that there's no life out there? That perhaps, maybe there would be an invasion? And if an alien invasion did take place, how the heck would we know why they came in the first place? Something like that in a movie sounds more realistic.

I'm sorry if I sounded vicious, I just wanted to point that out. No harm done.

[Edited on 23/1/2006 by StrangertotheRain]
silver_Tinuviel
Finrod's Harp
Send Message
on: January 28, 2006 02:21
Sorry, guys, no offence, but this was one of the worst movies I have ever seen!
Image Reeling and foundering, as ever more strong/ The chanting swelled, Felagund fought,/ And all the magic and might he brought/ Of Elvenesse into his words./ Softly in the gloom they heard the birds/ Singing afar in Nargothrond,/ The sighing of the Sea beyond,/ Beyond the western world, on sand,/ On sand of pearls in Elvenland.
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 28, 2006 03:08
Sorry, guys, no offence, but this was one of the worst movies I have ever seen!

LoL! No offense taken! I just saw it a few days ago. It wasn't as good as the commercials made it unfortunately. I think I'll check the book out and see how that goes.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Wow, this thread is an old one.

I saw the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds the other day. I have seen it lots of times and it still scares the phooey out of me.

The lightning strikes that bring the aliens in are just like the lightning strikes we get down here in Florida...over and over and over.

I still like the original War of the Worlds. Great old classic.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email