Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Council Member
Send Message
Post Sabriel Fans!
on: June 12, 2005 01:39
Have any of your read Sabriel by Garth Nix? I just started reading it and it is really good, although a little confusing at times. If you love Lord of the Rings, which all of you here do, then you'll like this book too. It combines mordern age technology, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter into one book. It's a masterpiece!:love:
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Sabriel Fans!
on: June 12, 2005 06:25

SABRIEL! And Lirael and Abhorsen! *Squee* Gotta love 'em. Haven't re-read them for a couple of months, but there you are. If you think Sabriel is good then wait until you meet Lirael. She RAWKS.

One of my nicknames comes from those books. Sammet: a mix between Mogget and Sameth. ^^
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2005 08:52
I'm glad I've found another fan! I got up the part when Sabriel reaches Abhoren's house.

Which book do you like the most?
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 12, 2005 09:10
Uhhh... That's a hard one. it'd definatly be Lirael or Abhorsen, but I'm not sure which... Probably Abhorsen, because Mogget really, really prods buttock in that one, and it draws everyone together.
Princess_Sailasiri
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2005 12:03
Here is another fan! I borrowed all three from the library and after I finished I had to buy them, I liked them so much.

I like Liriel, mostly because of the Clayr's library but I do like Mogget's bit in Abhorsen too. He's a lot of fun to read about.
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 14, 2005 06:02
In a very boring English lesson we ended up putting all of our friends to a character and I got Mogget (which made me very happy ), but also we put all the characters to actors who we though'd be good in a film/play of it.

Lirael is deffinatly better then Sabriel. Then again, Sabriel doesn't carry a bow...
Princess_Sailasiri
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2005 05:46
In a very boring English lesson we ended up putting all of our friends to a character and I got Mogget (which made me very happy ), but also we put all the characters to actors who we though'd be good in a film/play of it.

That's awesome! Mogget's great.

I liked Liriel more than Sabriel because she was more of a sympathetic character. She wasn't as tough and she felt more real.
Plus she didn't have to marry Touchstone, unlike Sabriel. I think that's a good thing. I never really warmed up to him.
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 15, 2005 06:29

Touchstone's a sweetie! Not as cute as Sameth, but still sweet.

Sabriel and Lirael made me think of Buffy and Willow a little bit, but there you are. I just think that Lirael was a darker character, and I tend to prefer characters with a little darkness.

SPOILER:

Although I had to admit much squeeing in the Touchstone-Sabriel "death" part of Abhorsen. And wanting to hug.

Actually, that happened quite a lot. ^^
aranelthedude
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2005 09:54
I love those books! I think Lirael is my favourite, because I love the idea of a huge enchanted library with spell casting and magical creatures.

I cried at the end of Abhorsen (noo! Doggy come back!) and I reckon that Nick and Lirael should have got together. For the world book day, Garth Nix wrote a sequel I think. Is it any good? I didn't read it.
j_mercuryuk
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2005 10:44
I saw them in the book store and thought they looked good. But I didn't buy it as I have exams to revise for and I can't afford to diverse my attention.
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 19, 2005 03:48
My friend got the sqeual thing and waved it in front of my face... And then refused to lend it to me 'til she had finished, and now we have broken up for exams... :cry: So I'm afraid I can't give my judgement on that. I WILL get it off her one day, though...:evil:
Princess_Sailasiri
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2005 10:13
Wow, a sequel? No I hadn't heard about that. Sounds cool.
I have heard of him writing Across the Wall : A Tale of the Abhorsen and Other Stories that's coming out soon though.

Yes, as I've said I love the library too. One of the most vivid parts for me.

[Edited on 19/6/2005 by Princess_Sailasiri]
faramirofminastirith
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2005 08:51
*points to self* Love the books! I've read them so many times.. They get better every time you read them, I think.. I have no clue why, they just do...
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 22, 2005 02:20
Because you pick up new stuff everytime you read them, just like LotR. :love: I love books that do that.
j_mercuryuk
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2005 10:11
I got Sabreal yeaterday, and I've got up to chapter 6, and I gotta say, I@m lovein' it.
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 26, 2005 12:23
I'm re-reading Abhorsen, because I can't be bothered to go into town and get Sabriel and Lirael out. *glee* I forgot how funky Mogget is. *steal*
Elbereth~Gilthoniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2005 04:50
I'm re-reading Abhorsen, because I can't be bothered to go into town and get Sabriel and Lirael out. *glee* I forgot how funky Mogget is. *steal*

I'm actually re-reading Abhorsen again too! Although Lirael's whole *hand* thing and the poor Disreputable Dog kinda put a dampner on the end. Sabriel has to be my favourite. Touchstone going nuts towards the end was priceless! Actually fell a bit in love with Touchstone :blush: Ha ha
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 28, 2005 10:44
Well I love Lirael! Or at least what I have read of it. I am up to the part where Lirael and the Disrepuatable Dog are sneaking the sword from the Chief's room to defeat the Stilken (is that right?). I really love it though! I haven't read Sabriel unfortunately as all the copies in my local library were out so I might have a look soon to see if it was returned or not. Let you know what I think once I finish Lirael though I gotta say I am liking it so far!

Namarie,
~Arwen
Elbereth~Gilthoniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2005 09:47
What was the sword called again? Ah this is gonna p*** me off until I remember..was it Nehima or something along those lines. When Lirael meets Sameth, things get v. interesting. Although I really enjoyed all the 'library' chapters because it was a welcome release after the first few depressing chapters
Kathlyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2005 10:52

Yup. Love the books, read all of them. First got into them when I bought Sabriel 2-3 yrs ago. Hope Garth Nix writes some more.
Personally Sabriel iz my fav. character.
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 04, 2005 07:28
Well I read a bit further. I am up to the page where Lirael has found the Book of the Forgotten or whatever it is called in the place where the door marked: Lirael's Path. I have also read up to the part where Sameth is trying to avoid his sister cos she wants him to do loads of work and stuff. What do you mean by when Lirael and Sameth meet it gets interesting? huh? Well I bye I am off to read more of Lirael now!!!!

Namarie,
~Arwen
j_mercuryuk
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2005 11:48
I've just finished Sabriel and I loved it. I'll have to buy Libreal when I have some money to spend.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email